Should I include this on "why our school"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bubblepop

Reaction score
I am hoping to get some opinions on expanding on my "why our school" response. I've been looking into the various free clinic program that many schools offer to their communities, because free clinic work is my #1 extra-curricular I would like to participate in during my medical school education. Would it be appropriate (character limit permitting) to include why I'd like to get involved if my reasons involve not me, but my SO?

My SO was uninsured for a long time, and unfortunately did not qualify for ACA since we live in a state that did not expand medicaid. Free clinics were the only way that he could receive medical care. Although he is now insured (yay!), I've really seen first hand what a huge impact these free clinics have on individuals in this situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm just a premed like you, but it seems like if you have the space to include the detail about your SO, it's a strong explanation of your passion for medical outreach via free clinics.

Maybe try and include it in a way that makes it school specific though. The question is "why our school", not "why free clinics". What is special about that schools free clinics and how does that special thing relate back to your SO's medical care?

Reactions: 1 user