Should I inform a school about a change in gap year plans? Or wait until the interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Danny Dinglehart

Reaction score
I just received an II for a highly competitive program that puts an enormous emphasis on research. I planned on doing research abroad during my gap year and put this in my secondaries, but changed my mind after getting my first MD acceptance. Instead I'm now training for a thru hike (across multiple states) as this might be my only chance to do so before med school. Should I update the school about my change in plans or just wait until the interview? This is my number 1 school, and I'm worried that a perceived lack of commitment to research might reflect poorly on me. The research abroad position also sounded rad on paper so I'm concerned it might have played a big role in why they extended the II in the first place. The thru hike wouldn't start until Spring and I plan on volunteering/ working for my old undergrad lab until then.

Members don't see this ad.

Just update the school before the interview and explain that you’re pursuing a research position closer to home/school. This should be fine as long as you didn’t convey in your secondaries that you are 100% doing this position, as opposed to saying that you “plan” to take this position