Should I let it go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desertraichu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into northstate, but my loan situation is dismal and I have until friday to make a choice. My pharmacy apps for next year are all turned in. Should I just let go?

Members don't see this ad.

Well I guess i should be candid haha. i've been applying for salliemae and every bank in the vicinity, with every cosigner who is willing and getting declined. To add to this, my family is a housing program from the government (yeah i'm underprivileged XD) and if I go to northstate, because it's so far from where I originally live, my family loses the house. It's absurd but I don't make the rules. The notion of making my family lose a house and trying to survive 2-3 years of pharm school on only private loans is really bearing me down and I feel like I should just let go and try again next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow... thats a tough situation. What is your family's plan if you DO decide to go?

Gosh, if I were you I would turn down Northstate. You would just feel so stressed out and bad while in school that your grades may drop etc. Pharmacy school is stressful enough as is.You also need to factor in the financial stress that you are facing....

Wow... thats a tough situation. What is your family's plan if you DO decide to go?

The plan is "we'll figure it out somehow" lol, actually sounds like my loan situation, gosh i wish northstate would defer acceptance haha

is it YOUR family (as in your kids and wife) or is it your immediate family (mom, dad, siblings) that we are talking about?

chronically ill dad and mom, and 2 brothers

It's such a bitch that a guy like you can't get a loan to go to school to get a better life for his family. I'll pray for ya, man.

Family is the most important thing to me too, but that doesn't mean staying home is the best thing for your family. As sad as it is to consider, you may be the man of the family at some point in the near future, and pharmacy school may be a way for you to break the poverty cycle and provide for your mother and brothers.

Family is the most important thing to me too, but that doesn't mean staying home is the best thing for your family. As sad as it is to consider, you may be the man of the family at some point in the near future, and pharmacy school may be a way for you to break the poverty cycle and provide for your mother and brothers.

Sounds to me like the OP is already the man of the family. Still, would you accept a position knowing that one of your family's basic needs would be in jeopardy? I know I wouldn't. All the guilt I would be experiencing would be a recipe for failure in pharm school.

Sounds to me like the OP is already the man of the family. Still, would you accept a position knowing that one of your family's basic needs would be in jeopardy? I know I wouldn't. All the guilt I would be experiencing would be a recipe for failure in pharm school.

Good point. I think we can both agree it's a really difficult decision. I'm not sure guilt would be responsible for failure though. In my observations, the guys that have the most to lose work the hardest and thus get the grade. I guarantee that if this guy goes to pharm school hes going to work a hell of a lot harder than your average student.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good point. I think we can both agree it's a really difficult decision. I'm not sure guilt would be responsible for failure though. In my observations, the guys that have the most to lose work the hardest and thus get the grade. I guarantee that if this guy goes to pharm school hes going to work a hell of a lot harder than your average student.

I think what the OP is more worried about is that if he accepts the position then his family might be homeless. Knowing that because you left for school, your family is scrambling to find somewhere to live, would make me feel really guilty. I think if it was a position where times would be a lot harder for them financially (at least they would have somewhere to sleep), then it wouldn't be so bad.

I'm applying for scholarships and trying to get work. Any idea if kroger offers any tuition assistance anymore?

This is a great idea from Slopples in another thread.

If you are worried about paying back loans and finding a job as a pharmacist you might want to take a look into being an Army Pharmacist. Or any brnach for that matter, but I have only looked into the Army.

http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/m_servic...s_benefits.jsp

They have a loan repayment program that pays up to $120k in loans for you. Being in the military would teach leadership skills and help build valuable experience. It doesn't hurt on a resume either. The downside is that you'll most likely earn less than you would in the civilian sector, you'll be in the military and will possibly have to deploy or be assigned oconus.

Not trying to recruit, but just know that there are options out there that can help with loans with a commitment.

Link is here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=747398

active duty, do you get to choose to stay in the US or do you have to go overseas? If i stay here, my parents would be okay haha. Actually the part I'm concerned about is getting loans. Salliemae is the only option for cncp right now, and umm i've been denied 3 times. And doing this every year, considering the state my family is in, man i need alternatives or i'm just dropping out.

Last edited:
Can your family get housing around Northstate?

My little bro is going to school in so cal so they want to stay with him. I'm kinda of the one they feel safe letting go haha. Well I've tried one more cosigner, fingers crossed.

My little bro is going to school in so cal so they want to stay with him. I'm kinda of the one they feel safe letting go haha. Well I've tried one more cosigner, fingers crossed.

thats some tough situation dude

Its time like this I believe in life little miracles. Can you write a detailed email/ letter to the school describing your situation? talk to someone that may do something...a community foundation that offers need based scholarships.

My thought process is, if you are going to give up, you have NOTHING to lose by exploring these highly unlikely-to-work options.

desertraichu, hopefully this last cosigner of yours will have the credits to get your loan application approved, if not, I think you might have to turn down the acceptance and wait for another year. Your only other alternative is to enroll in an MBA program and get federal loans from there, than borrow about 25k from other sources like Wells Fargo. Hopefully your sallie mae loan is approve though as their rates are decent at this point (several people I talked to has rates below 9%). Really try your best to make this acceptance work out; you've been unsuccessful 3 years in a row and you were taken of the waitlist this year. PM me if you have any questions regarding the school or if you want any advise.

I'm applying for scholarships and trying to get work. Any idea if kroger offers any tuition assistance anymore?

Yes, they pay $2000 a year in exchange for having you work for them upon completion for 3 (I think?) years. In other words- no.

I can't believe you're not qualifying for need-based scholarships/aid. It's mind boggling. I really, really, hope things work out for you. Have you contacted the program under which your family has housing to see if any alternatives exist with other programs if you were to go away? And NorthState won't consider this an extenuating circumstance and allow an exception to deferral?

I'm rooting for you.

I got into northstate, but my loan situation is dismal and I have until friday to make a choice. My pharmacy apps for next year are all turned in. Should I just let go?
I've heard of some really amazing stories of students who couldn't get in because of finances - old professors who knew them well helped them out to pull in money for the students... I think I've heard even some pharmacy schools try to help in other ways to get financial aid for struggling students. (BTW, these are all word-of-mouth, so I can't cite sources here.)

OP: Hope your situation gets better... it's bound to.

I really want to break the cycle of poverty my family is stuck in haha. Perhaps it's for the best that I decline and talk about this experience when applying to other schools. Anyone know on supplementals that ask if you've gotten into a pharmd program if I'll have to say yes or if that affects me?

I really want to break the cycle of poverty my family is stuck in haha. Perhaps it's for the best that I decline and talk about this experience when applying to other schools. Anyone know on supplementals that ask if you've gotten into a pharmd program if I'll have to say yes or if that affects me?

man, your story is very touchy. I tell you that: when I got to graduate school 5 years ago, I did not have a single penny in my pocket, and neither any of my family's members. I still could get through it, but with a lot of pain.

I think I got an option for your situation: in case you really stuck, try to get into Pharm.D/phd program. That program will at least give you a stipend that can pay part of your tuition. Use this option as your last resort, in case all else fail.

Last edited:
Isn't the lack of finaid because of Northstate's candidate status?

I've heard of some really amazing stories of students who couldn't get in because of finances - old professors who knew them well helped them out to pull in money for the students... I think I've heard even some pharmacy schools try to help in other ways to get financial aid for struggling students. (BTW, these are all word-of-mouth, so I can't cite sources here.)

OP: Hope your situation gets better... it's bound to.

I hope so too. Good luck OP.:xf:

On the one hand, it's not worth the financial trouble for some unestablished school.

But if this is true,
try your best to make this acceptance work out; you've been unsuccessful 3 years in a row and you were taken of the waitlist this year.
then letting go seems undesirable too.

I know a friend who went to Northstate for the first year and then transfered out. He said that couple of his friends did the same thing b/c they can't continue to pay for tuition. It's really stressful not being able to get the loan.

I suggest that you think about this before setting your foot thru that door. I urge you to delay and apply somewhere else. Maybe try a 3 year program out of state so u don't waste a year. Best regard.

OP: just wondering, how old are you if you don't mind me asking? If you're young, you have time to work out the finances, like maybe find a job and save up for a year. Good luck to you!

I would suggest not going to Northstate and try again next year. A lot of candidate schools will accept anyone to attend their school in order to have students pay the tuition. With all the pharm schools these days; all new schools are like this. Dont leave your family homeless without first thinking of options.

man, i don't know your full situation (as in how difficult you think it would be for you to get into a better school than northstate), but it doesn't seem like it's worth going.

1) northstate isn't that great of a school to be paying like 40k a year for. i'm really skeptical of all the new schools popping up that charge hundreds of thousands of dollars in supplemental fees and deposits, and charge up the rear in tuition. stick with state schools (even out-of-state) or "name-brand" private schools imo, since they will offer you financial aid, and state schools can give you the option to pay in-state tuition if you establish yourself as a resident, or if you TA. Pharmacy schools are the exception to "you get what you pay for".

2) i heard private loans are horrible, and taking out ALL private loans because your school doesn't offer finaid seems even worse for you (and your family's) future

but what would your family do about the house if you got into a pharm school that's even farther away, next year?

I think going would be a really bad decision. The school isn't fully accredited and even if you can get the loans, you'll be taking on a LOT of debt when your financial situation is already poor.

Take some time to work and save up some money, especially if you can improve your application at the same time. If a candidate school pulled you off of the waitlist in your third application cycle, there must be room for improvement somewhere.

Northstate isn't worth the threat to your family's livelihood (no school is). Perhaps you should post your stats and maybe we can provide some suggestions for areas of improvement. California schools are competitive to get into.

I know a friend who went to Northstate for the first year and then transfered out. He said that couple of his friends did the same thing b/c they can't continue to pay for tuition. It's really stressful not being able to get the loan.

I suggest that you think about this before setting your foot thru that door. I urge you to delay and apply somewhere else. Maybe try a 3 year program out of state so u don't waste a year. Best regard.

Is this why their deposit is $6000? ($1000 non refundale and $5000 upfront tuition)
They do this to make sure you have money to pay for going here and that you're not a person in financial difficulties. They won't even accept credit card. meaning you need to have this money in cash.

how ridiculous is this.

Is this why their deposit is $6000? ($1000 non refundale and $5000 upfront tuition)
They do this to make sure you have money to pay for going here and that you're not a person in financial difficulties. They won't even accept credit card. meaning you need to have this money in cash.

how ridiculous is this.

I don't see a problem in this, it's a fair way for the school to protect itself. The point is to make sure the student is really committed in attending the school. Otherwise, people would just drop out anytime they like, no school wants this. The $5000 goes to tuition and is refundable if a student withdraw. I did pay all these deposits through credit card.

I don't see a problem in this, it's a fair way for the school to protect itself. The point is to make sure the student is really committed in attending the school. Otherwise, people would just drop out anytime they like, no school wants this. The $5000 goes to tuition and is refundable if a student withdraw. I did pay all these deposits through credit card.

It is ridiculous, my deposit at another school was $250 (reasonable), and at a another school, $1000 (which would go to tuition) which I already thought was too much.
Pretty sure the newer schools charge outrageous deposit amounts because they know they are the back-up school, and to capitalize on it as much as possible since a large portion of their reason for opening was to make bank off the whole "everyone let's get a pharmD" craze...

sorry i'm kind of wary about the excessive amounts of new pharmacy schools.

i'm hoping you at least get the 5000$ back if you withdraw?

Last edited:
It is ridiculous, my deposit at another school was $250 (reasonable), and at a another school, $1000 (which would go to tuition) which I already thought was too much.
Pretty sure the newer schools charge outrageous deposit amounts because they know they are the back-up school, and to capitalize on it as much as possible since a large portion of their reason for opening was to make bank off the whole "everyone let's get a pharmD" craze...

sorry i'm kind of wary about the excessive amounts of new pharmacy schools.

i'm hoping you at least get the 5000$ back if you withdraw?

Ok, let me clarify this again. $1000 is nonrefundable deposit. $5000 is refundable if student withdraw before classes start (counts as fall semester's tuition). $250 for seat deposit, perhaps state school?

Newer schools are back up schools, that's strictly your opinion, no comment here. :thumbup:

Whether it's refundable or not, $6000 is just too much for a deposit. You might be a bank, but others have to donate blood to get this kind of money. Let me guess, did you get accepted to Northstate? And do you think "candidate" school should get this much money up front?

Exactly, right? Usually, the newcomer charges less to entice new customers to give them a try because people usually don't pay same or more for something unknown or less when other options are available.

Whether it's refundable or not, $6000 is just too much for a deposit. You might be a bank, but others have to donate blood to get this kind of money. Let me guess, did you get accepted to Northstate? And do you think "candidate" school should get this much money up front?

I'm as broke as the next person on this forum so I think the $1000 seat deposit is already alot but Northstate isn't the only one that's charging the amount. Again, the 5k is part of the tuition that students have to pay. The school's status has nothing to do with it's tuition, or seat deposits for that matter. If you look a few posts up you'll see that I'm part of its 2014 class.

Exactly, right? Usually, the newcomer charges less to entice new customers to give them a try because people usually don't pay same or more for something unknown or less when other options are available.

Not really, it has to charge the students a little more if it wants to compete with other established schools within the region.