Should I let my interviewer know....?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

navigator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to a research technician position at a local hospital.

Should I let my interviewer know that I'm applying to medical schools (and won't be in the position for more than 9 months?)

My inclination is Yes, but then there is the chance he will not be interested in continuing the interview... And I would really like the job.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In the name of integrity, yes.

If you want the job, no.

Reactions: 9 users
I wouldn't advocate lying about your plans, but there is likely a benefit in being vague about your timeline.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you for sure leaving in 9 months, whether you're accepted or not? Or will you stay there if you don't get in? I say don't mention it. You don't know what will happen with the application cycle (although I hope you do well!)

Reactions: 3 users
I would be as ambiguous as possible. You should figure out your spin on the issue ahead of time. If you don't want to lie, avoid lying in it, but I would not spontaneously disclose this information.

The majority of applicants do not get into medical school in a given application cycle. So, at this point, there is less than a 50-50 chance that you will be going to medical school in 2016.

Unless you will quit this job in 9 months regardless of what happens in the admission cycle, don't go talking about what you HOPE will happen but that you have no assurance WILL happen.

At the same time, the interviewer could be telling you he wants to hire you for the foreseeable future but may know in the back of his mind that he's going to fire you in 9 months if his grant is not renewed.

Reactions: 9 users
What about if OP starts getting interviews throughout the year? Wouldn't your employer question why you need all these days off/reject your requests?

What about if OP starts getting interviews throughout the year? Wouldn't your employer question why you need all these days off/reject your requests?

Personal reasons.

Should I let my interviewer know (today) that I'm applying to medical schools (and won't be in the position for more than 9 months?) .
No. Employers will never hire you if they know you're only working short-term, unless the job description says "temporary", of course.

I was in a somewhat similar position last year (minus the incredible athletic achievement... ;) )
I'm currently a respiratory therapist but am also in the process of interviewing at med schools.
I started at my job a year ago and during my interview I was asked where I thought I would be in 5 years. I was upfront with them about wanting to apply to medical school in the future but reminded them that the process of getting in might take a couple years. I didn't let them dwell on that for too long however and quickly moved back to talking about how excited I was about the prospect of joining their clinic.
Worked out alright for me and the doctors I work with have been very helpful/supportive through the whole process.
Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
If he asks, don't lie about it.

But if you actually really want the job, I wouldn't bring it up

Thanks for the tips you all! I got the job, and didn't mention that I was currently applying :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all,

So I got the job, and am in a bit of a pickle. I was offered the position In Sept but because of HR hassles didn't start till 3 months after in late Dec. I was also accepted in late December, a week before starting work.

My PI is the president of the local cancer hospital I work at, so I deal with his lab manager directly. I also have 2 lab mentors who I directly work with everyday. I have a great relationship with my mentors and lab colleagues but haven't had a chance to establish a connection with the lab manager or PI.

When I first applied, I told them I wanted to do some research before pursuing medical school (didn't offer a definite timeline), and said that I wouldn't be in the lab for more than 1-2 years.

I repeated that several times. If anyone in the lab asked, "So, have you applied? When are you applying?" in a social, get-to-know-you way, I'd say, "No I haven't, but I will apply this summer or next."

Basically I lied. This is in bad form but I really didn't know what else to say! I couldn't just tell them right when I started that I was already accepted.

Anyway, now I'm about 4 weeks till my last ideal day of work, June 1. How should I break the news? Thanks so much for your advice!

Hey all,

So I got the job, and am in a bit of a pickle. I was offered the position In Sept but because of HR hassles didn't start till 3 months after in late Dec. I was also accepted in late December, a week before starting work.

My PI is the president of the local cancer hospital I work at, so I deal with his lab manager directly. I also have 2 lab mentors who I directly work with everyday. I have a great relationship with my mentors and lab colleagues but haven't had a chance to establish a connection with the lab manager or PI.

When I first applied, I told them I wanted to do some research before pursuing medical school (didn't offer a definite timeline), and said that I wouldn't be in the lab for more than 1-2 years.

I repeated that several times. If anyone in the lab asked, "So, have you applied? When are you applying?" in a social, get-to-know-you way, I'd say, "No I haven't, but I will apply this summer or next."

Basically I lied. This is in bad form but I really didn't know what else to say! I couldn't just tell them right when I started that I was already accepted.

Anyway, now I'm about 4 weeks till my last ideal day of work, June 1. How should I break the news? Thanks so much for your advice!

Yikes, lying is never good. You can say something that is truthful while holding back the rest of the story. "Say something like, "I've learned so much here but I need to take some time off before I pursue the next step in my education." No one needs to know that the time off is 2 days or 2 weeks or something like that. Give enough notice that you don't leave anyone's project hanging.

Why did you lie when it seems you were already accepted? But anyway, just tell them. What else can you do?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Why did you lie when it seems you were already accepted? But anyway, just tell them. What else can you do?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I needed the money and was already several months out of school without work, and I didn't want them to fire me right after hiring me. Looking back, I probably should've just told them my first week.

Thanks @LizzyM!

Lying was a mistake but what's done is done. The best thing you can do now (IMO) is to own it and tell your boss asap. This allows your boss enough time to hire your replacement and train him/her. If you were my tech I'd be pissed for a bit that you lied but I'd get over it pretty quickly if you gave me 4 weeks notice. If you wait until it's your last week and then casually say "oh yeah this is my last week" then that would be much worse.

Reactions: 2 users