Should I let this have an impact on my decision to apply this cycle (URM)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

priortailor

Reaction score
I recently learned of the SCOTUS agreeing to hear two cases that could end affirmative action. From reading up on it, a decision will likely be made by June 2023. I am a URM taking a gap year and I wasn't planning on applying this cycle, but hearing of this news has me worried about what will happen if this passes and if it will affect med school admissions in the next cycle. I have a 3.7 GPA, strong EC's/research, and a community-based/ service-oriented narrative, but I haven't taken the MCAT yet (planning to take it in June). I wanted to take another gap year as I have been really enjoying my current research job, but now I am wondering if I should just bite the bullet and apply this cycle. Overall, hearing about this news has gotten me quite anxious, but I don't know if I am overreacting and if I should even consider this as a factor in my decision to apply this cycle.

Link to relevant articles: Supreme Court Will Hear Challenge to Affirmative Action at Harvard and U.N.C.
The Supreme Court Gets Ready To End Affirmative Action

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It’s not a factor.

no i would not let click bait from forbes determine the course of my life

de jure is not de facto anyway, regardless of what's happening in the lAw little is going to change on the ground, ever

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I recently learned of the SCOTUS agreeing to hear two cases that could end affirmative action. From reading up on it, a decision will likely be made by June 2023. I am a URM taking a gap year and I wasn't planning on applying this cycle, but hearing of this news has me worried about what will happen if this passes and if it will affect med school admissions in the next cycle. I have a 3.7 GPA, strong EC's/research, and a community-based/ service-oriented narrative, but I haven't taken the MCAT yet (planning to take it in June). I wanted to take another gap year as I have been really enjoying my current research job, but now I am wondering if I should just bite the bullet and apply this cycle. Overall, hearing about this news has gotten me quite anxious, but I don't know if I am overreacting and if I should even consider this as a factor in my decision to apply this cycle.

Link to relevant articles: Supreme Court Will Hear Challenge to Affirmative Action at Harvard and U.N.C.
It won't apply to med schools.

It won't apply to med schools.
yea some people say this but idk the legal grounds for that

I'm interested to see how it all turns out

Reactions: 1 user
yea some people say this but idk the legal grounds for that

I'm interested to see how it all turns out
I think it was a case involving a law school in TX that the Supreme Court said that graduate schools are different than undergraduate schools in how they can handle enrollment qualifications.

Wise @operaman , you're a legal eagle...any thoughts?

A) I agree it’s clickbait, I do not think AA is gonna get struck down. B) even if it did in 6/23 I doubt any changes in admissions policies would change ivernight

Reactions: 1 users

Even if AA ended for med school, why would it affect you applying? You should be lining yourself up for an acceptance( High MCAT score, grades, LOR, research, etc.). Regardless if you are URM or not, don't rely on anything other than your performance. Thinking that, because you are URM gives you a "leg up," is not a sound practice.

Worrying about something you have no control over is a waste of time/energy. Give it your best and keep to your plan.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
A) I agree it’s clickbait, I do not think AA is gonna get struck down. B) even if it did in 6/23 I doubt any changes in admissions policies would change ivernight
Really?? The vast majority of legal scholars seem to believe it will. 4/9 justices have already delcared an opposition to AA in the past, and the raining two are staunchly conservative justices.

If you remember the last AA decision was split by political lines. I find it much more likely AA will finally be struck down, especially as in the last decision the swing vote said it shouldn't be needed in 25 years and we're almost at that mark now.

Also idk why policies wouldnt change overnight (at least in undergrad idk if there's different standards for grad schools but I find it unlikely). If it's struck down it will likely be effective immediately.

AA =/= hahvahd and stupid text chains that these people definitely should have know better about. im a little surprised they are even hearing this case again. it has no merit. AA is another ball of wax, i dont see how AA in admissions is AA anywhere else.

Last edited by a moderator:
AA =/= hahvahd and stupid text chains that these people definitely should have know better about. im a little surprised they are even hearing this case again. it has no merit. AA is another ball of wax, i dont see how AA in admissions is AA anywhere else.
The point of affirmative action is to make the so-called "playing field" more equitable. This means that minorities who would otherwise be discriminated against get a leg up in terms of admissions in some cases. Thus, if more people have an opportunity to go to undergrad/grad school/etc., these people will then have a leg up when it comes to hiring. It's called the trickle-down effect.

You're right; affirmative action for admissions is not a practice that typically extends to other things (except like quotas for diversity at companies, which is not exactly the same thing because it's not mandated by the govt.). But this doesn't make affirmative action any less credible or worthy of merit.

I honestly was considering the opposite situation of OP, considered waiting an extra year so I would be a little more likely to get into med schools (AA hurts me as I'm an Asian) but figured the risk wasn't worth the reward.

Status
Not open for further replies.