Should I mention application to MD programs to DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrich15

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do DO programs frown on applying to allopathic schools. I've applied to my in-state MD schools. I really want DO, but I want to be a doctor even more. I have an interview soon at UHS and do not want to hurt my chances of acceptance. How should I handle it?

Members don't see this ad.

First, they probably wont ask. But if they do tell them. I dont think it will hurt your chances. They know many people chose this route for reasons you have already stated...Good luck at UHS, I enjoyed my interview there. I was accepted and will most likely matriculate at UHS...

If you are asked, tell them the truth. Do not lie...cause the schools exchange info and if you're caught, that will be your death sentence at all of the schools. In reality, it will make little to zero difference at the preponderance of the schools. They assume you're exploring multiple avenues to get in...you're appluing to medical school, not dealing with a jealous gf/bf.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you explain to them that their school (the D.O. school) is not a backup, but rather you applied there because you like the school itself, the location, the people, whatever.

I have a friend who applied to 20 schools (15 M.D. and 5 D.O.).

He has interviewed at a few of them, been accepted at 2 D.O. schools and soon to be hearing from 2 of the M.D. schools.

But again, like others have said...be honest.

Agreed, I applied to both this year, and was accepted at one MD and one DO. In fact, I only had one interview where that was asked...just be honest with them.

Thanks for the advice.

i don't want to scare you- and i'm not putting down the institution of uhs but my interview there stunk!! all the two guys asked me was about where else i interviewed/applied and why i was still interviewing if already accepted. On uhs's application they ask where you have applied so leaving out schools is probably a bad idea if you already told them that you have applied. Be direct and honest. I told them i wouldn't go to a MD school just because it was a MD school, just as i wouldn't go DO simply bc it is DO--but that i will attend the best school i get into-- and UHS is quite impressive. I also said that the acrynms that follow my name are secondary- They seemed impressed by that, but i was super turned off by the individual interviewers.

I applied MD and DO, chose MD but the DO schools did ask and I did tell them I had MD apps in. I told the truth, I had already been through one round of rejections (MD and DO)and medical school was more important than not being there at all. MD was in state for me and that played a big factor when I got in. Good Luck!