Should I Mention That I'm Pre-Vet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pomeranian

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am in the midst of finishing my last vet school prereq and I'm applying to vet school next year (2015). I am currently looking for a ft vet assistant or kennel tech job at a clinic to gain vet hours and work experience. I'd be looking to stay at the job for 2 years during my gap years until vet school. I was wondering if I should mention that I'm pre-vet in my cover letter, resume, interview, etc. since it could potentially make me look like a short-term hire. At the same time, I can also see how mentioning that I'm prevet could make me seem more serious/passionate about the job. Any thoughts/comments would be great! Thanks!
 
I would say to mention it, and tell them when you are planning on applying and when you are hoping to be starting school. Two years will be a long enough length of time for you to be there I would think. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think you should tell them. It just seems like it's relevant to the job. I think it might be a bit weird if a year into the job you suddenly start talking about your vet school application and wanting a LOR and whatnot. If I were them and you suddenly mentioned a year later you wanted a reference, I'd wonder why you didn't tell me your plans when we hired you, and it might slightly annoy me.

Your chances to get more relevant experience go up if they know your plans, too.
 
If I were them and you suddenly mentioned a year later you wanted a reference, I'd wonder why you didn't tell me your plans when we hired you, and it might slightly annoy me.

That is just the grumpy old man in you.... 😛









I agree with everyone else, even LIS, I would tell them. It would seem odd if you just suddenly go "oh yeah, I am applying to vet school can you give me a reference?" And like LIS said, if they know, you might get some different opportunities that you might not have been given if you had not said anything.
 
Sadly, I was turned down recently for a job at a clinic because I told them I was applying to vet school this year. But my gap year is only 1 year, not two. So I think in your case it should be better. I thought in my case it would be fine too, 1 year is still a good amount of time IMO. So I should have left it out. But in my defense, during an interview it is a hard thing to try to tip toe around, since its such a big part of your life... so yeah I would tell them. Hopefully you get the job!
 
There's really no need to tell them exactly when you're applying if you think it will keep you from getting the job. Just say you're thinking of applying to vet school in the future and you want to get the experience, etc. Not to mention that just because you are applying in a year doesn't mean you'll get in on that cycle, so it's really not set in stone that you would be leaving in two years anyway.
 
Sadly, I was turned down recently for a job at a clinic because I told them I was applying to vet school this year. But my gap year is only 1 year, not two. So I think in your case it should be better. I thought in my case it would be fine too, 1 year is still a good amount of time IMO. So I should have left it out. But in my defense, during an interview it is a hard thing to try to tip toe around, since its such a big part of your life... so yeah I would tell them. Hopefully you get the job!

I still think you're better off in the long run. If you're in a geographical area you want to come back to ... think how it may have looked if you took the job, left sooner than they were hoping (leaving a bitter taste in their mouth). The vet community is small, and you would have someone out there who already has grumpy thoughts about you and might comment to another clinic owner "Yeah.... so-n-so took a job with me knowing she was leaving in a year and didn't bother to tell me." Maybe that never happens. But maybe it does.

I think in the short run it may have felt like it sucked not getting the job, but in the long run it's better to be honest and up-front.
 
I still think you're better off in the long run. If you're in a geographical area you want to come back to ... think how it may have looked if you took the job, left sooner than they were hoping (leaving a bitter taste in their mouth). The vet community is small, and you would have someone out there who already has grumpy thoughts about you and might comment to another clinic owner "Yeah.... so-n-so took a job with me knowing she was leaving in a year and didn't bother to tell me." Maybe that never happens. But maybe it does.

I think in the short run it may have felt like it sucked not getting the job, but in the long run it's better to be honest and up-front.
Thanks! That's very true. I wish I would have come up with that explanation when I was told by so many people, " awww big mistake telling them you were going to be leaving!" lol. But you are so right!