Should i mention this in my PS?

Started by rkmauria
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rkmauria

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I have misdemeanor Underage drinking and Misuse of ID charges(not conviction, im doing pretrial diversion) and I was wondering if I should try and explain myself in my personal statement or leave it for he designated sections on the application? Thanks again.
 
The PS should by wholly positive. If you feel you can effectively use it as a low point and then eloquently express your turnaround + turn towards medicine then possibly yes, but no apologetics should be done in the PS.
 
Hey guys,

I have misdemeanor Underage drinking and Misuse of ID charges(not conviction, im doing pretrial diversion) and I was wondering if I should try and explain myself in my personal statement or leave it for he designated sections on the application? Thanks again.
I would leave it for the designated section. Bringing it up in the PS is only going to draw attention to something that is glaringly obvious, and since the PS is supposed to be why you want to be a doctor, there is no point in wasting space explaining something you will be explaining elsewhere anyway.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with these people. Sometimes the PS will be your only shot at a school - it's the only chance for you to separate yourself from the rest [in a good way].

You will have plenty of opportunities in your secondaries to include that information, and sometimes the school won't even ask. Write out a thorough explanation in advance, and get ready to include it on your secondaries.
 
I agree with these people. Sometimes the PS will be your only shot at a school - it's the only chance for you to separate yourself from the rest [in a good way].

You will have plenty of opportunities in your secondaries to include that information, and sometimes the school won't even ask. Write out a thorough explanation in advance, and get ready to include it on your secondaries.

Totally agree with this.


Sent from my iPod using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse the typos.
 
Unless you were inspired to become a doctor while drunk....no. You don't want any red flags in your PS. Explain this--humbly and completely--in the designated section of your application. Good luck!