Should I mention this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superwillis

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question:

While applying to colleges from high school, I was accepted into a straight, 8yr medical school program at University of Louisville that guaranteed me entrance into med school. ....And I didn't take it. I went to UPenn instead.

Sometimes I regret it, but at the time I wasn't sure I wanted to be a doctor, and I also wanted to do bioengineering (which Louisville didnt offer). 3 academically-crappy years later, both my overall and sci GPA are 3.2, and expected to be 3.3 by application time. MCAT is 36.

My question is, when applying to Louisville med, should I mention that I was accepted into the straight med program from high school? Or should I leave it out? I'm not sure if it would help or hurt me...maybe they'll hold a grudge or something??

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, quick question:

While applying to colleges from high school, I was accepted into a straight, 8yr medical school program at University of Louisville that guaranteed me entrance into med school. ....And I didn't take it. I went to UPenn instead.

Sometimes I regret it, but at the time I wasn't sure I wanted to be a doctor, and I also wanted to do bioengineering (which Louisville didnt offer). 3 academically-crappy years later, both my overall and sci GPA are 3.2, and expected to be 3.3 by application time. MCAT is 36.

My question is, when applying to Louisville med, should I mention that I was accepted into the straight med program from high school? Or should I leave it out? I'm not sure if it would help or hurt me...maybe they'll hold a grudge or something?? Thoughts?

Hi Superwillis. We have a very similar app story, except my 8 year acceptance turned down for Penn was from Baylor. I mentioned it in my personal statement since it went along with some of my Penn freshman year discussion. So far, Baylor has completely ignored me with my 3.5 GPA and 35 MCAT (which may have more to do with that 3.5 than anything else especially since a mentor of mine mentioned they usually have a 3.6 cutoff). It was brought up at one of my interviews and I had to defend my decision and discuss whether or not I regretted it. I think if you choose to include it (since it does show you've been considered an able candidate in the past and that you've been interested in medicine for awhile) you should bring up a justification directly after mentioning it (like what you mentioned with studying BE, wanting to go to a different undergrad school, not being ready for an 8 year commitment at age 18 - with the caveat that you can show them you now are through new clinical exposure and such). Otherwise, it might be a turnoff. I'll be able to answer your question a bit better in a few months...