Should I Minor In English??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medinsane

Music in Asian Form
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm so frustrated. I dont know whether I should minor in English. I really want to because I enjoy it but it's so time consuming and I dont even know if it'll make a difference for med acceptance. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

When you say that you're not sure if it will, "make a difference," are you saying that it won't make a difference being admitted to med school? As far as this is concerned, I think you should concentrate on what makes you happy. Go ahead and minor in English..there's no harm! Besides, maybe you'll realize that English is more of a passion than science..you never know until you try. Don't worry about if doing this or that will get you into medical school. Right now, focus on what makes you happy. Just my 2 cents.

bebella

Medinsane said:
I'm so frustrated. I dont know whether I should minor in English. I really want to because I enjoy it but it's so time consuming and I dont even know if it'll make a difference for med acceptance. Please help!

I am majoring in English and I strongly encourage others to do so. The ideal thing would be to double major in a hard science and a humanistic discipline, but if you don't have time for that, then definitely add the minor. It has greatly increased my understanding of and appreciation for the world. The verbal section of the MCAT will be a cakewalk!!!!! after taking a few higher level English classes (take professional editing for this). You will also feel like a more well rounded and cultured individual having immersed yourself in the classics. Truly, the best education possible is one that combines the sciences with humanities.

Oh, and yes, an English minor would probably help you if you do well in the classes. The adcoms seem to like strong communication skills and a diversity of interests! Good luck...

Members don't see this ad :)
do what you enjoy. med schools don't care about your major, much less your minor.

I started out college as a Bio major/English minor. But I fell in love with English and a little disillusioned with my school's bio dept and declared my English major and a Psych minor while dropping my bio major. It totally helped out my GPA and my sanity to major in a subject I love instead of on a major that I thought I had to have to go to med school. An English minor is only 15 hrs (5 classes) so it's not too time-consuming. Plus it really gives you an advantage on the MCAT, where you're competing in verbal against people who haven't taken an English class above their freshman requirement.

YES - go for that minor in English. I was a Biology major w/an English minor. I absolutely LOVE English - reading and writing both. My English classes were my creative outlet. They kept me sane. If you love English, then you owe it to yourself to have some fun. Seriously, getting out of a Biochemistry lecture and walking over to my Hemingway/Fitzgerald class was truly joyous. And when it comes time to apply to schools and write essay after essay, you'll be great at it. You'll be used to writing papers in a snap, and it'll actually be fun for you.

BTW at a couple of my interviews, I was asked why I took certain classes (English classes) and what I learned from them. I remember specifically at Brown my interviewer saying something like, "I'm glad you took classes that interested you and that you can think outside of science." So, I guess it does help... but the bottom line is that YOU enjoy it, and that's all that matters. And if you enjoy it, then you will do well in it, which will be good for you GPA.

Sorry if I sounded too enthusiastic... but I had your exact dilemma a few years back, and I'm glad I opted to stick with it.

chaeymaey said:
I started out college as a Bio major/English minor. But I fell in love with English and a little disillusioned with my school's bio dept and declared my English major and a Psych minor while dropping my bio major. It totally helped out my GPA and my sanity to major in a subject I love instead of on a major that I thought I had to have to go to med school. An English minor is only 15 hrs (5 classes) so it's not too time-consuming. Plus it really gives you an advantage on the MCAT, where you're competing in verbal against people who haven't taken an English class above their freshman requirement.

That's totally cool!!! :) Looking back I almost wish I had dual majored in Bio and Eng.

But any way, we had to have eight classes, i.e. 24 credits for a minor. I guess it's diff for each school.

take classes you want to take. if that ends up being a minor, thats great, but if you like english, just take english classes! it doesn't need to be in the structure of a major/minor.

Embily123 said:
take classes you want to take. if that ends up being a minor, thats great, but if you like english, just take english classes! it doesn't need to be in the structure of a major/minor.

I like your advice :thumbup:

Minor = Jack ****

I wish there would come a day when people would stop busting their butts over a minor and realize it is good for nothing except learning about a subject that interests you. It won't get you a job, and as doc05 said, med schools could care less. Take your pre-reqs and do well in them, maybe pick a major in the sciences, besides that just take things you enjoy.

ddmoore54 said:
Minor = Jack ****

I wish there would come a day when people would stop busting their butts over a minor and realize it is good for nothing except learning about a subject that interests you. It won't get you a job, and as doc05 said, med schools could care less. Take your pre-reqs and do well in them, maybe pick a major in the sciences, besides that just take things you enjoy.

It's true that one doesn't have to have a minor to take outside classes, but I do think it helps. Often there are classes in the minor that one doesn't necessarily want to take (maybe he/she likes British Lit & not American) but is forced to, and it might just happen that he/she becomes an American Lit convert. How can a person truly know what he/she likes without trying it? The structure a major/minor provides helps certain people who may not have tried a new class.

I dont think minoring in English is useless too. If I had infinite time I would definitly minor (maybe even major if it weren't for the foreign language requirement). But the thing is I'm planning to graduate next year. I'm applying to med school right now. So time is a BIG issue. I'm at a point right now where I can decide to minor or not because I have my senior year left to take four more classes necessary for the minor (we have a quarter system). But next year I'm going to be taking alot of upper div bio classes because I took it easy this year to study for MCATs. So my senior yr is gonna be busy due to classes and hopping from state to state interviewing for med school (hopefully).

I think I'm just freaking about because of med apps, I can't think straight. I need some more inspiring stories like Ambs. Thanks!

But from what I've heard med schools like to see studies in the humanities because they want a well rounded person. Is this true?

ddmoore54 said:
Minor = Jack ****

Well said. And as far as discovering what your passion is, then why don't you go ahead and take a class from every department really understand what your passion is...the truth is that if you want to be a doctor, take science courses because that is what doctors deal with - SCIENCE. Now if you really love english read books and join a reading club or something. Why do you need to struggle in a class in order to find your passion when you can read on your own, all you need to do is go to the library. Take my case for instance, i really love french but god forbid i put myself to minoring in it. Instead i take pass/fail classes and just learn as much as i can. If i fail whatever it doesn't affect my gpa if i pass, great.

Members don't see this ad :)
IgweEmeka said:
Well said. And as far as discovering what your passion is, then why don't you go ahead and take a class from every department really understand what your passion is...the truth is that if you want to be a doctor, take science courses because that is what doctors deal with - SCIENCE. Now if you really love english read books and join a reading club or something. Why do you need to struggle in a class in order to find your passion when you can read on your own, all you need to do is go to the library. Take my case for instance, i really love french but god forbid i put myself to minoring in it. Instead i take pass/fail classes and just learn as much as i can. If i fail whatever it doesn't affect my gpa if i pass, great.

You do have some good points Emeka but there is more to life than studying only what one uses in his/her career. Your argument would be like suggesting a politician study only politics and not economics, sociology, psychology, languages, and history. People really SHOULD take classes from every department (arts, languages,anthropology,geography,chemistry,psychology, ecology, etc..), but the University is setup now as a money-making diploma factory where people like yourself go to simply "get a degree". You may become the best doctor/scientist in the world with this approach but you won't be a good person.

There are no doctors who deal with science alone. Even pathologists have to interact with others and make judgments collectively. Sure, Hawthorne may not help in a diagnosis, but knowledge of his works makes for interesting conversation over dinner. Taking a pass/fail is good for those who are super motivated to begin with, and if your intention is to learn a language and you'll be in the class anyway, take it for credit and earn an A. There is no sense in doing work in something you enjoy and not having it count (boost your gpa). Plus, it provides *evidence* of your passion. Simply saying that you like French is not enough unless you teach yourself to be fluent. A class or a minor to substantiate that claim can be beneficial.

It is very limiting to narrow a course of study to an interest which one may or may not enjoy later. That's why people are required to rotate in different areas of medicine. It gives them knowledge of the WHOLE body, as well as a better idea of what fascinates them most. Life, and especially education, should be treated as one extended rotation.

minor's are pretty worthless. just take some classes you dig.

that is great that you enjoy english; you are likely to learn more about truth (or lack thereof) and be more creative than others; do you need to minor just to have a minor? i dont think it is necessary; it becomes more of a burden. I just took a bunch of creative thinking/writing courses on the side; why burden yourself with having to take class x,y,z if you only like class x and z. good luck

Embily123 said:
this is what I recommend. That way, if you end up being one class short of a minor, or you'd rather take a more interesting English class than the required one, you don't have to cancel the minor and all that jazz. I'm kind of regretting declaring a chem minor.

Thanks for all the comments. I do want to take classes in english. But I guess my logic is that since I'm already taking classes why not just minor? It is a little more burdensome but at least in the end you have some recognition (though minor) for you accomplishments.

On the side note, just out of curiosity, what kind of diploma does a minor receive? Is it a small certificate?

I double majored bio and english and the english was such a great break from sciences and you get to read amazing books and appreciate a whole different type of knowledge. DO IT!!

Medinsane said:
Thanks for all the comments. I do want to take classes in english. But I guess my logic is that since I'm already taking classes why not just minor? It is a little more burdensome but at least in the end you have some recognition (though minor) for you accomplishments.

On the side note, just out of curiosity, what kind of diploma does a minor receive? Is it a small certificate?

I don't think the recognition will make that much of a difference. I don't really see an adcom going "hmm, should we interview this person or not? I'm not sure... OH, English minor! Definitely interview-worthy."

I definitely do understand wanting to get the recognition for your hard work (that's one of the reasons I busted my butt to finish my German major when I was going to be just one class short) so I say go for it if you want to. But it's mostly going to be a personal accomplishment, so if it gets to where you're super stressed or doing less well in other classes, scrap it.

IgweEmeka said:
...the truth is that if you want to be a doctor, take science courses because that is what doctors deal with - SCIENCE.
Well, if med schools actually believed this, you would exclusively see science majors getting accepted. But in fact adcoms today seek a more diverse class which runs the gamut of majors, because doctors spend at least as much time (probably more) dealing with non-science stuff, in which interpersonal and communication skills are key.
But to the OP, there is really no value with a minor in terms of admissions, nor is any particular major more helpful than another. Take whatever classes you enjoy (be it english or science). As long as you have the prereqs you are golden.

We have "major" and "minor" courses of study. It would seem logical to have "augmented" and "diminished" as well. Why don't we?

Law2Doc said:
But to the OP, there is really no value with a minor in terms of admissions, nor is any particular major more helpful than another. Take whatever classes you enjoy (be it english or science). As long as you have the prereqs you are golden.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with this assessment. I think that a minor might be worth the trouble (especially if you are set on taking English courses anyway) in that it will draw the adcom's attention to these classes. If it weren't for the minor they would likely just be lumped in with the myriad of other non-science courses you have to take in undergrad. With the minor, I think they realize early in the app process that this is a genuine interest, not simply more classes to get rid of more lib ed requirements.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure at least one school (MCW) considers strong English skills, as demonstrated in classwork and verbal score on the MCAT, to be a strong asset to their applicants.

Medinsane said:

Minors are useless and medical schools don't care.

lorelei said:
I definitely do understand wanting to get the recognition for your hard work (that's one of the reasons I busted my butt to finish my German major when I was going to be just one class short) so I say go for it if you want to. But it's mostly going to be a personal accomplishment, so if it gets to where you're super stressed or doing less well in other classes, scrap it.

Exactly, if it becomes too stressfull then I probably wont do it. So far it looks like my work load for senior year doesn't look too bad.

Also from the Doctorfunk's comment, I also agree that if you declare that you minored in something then adcom's will more likely pay some more atttention. I'm not suggesting that it will impress them, I'm just saying that they take notice and isn't that important?-Recognition? I think so.

Medinsane said:
Also from the Doctorfunk's comment, I also agree that if you declare that you minored in something then adcom's will more likely pay some more atttention. I'm not suggesting that it will impress them, I'm just saying that they take notice and isn't that important?-Recognition? I think so.

With, in some cases, 10,000 applications to go through, do you really think med schools are actually going to spend much time taking notice of things like minors? Perhaps if it's something really unusual you could get asked about it in an interview, but I doubt it. Take the prereqs and otherwise the classes you are interested in; if that adds up to a minor, super, but if not don't sweat it.

Law2Doc said:
With, in some cases, 10,000 applications to go through, do you really think med schools are actually going to spend much time taking notice of things like minors? Perhaps if it's something really unusual you could get asked about it in an interview, but I doubt it. Take the prereqs and otherwise the classes you are interested in; if that adds up to a minor, super, but if not don't sweat it.

I guess it could make a difference in secondaries for adcoms. But in primaries it wont make a difference.