Should I move up my DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

denner

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm scheduled to take this thing next Wednesday but there is an opening this Thursday afternoon.

I feel pretty confident, but I just want to get this thing over with, and I kind of want to make sure it gets to all my schools sometime in August.

By Thursday, I will have read through kaplan twice, cliffs twice (and 7 cliffs bio practice tests), and done about half of Destroyer. Also I will have done about 10 CDM, 10 CDP, and 3-4 math destroyer tests by Thursday and feel at least adequate.

Practice scores
-18-21 on my sciences for topscore and kaplan tests.
---the worst part is I feel like I should be getting higher because I look back and see at least 2-3 dumb mistakes/misreads that I make in each section
-Scoring 18-21 CDM/Math Destroyer tests
-Scoring 20-23 for CDP tests
-Scored 23 on the one RC test I took in topscore. (I'm not too worried about it because it seems to be a lot easier than the MCAT verbal and I did fine on that)

As long as I can get around a 19AA/TS and not bomb my QR too badly (anything over a 15 and I'll be content) I think I should be in the clear to get in at one of the schools I want to get into.
(I have good ECs/decent LORs and some shadowing and 3.93GPA/3.89sGPA.)

Based off of your guys scores when you took Topscore and Kaplan and what you got on the real deal...
What do you guys think?
Is this a bad idea to cram this all in at the last minute or do you think I should be ok? (I normally do though so I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing)
Will me taking it on July 30 make much of a difference as compared to August 5?

Kind of dumb questions, I know, but any insight would be appreciated.
I've got about 3 hours to decide :help:

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm scheduled to take this thing next Wednesday but there is an opening this Thursday afternoon.

I feel pretty confident, but I just want to get this thing over with, and I kind of want to make sure it gets to all my schools sometime in August.

By Thursday, I will have read through kaplan twice, cliffs twice (and 7 cliffs bio practice tests), and done about half of Destroyer. Also I will have done about 10 CDM, 10 CDP, and 3-4 math destroyer tests by Thursday and feel at least adequate.

Practice scores
-18-21 on my sciences for topscore and kaplan tests.
---the worst part is I feel like I should be getting higher because I look back and see at least 2-3 dumb mistakes/misreads that I make in each section
-Scoring 18-21 CDM/Math Destroyer tests
-Scoring 20-23 for CDP tests
-Scored 23 on the one RC test I took in topscore. (I'm not too worried about it because it seems to be a lot easier than the MCAT verbal and I did fine on that)

As long as I can get around a 19AA/TS and not bomb my QR too badly (anything over a 15 and I'll be content) I think I should be in the clear to get in at one of the schools I want to get into.
(I have good ECs/decent LORs and some shadowing and 3.93GPA/3.89sGPA.)

Based off of your guys scores when you took Topscore and Kaplan and what you got on the real deal...
What do you guys think?
Is this a bad idea to cram this all in at the last minute or do you think I should be ok? (I normally do though so I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing)
Will me taking it on July 30 make much of a difference as compared to August 5?

Kind of dumb questions, I know, but any insight would be appreciated.
I've got about 3 hours to decide :help:

Thanks
I know the feeling of wanting to get this thing over with.
It seems like you're ready to take the exam.
Personally, I don't think 1 week of extra studying would make that much of difference in your final results.
So, IMO, go ahead and take it this upcoming Thursday. Meanwhile, use your remaining days to review some of the topics (if need be) and relax.

Good Luck:thumbup:

Yeah, if your ready and confident move the test up. It sounds like you hit a wall anyways and like nze82 said, one more week won't do you a lot of good, so good luck.

I wanted to move my test up as well since I finished a week early with my studies and practice but instead I decided to just take the remaining week light and just relax.

Thanks for the responses

Yesterday I planned on studying/going over topscore all day and if I felt confident and the responses were encouraging I would sign up for the new time.

I checked to see if the time was still available at the end of the day and it was, and then went to get my credit card.

It made me sign in again and the opening was now gone :laugh:. I guess that 15 minutes made the difference.

Oh well, it'll just give me a little more time to study. I decided to made an excel spreadsheet (yes, I'm a nerd) with everything I have to study/practice tests to take before I can be done for the day.

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise because now I've planned out my last week leading up to the test.

- Basically I plan to read about 3-4 chapters of cliffs bio, kaplan GC/OC every day, take a CDP, CDM, Math Destroyer, Cliffs AP bio test, and some bio/chem/ochem destroyer questions every day leading up till Sunday.

- Sunday - watch chad's chem videos, memorize math formulas, go over old topscores, another CDP/CDM/Math Destroyer

- Monday - take Topscore 3, another CDP/CDM/Math Destroyer, skim through books
- Tuesday - Freak Out, and study whatever comes to mind, CDP/CDM, formulas, important acronyms
- Wednesday - do the damn thing (and of course post a full breakdown)

If anybody has any other recommendations of things to look over or do feel free to add on.