Should I not take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

popppp

Reaction score
To keep this brief, I took 5 years off school due to personal issues. I failed an entire semester as I simply left campus 2 weeks after it started. I went back to university 5 semesters ago and have averaged around a 3.88.

I've done the math, and with my subpar first semester and all Fs second semester, I'd only be able to graduate with around a 3.45ish (without grade replacement). My pre-health advisor told me that it is not even worth taking the MCAT as I almost certainly would never be accepted anywhere and should aim solely for an SMP (which will prepare me for the MCAT as well). Does this sound right? Is taking the MCAT and applying without an SMP most likely a waste of my time?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think that it depends on how the rest of your application looks - how are your ECs looking? I applied with a similar academic past to you and an overall GPA around yours, with a strong upward trend. I did well on the MCAT and had other aspects of my application that made it get attention, which led to acceptances.

I think that it depends on how the rest of your application looks - how are your ECs looking? I applied with a similar academic past to you and an overall GPA around yours, with a strong upward trend. I did well on the MCAT and had other aspects of my application that made it get attention, which led to acceptances.
ECs suck right now, but this upcoming semester I will be doing around 10 hours of research per week with a lot of volunteering with hospice.

Jw, did you get accepted MD or only DO?

Members don't see this ad :)
ECs suck right now, but this upcoming semester I will be doing around 10 hours of research per week with a lot of volunteering with hospice.

Jw, did you get accepted MD or only DO?

I applied MD only.

As long as your MCAT is 500 or higher you will be competitive for some DO schools. Do not take the MCAT until your practice scores are consistently 505 or higher. You also need 50 hours of in person physician shadowing (including DO and primary care). You also should accumualate 200+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact.

As long as your MCAT is 500 or higher you will be competitive for some DO schools. Do not take the MCAT until your practice scores are consistently 505 or higher. You also need 50 hours of in person physician shadowing (including DO and primary care). You also should accumualate 200+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact.
Appreciate it. Is MD out of the question in your opinion? (obviously assuming I do very well on the MCAT)

To keep this brief, I took 5 years off school due to personal issues. I failed an entire semester as I simply left campus 2 weeks after it started. I went back to university 5 semesters ago and have averaged around a 3.88.

I've done the math, and with my subpar first semester and all Fs second semester, I'd only be able to graduate with around a 3.45ish (without grade replacement). My pre-health advisor told me that it is not even worth taking the MCAT as I almost certainly would never be accepted anywhere and should aim solely for an SMP (which will prepare me for the MCAT as well). Does this sound right? Is taking the MCAT and applying without an SMP most likely a waste of my time?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Your advisor is an idiot. Many MD and all DO schools value reinvention.

So yes, take the MCAT

Also, see if you can get retroactive Ws for the courses you failed. This is a thing at some schools. The worst they're do is say "no".

Reactions: 1 user
With a 508+ MD is possible. Also depends on your state of residence ?
Yeah I understand it's kinda dumb to ask about my chances without even taking the MCAT so I'll do my best to do very well on it.

and PA.

Your advisor is an idiot. Many MD and all DO schools value reinvention.

So yes, take the MCAT

Also, see if you can get retroactive Ws for the courses you failed. This is a thing at some schools. The worst they're do is say "no".
Appreciate it.

And I've tried multiple times. Didn't work unfortunately. They supposedly only do that if the classes you failed were within the last year now. Weird