Should I obtain full state license while still on fellowship training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rhomboid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I just passed my ABIM exam. I'm currently doing fellowship training and will graduate in 3 years. I'm currently holding a state temporary license for trainee. I'm debating whether I should get my full license now, or should I wait toward the end of my fellowship training? Pros and cons I'm thinking about are:
- If I get my license now, no one will reimburse the licensing fee. If I'm applying later, maybe my future employee will reimburse the fee?
- If I want to moonlight, I will need to have full license
- In terms of practice within the scope of my fellowship duties, it does not matter whether I hold full license or not

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you want to moonlight? Can you moonlight? It’s a few hundred dollars, maybe up to $1200. But it also open you up for other opportunities.

Really up to you. Do you need/want the extra income. Fellowship isn’t easy. Especially, whatever you’re doing. GI, cards, pulm/Crit. (Are there other three years ones?)

I would encourage you to apply for full license before you graduate (if you can even wait that long… some states require you to have a real license even if you’re a trainee). The process is a little cleaner, before you start applying multiple licenses.

Congrats.

These insights are helpful. Thank you all!