Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Should I "only" apply to private out of state schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by cy19861126, Jul 25, 2006.

1. cy19861126

cy19861126 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hi, I have been looking into different public out of state pharmacy schools. But one of my friends said I should only apply to private out of state schools because they are extremely harder to get into. And eventually, you will be rejected and wasting your money. Is this true? Do public schools have discrimination on out of state students? Should I listen to my friend

2. dirtyart

dirtyart Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Not all public schools are like that. The AACP web-site has a great list of the number of accepted in-state and out-of-state students for each school. It might me a few years old though.

3. UVaWahoo

UVaWahoo Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    public schools will get preference to in-state students, just some give a lot stronger preference than others........I recently got stats on VCU from the incoming class of 2010, and it was 88% VA residents.
    But i wouldn't say dont apply to public schools because they're harder to get into, its not impossible.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. janeno

janeno Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It mostly depends on your stats and extracurriculars... If you are a competitive applicant, I am pretty sure you will be able to get into an out-of-state public school... There are several people on this forum who got into out-of-state public schools...

5. senzabee

senzabee Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Even though a school may seem to have 80% or higher of their residents, it's not necessarily because they give preference to them. Some schools flat out tell you they prefer them (like Texas), while others say they don't.

Those that have no preference may have a high percentage of their residents because a high percentage of their applicants are from their state. So when you see that a school had maybe only 15 out-of-staters out of let's say 150 total students, it may be because only 10% of the applicants were out-of-state, the rest were in-state, and their admissions took sort of the same ratio of students. Does that make sense?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...