Should I "only" apply to private out of state schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cy19861126

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have been looking into different public out of state pharmacy schools. But one of my friends said I should only apply to private out of state schools because they are extremely harder to get into. And eventually, you will be rejected and wasting your money. Is this true? Do public schools have discrimination on out of state students? Should I listen to my friend

Members don't see this ad.

Not all public schools are like that. The AACP web-site has a great list of the number of accepted in-state and out-of-state students for each school. It might me a few years old though.

public schools will get preference to in-state students, just some give a lot stronger preference than others........I recently got stats on VCU from the incoming class of 2010, and it was 88% VA residents.
But i wouldn't say dont apply to public schools because they're harder to get into, its not impossible.

Members don't see this ad :)
It mostly depends on your stats and extracurriculars... If you are a competitive applicant, I am pretty sure you will be able to get into an out-of-state public school... There are several people on this forum who got into out-of-state public schools...

Even though a school may seem to have 80% or higher of their residents, it's not necessarily because they give preference to them. Some schools flat out tell you they prefer them (like Texas), while others say they don't.

Those that have no preference may have a high percentage of their residents because a high percentage of their applicants are from their state. So when you see that a school had maybe only 15 out-of-staters out of let's say 150 total students, it may be because only 10% of the applicants were out-of-state, the rest were in-state, and their admissions took sort of the same ratio of students. Does that make sense?