Should I, or shouldn't I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LanceP97

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just wondering what your input would be for me in my situation. During the winter break I decided that I was going to take the MCAT in April and that i'd study all this semester to be prepared. Well....things didn't go as planned.... my spring semester turned out to be really hectic and my classes required a lot more of my time than I had expected. I've only taken one full length practice test and made a 22 on it (yikes...i know). Since then all i've had time to do is look over some EK stuff late at night and skimming through the sections. My idea is just to go in and take the test on Saturday to see how I do, and then take the summer off and devote the time to studying hardcore for the August test. Is this plan ok?

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you're pretty sure that you'll be taking the test in August, regardless of whether or not you take it on Saturday. Do you feel prepared going into this exam at all? Are you willing to have that score on your record if you don't do well? Those are a couple of things you have to consider. I'm not as fully prepared as I had wanted to be, but will still be taking the test this Saturday, and am willing to study over the summer if I have to take it again.

Having the schools see my score if it is terribly low did cross my mind. I was wondering if they only looked at your most recent or highest score. Any insight?

you know, 22 is on the high end of diagnostic scores. A good number of people get low teens-mid twenties. So there might be a chance that with your laidback attitude on saturday, and the little prep you did over the semester, you might get a nice score...still mediocre, and not your best...but i think you should be very optimistic!

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of people say you shouldn't take the MCAT if you aren't ready because med schools frown upon poor performances and they take all tests into account, not just the most recent one. But if you get say a 25-28 on this one and then improve to a 32-34 on the next one and can explain what happened, I don't think they will hold it against you. Of course, that is just my opinion and those scores aren't as easy as they sound. If you think there is a chance you will do well take it, but if you know there is no way you might as well just wait.

If I were in your situation there's no way in hell I would consider taking it having only done a single diagnostic test and no other full length tests. Unless you have a 4.0 and/or are a URM in Tx, I would start planning on how you'll study for August rather than thinking about taking an mcat saturday. Why do something halfway?

Hey Lance,

It sounds like you want the experience of taking it, but with such little practice, I'd recommend against it. It's not to your benefit to have a low score on record. If you really want to have the "MCAT experience", go and take the test, and before the test is over, you can cancel your scores. It's a fairly expensive practice run, but if you don't mind the $ and think it'll help, then do it. But if you know you're going to get a low score and re-take in August, make sure you don't let it get scored!! That's my 2 cents! Hope it helps!

-K

Wow, good question. It sucks that you've already paid for it and all, but having only done one practice test, I'd be a little worried. How much would you actually say you studied over the past 1-2 months?

And BTW, how come such a late decision?

It is better to take in August for you do not know (each school is different) if they will average both scores, take the highest score per section, or whatever. You are *only* supposed to take the MCAT when you KNOW that you studied and are pretty confident that you can score in the high 20's, you do NOT take the MCAT when you KNOW that you are not ready. Remember, many folks score much lower on the MCAT that in their practice tests for X or Y reason, do you want to take the chance?

Thanks for all your help on both sides of the issue. I am a TX applicant with a 4.0 at the moment and will be graduating in December. Since the practice test, which was at the the beginning of the year, I've taken the rest of my physics and organic chem., so I'm more prepared in those areas. On the practice test is did alright on verbal (10) and not so well on the other two sections. I'm hoping that by having had the rest of those two classes above that I can bring my score up some. I think i'm going to chance it, even though I know I shouldn't, but I can't see me wasting that much money. Thanks again for all your input.

I think that's a good idea. Especially if you are just finishing up the reqs now, you probably don't need to review them since they are fresh. Do your best and if you know you bombed, just cancel it. Although be warned because a lot of people think they do badly and then end up doing fine and vice versa.