Should I or shouldn't I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snaggletoof

Have Faith
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been blessed with 2 acceptances but I am holding out for my state school. I didn't receive an interview yet (did last year and got rejected before the new cycle began this year). I was wondering if any of you think it would be a good idea to call them, let them know about my acceptances and ask what my chances are with them, if any. Thanks upfront... :)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see why you wouldn't try it. It pays to be upfront with schools and tell them where you stand. If anything i think your instate school would be happy to hear that you have other choices and that you still want to go there most.

I have been blessed with 2 acceptances but I am holding out for my state school. I didn't receive an interview yet (did last year and got rejected before the new cycle began this year). I was wondering if any of you think it would be a good idea to call them, let them know about my acceptances and ask what my chances are with them, if any. Thanks upfront... :)

Don't recommend doing that. Just politely ask about your status and chance. Don't mention your acceptances from other schools UNLESS they ask for it.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
lol... they will think you are arrogant.

They will think you are full of yourself. Would not recommend doing that.

Don't recommend doing that. Just politely ask about your status and chance. Don't mention your acceptances from other schools UNLESS they ask for it.

Good luck!

why not? It let's the school know that you need your answer soon (unless you want to place multiple deposits), AND it shows the school how serious you are about their program, having other options and still wanting them as your first choice (not simply a desperate plea).

I think telling them about your other options gives you more leverage. But go with your instincts OP.

why not? It let's the school know that you need your answer soon (unless you want to place multiple deposits), AND it shows the school how serious you are about their program, having other options and still wanting them as your first choice (not simply a desperate plea).

I think telling them about your other options gives you more leverage. But go with your instincts OP.

If the enormous costs of applying to, interviewing at, and attending dental school teach you one thing, it should be that we have absolutely no leverage.

Politely call, check your status, indicate interest, but don't be arrogant enough to throw around your acceptances. Pay a deposit to lock-in your favorite so far, and patiently wait for your state school.

You are correct. After all she has 2 acceptances. She is very imp. over others... who applied the schools.

When she calls the schools to let them know how "Serious" she is. They will immediately have a committee meeting just for her to determine her status.

GET SERIOUS... THEY DONT GIVE A Sh83. There are 3k people who want to go there. If they lose one it doesnt really matter does it.

Good luck!

Yeah i am with Red on this... they don't care about your acceptances... you don't bargain with the schools... that's unprofessional.

i just got a pm from someone saying they did the exact same thing recently and the person answering the phone checked his/her status which was still under review. She said she would bring the matter to the attention of the adcom. Shortly after, this person was given an opportunity to interview... Arrogant, thats ridiculous, none of us have the right to be arrogant. I could not be more humbled.

i just got a pm from someone saying they did the exact same thing recently and the person answering the phone checked his/her status which was still under review. She said she would bring the matter to the attention of the adcom. Shortly after, this person was given an opportunity to interview... Arrogant, thats ridiculous, none of us have the right to be arrogant. I could not be more humbled.

Hmm is that true?? I'm really tired of hearing my app's under review forever... they've been like that since late august!!!!!:mad:

High pressure tactics are usually counterproductive.

High pressure tactics are usually counterproductive.

Definitely agree. By calling attention to your other acceptances, it already implies you think you are "better" then the other applicants and many schools have plenty of similar applicants with similar stats.

Remember, the admissions departments have a tough enough time issuing interviews, give them any reason to reject you and it becomes that much easier.

I was in a similar situation last cycle - I had been lucky enough to have been accepted to four very prestigious schools but after interviewing at my state school I had not received an acceptance. I decided to write a very humble, heartfelt letter stating that although I had been accepted to all those other schools it was my state school that was the place I really wanted to be. Maybe it was just a coincidence, but I received my acceptance very shortly thereafter. Good luck! I think if you speak from your heart you will not be looked at as arrogant.

Members don't see this ad :)

I would call just to see what your honest chances are... you don't need to tell them about your acceptances.

instead of saying you have acceptances, you can just say you'd REALLY appreciate any real feedback they give so you can plan accordingly

I was in a similar situation last cycle - I had been lucky enough to have been accepted to four very prestigious schools but after interviewing at my state school I had not received an acceptance. I decided to write a very humble, heartfelt letter stating that although I had been accepted to all those other schools it was my state school that was the place I really wanted to be. Maybe it was just a coincidence, but I received my acceptance very shortly thereafter. Good luck! I think if you speak from your heart you will not be looked at as arrogant.

thank you wannaknow, i have no idea where the arrogant and unprofessional remarks came from. i am a very blessed and humbled individual. with deadlines for expensive deposits just around the corner, i am just wondering if i should put the possibility of getting into my state school, my number one choice, behind me. :) i agree that the email path would be more effective than calling the school. again thanks

One more thing - I didn't go the email route - I sent an overnight letter. I think it might carry a little more weight and/or get the attention you are looking for. Again - good luck to you!

Make a deposite to one of the schools and wait for your top choice school to get back to you. I don't think it is a great idea to call and ask them what your chances are. They probably won't answer your question unless they have already made their decision.

One more thing - I didn't go the email route - I sent an overnight letter. I think it might carry a little more weight and/or get the attention you are looking for. Again - good luck to you!

:thumbup:

I would call just to see what your honest chances are... you don't need to tell them about your acceptances.

instead of saying you have acceptances, you can just say you'd REALLY appreciate any real feedback they give so you can plan accordingly

good idea dentalworks, much appreciated.

Definitely agree. By calling attention to your other acceptances, it already implies you think you are "better" then the other applicants and many schools have plenty of similar applicants with similar stats.

Remember, the admissions departments have a tough enough time issuing interviews, give them any reason to reject you and it becomes that much easier.

implying im better? :confused:

Come on. Just call or don't call. Nobody hear is going to tell you anything you don't already know, and you won't listen to anyone that tells you something you don't want to hear.

doc, thats a good one "high pressure tactics".

I'll trade you maryland for buffalo (NY resident). mmmmhm:smuggrin:.

JUST KIDDING, it is too cold up in Buffalo, <3 maryland!

On a serious note, someone recommended I use this tactic today as well for one of my state schools in which neither I have heard a positive response from, and I thought it sounded a bit ridiculous and arrogant as others said above....but my friend swears it worked for her friend that applied last year and that person above proves it...hmmmm STILL I personally wouldn't do it and would just simply call and express interest or send a letter of interest w/o mentioning other acceptances. Maybe you can imply you have other acceptances without saying so such as: "I am grateful that I have options to attend mutliple dental schools, but XXXXXschool has my highest consideration and I was wondering the status of my application alalalalaa...I was impressed by XXXX of this school and would like to attend for XXX reasons etcetc." or something similar.

Come on. Just call or don't call. Nobody hear is going to tell you anything you don't already know, and you won't listen to anyone that tells you something you don't want to hear.

i got my answer from those who have been in a similar situation. handled correctly, contacting the school can be productive.

keep us posted by updating this thread so it would be useful for future generation. ;)

i got my answer from those who have been in a similar situation. handled correctly, contacting the school can be productive.

Snaggletoof, congrats on both those acceptances! I'm also waiting to hear back from Maryland too. I had an interview at maryland, and haven't head back-- feeling a little discouraged.

I'd like to know whether it would be more effective to speak to a receptionist regarding status of application or to email the Dean of admissions (would she even answer?). Does anyone have any insight into this matter?

Snaggletoof, congrats on both those acceptances! I'm also waiting to hear back from Maryland too. I had an interview at maryland, and haven't head back-- feeling a little discouraged.

I'd like to know whether it would be more effective to speak to a receptionist regarding status of application or to email the Dean of admissions (would she even answer?). Does anyone have any insight into this matter?

chai, i was in the same boat at md last year, i interviewed at md in nov and didnt hear back from them at all as i said, till the beginning of this cycle. i received an email from them asking me what i've done to improve myself as a dental candidate and sent my reply immediately, that was back in late sept early oct. still havnt been invited back for another interview... aint feeling the love from md i guess. good luck :luck: