Should I pass/fail?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juyo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 79% in my physiology class (upper level, not a prereq), so I'll probably end up getting a C+/B- unless I do very well on the final. If it matters, the rest of my courses will likely be either an A/A-, but since my cGPA is 3.5 as a junior, I dont want to weigh it down with a 4 credit weighted C+. Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

What's your science GPA? I'm sure others may have other opinions but for me that would be the deciding benchmark. Having a 3.5 GPA is not bad by any sense. If your science GPA is right up there in the 3.5 range, than a B- is not the end of the world. Truth be told anything in the B range is not the end of the world anyway. if you have a large discrepancy between your GPA and science GPA then it becomes a more nuanced discussion.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

What's your science GPA? I'm sure others may have other opinions but for me that would be the deciding benchmark. Having a 3.5 GPA is not bad by any sense. If your science GPA is right up there in the 3.5 range, than a B- is not the end of the world. Truth be told anything in the B range is not the end of the world anyway. if you have a large discrepancy between your GPA and science GPA then it becomes a more nuanced discussion.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Thanks for the reply - my sGPA is 3.3 so it would definitely be adversely affected to a more significant degree.