Medical Should I pick OSUCOM vs LKSOM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I got into both of these schools and have already PTE at LKSOM, but I'm trying to decide if I want to accept my spot off the WL at OSUCOM. A big thing that brought me to look at LKSOM was my gf is from NJ. However, I know that it's not necessarily the best thing in the world to pick a school for a girlfriend and etc. Also, we've been arguing so our relationship isn't 100% stable so I don't think I can justify choosing a school for her at this point. I'm kind of alone doing this so I'm not exactly sure how to choose honestly.

I know that OSUCOM is ranked 33 right now and LKSOM is ranked 61. I'm trying to understand what differences truly come between those ranks and what some of you guys thought about the two schools. I can't really find anything to figure out here is a def pro and con and here is what is better for me at this school or that school etc, so I'm struggling. Here's the current pros and cons:

OSUCOM:

Pros
-Newer facilities? (pretty sure they have a fancy hospital and stuff being built)
-Close to home
-Higher ranked
-Better research? (I want to specialize so having good research would be important to me)
Cons
-I don't really have any real cons other than being close to family. My family is kind of crazy so although it's great that -I'm close it can also be kind of toxic for me mentally and what not.
-No realistic chance of my gf and I working out

LKSOM:

Pros
-I actually drove up to Philly and met with the dean of the medical school and the dean of students (forget her official title) but they personally raised my scholarship for me so it would make more sense financially since I'm a 0 EFC student. This gave me a widely great impression of the administration there and quite honestly it would hurt to go back on my word that I told them I really wanted to go there at the time.
-Gives my relationship a realistic chance
-Really just enjoyed my visit to the school
-Gave me a 25k/yr 100k overall scholarship was originally 20k/yr 80k overall
-In a new area for me, I've never lived outside of OH my entire life.
Probably better city

Cons
-Lower ranked
-Slightly more expensive? Maybe like 2-3k a year not really something I think I should be deciding on but it's a minimal con

I will say that a huge draw to LKSOM at the moment for me is the administration and I felt like they cared about me and etc. However, the little bit I have interacted with OSU's administrative person I've been in contact with has also been very nice and willing to go and do things for me and etc.

I guess I'm mainly wondering how much better is OSUCOM than LKSOM realistically speaking and what does 30 spots mean.
A couple things of note. Being happy where you go is a large factor, and sometimes admin can be the reason for students being happy or going somewhere dreadful. As for the gf: if a SO is not willing to re-locate for you, then it shouldn't be on you to have to re-locate for them. Do NOT pick a school for a relationship that is still likely so new that significant sacrifices need to be make.

Which school is cheaper after any scholarship? Where do you want to live for the next couple years? Did you meet any current students, and if so, which gave a feel for where you click more?

Where do you think you'd like to complete residency/match?

Objectively speaking, it doesn't matter which you go to between these two schools IMO.

Members don't see this ad.

Temple's medical school. I assume you know that it's temple but I'm not sure what you're question marking I suppose hahahah.
I know it as Temple, not the donor's name.

Ranking mean nothing except to starry eyed pre-meds and med school Deans.

Go with the cheapest tuition.

quite honestly it would hurt to go back on my word that I told them I really wanted to go there at the time.
They hear this all the time. It's like the girl in the bar who gets told "But I'll still respect you in the morning!"

Members don't see this ad :)
My gf and I have been together for 3.5 years so that was something I should've made clear. However, I think we're hitting a rough patch to say the least and I don't think she would relocate for me at less she was going to the best school possible. Some of that stuff and other personal stuff is why I've actually just gone ahead and decided on OSU. It gives me the opportunity to be near and close to my family, cheaper, and I think I can still have excellent opportunities. As for matching and stuff that's where I was stuck because I could see myself on the east coast, but honestly I could see myself going wherever. Haha. Idk at this point, I've decided on OSU and I think I should just trust my gut with this one. Our guts are right more often than not when it comes to decisions like these I would say. Just really sucks I gave up a $40k scholarship for a relationship that fell apart basically literally a couple weeks later. lol but I'll live.
Glad it seems like you decided on the right place for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.