Should I postpone DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student192341

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My DAT is currently scheduled on August 5th. But I feel that I will not be ready by then since I am taking summer classes and working. Do you recommend postpoing DAT to August 24th? Is it too late? Will this adversely my chance to dental schools? I already submitted my application. Should I just stick to August 5th even I get lower score? My overall application is pretty solid with lots of expriences and 3.8ish GPA.

Any insights would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't seem like the best idea to take summer classes and work while studying for the DAT. You have 1month till Ayg5th and you dont think you will be ready. Do you think that 19 more days is enough to get you ready?

It doesn't seem like the best idea to take summer classes and work while studying for the DAT. You have 1month till Ayg5th and you dont think you will be ready. Do you think that 19 more days is enough to get you ready?

I would feel more prepared if I can have more 19 days. I am hesitant because applying as early as possible is always the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
well if you can afford postponing it and you feel it would help you, then go ahead. 19days likely isnt going to make/break your application, if you submit your scores right away

Bump. I would like more opinions on this. Is applying about two weeks early better than having a higher DAT score?

Bump. I would like more opinions on this. Is applying about two weeks early better than having a higher DAT score?
Answer you question, No. I would say higher DAT scores are much more important than when you apply. If you truly do not think you are ready to take the DAT on Aug 5th, then don't. Don't waste your time/money. Only take this exam if you feel prepared.

I am getting around 17-19 :(

Given your scores atm, I would postpone because chances are you may have an easier or more difficult exam than your practice scores range. I wouldn't leave it to that chance at all. I think it'd help if you can get solid 2 month of time to study without obligations. Try to use high yield resources and master the must know information before going at too many resources if you can!

I would postpone, if you’re not ready and you get a bad score, the two weeks won’t make a difference. If they are interested in you, they are more likely to give you that interview if they get those good high scores

I’ve heard people who scored in your range who ended up scoring over 21. What are you using to study? If the practice exams you are taking are known to be harder then I would not postpone. You don’t want to burn yourself out too.

Let it ride. Go for it and you’ll probably do fine. I worked full time when I was planning to take it and kept putting off studying, finally just had to say screw it, took a few days off from work and did most of my studying in 4 days. Granted I wouldn’t recommend people do what I did but it’s a story on the spectrum of what can be done. If you get serious with studying for the next few weeks you can do it.

Study hard and take it. If score is good = you are set; If score is not good = you'll be exactly where you were thinking about being - taking it again, later.

Too bad ADA limits the number of times the test can be taken, otherwise we would eventually get it right.