Sep 18, 2014
1
0
Status
Medical Student
I originally planned to take Step 2 CK at the end of September (this month). I've just taken one of the practice NBME's and I got about 200 (which is failing). I'm scheduled to take Step 2 in about 2 weeks. I was wondering if I should just postpone or if I should study hard and press forward. I hear most students can pass it after 2 weeks of intensive studying. On other hand, I'm wondering if I should not even risk it and just take it at my own convenience since I've read that it's not even required for ranking. I got a Step 1 score of ~220 and am applying to IM programs. I know it's not a great score but I thought it should be good enough to get me in somewhere in a program in Cali (where my home is) or NY (where my school is).

What do you guys think?
 

thehundredthone

7+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2012
802
218
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
It is required for ranking by some programs. What kind of score are you looking for? You're not realistically going to make a 50 point jump in two weeks unless this NBME score was a one-off. Alternatively, take another assessment midway through and if you haven't significantly improved then consider postponing it.