should I postpone step 2 ck?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

picolumo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I originally planned to take Step 2 CK at the end of September (this month). I've just taken one of the practice NBME's and I got about 200 (which is failing). I'm scheduled to take Step 2 in about 2 weeks. I was wondering if I should just postpone or if I should study hard and press forward. I hear most students can pass it after 2 weeks of intensive studying. On other hand, I'm wondering if I should not even risk it and just take it at my own convenience since I've read that it's not even required for ranking. I got a Step 1 score of ~220 and am applying to IM programs. I know it's not a great score but I thought it should be good enough to get me in somewhere in a program in Cali (where my home is) or NY (where my school is).

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

It is required for ranking by some programs. What kind of score are you looking for? You're not realistically going to make a 50 point jump in two weeks unless this NBME score was a one-off. Alternatively, take another assessment midway through and if you haven't significantly improved then consider postponing it.