Should I pull the trigger?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NKMU

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My AACOM app is ready to go, all I need to do is click send.

My stats:
Cum G.P.A.: 3.23 (Psych major, German Minor, pre-med)
Sci G.P.A.: 2.75, possibly slightly different depending on which of my classes will count as science. Science g.p.a. is higher over the last two years (I quit being pre-med and then decided to come back), but there are two ugly C's in my last semester-- organic lecture, and biochem. I never had any grades lower than a C.

MCAT: took it in August, waiting on scores. scored 25, 24, 28, 27, 28 on Kaplan 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. who knows what real thing will be...

EC/Experience:
-1 year volunteer in E.D. (with a D.O. from OU, the school I want to attend-- I'll likely have a rec from her)
-work full time as a Patient Care Assistant (fancy name for nurse aide) at a 300 bed hospital, in various departments. Take vitals, blood glucose testing, phlebotomy, etc..
-various shadowing experiences with other M.D.'s and D.O.'s

Letters of Rec will be OK, one should be particularly strong (former supervisor and M.D.) D.O. letter will be from OU grad. I'm an Ohio resident.

I designated 11 D.O. schools. Should I apply with these stats? I'm having serious reservations about applying with my lackluster g.p.a. Am I wasting hundreds of dollars applying at this time in this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

It may all hinge on your MCAT's. Your overall GPA is within range and your experience as a nurse's aid is helpful, but your science GPA may hurt you.

One thing that I think you need to keep in mind is applications have been down for all medical schools in the last 10 years or so. This is primarily due to the strong economy and the availability of other, high paying jobs that would lure prospective candidates away from applying. It's not the only reason, but from what I've read it's probably the biggest reason. Since the economy seems to be on the downswing, I don't think it would be unreasonable to assume that med school apps may increase. I'm not psychic, but simply postulating based on past stats.

What I'm trying to say is that you might want to consider risking the investment now because it may become more difficult to get in later. I would also add that if you are not an under represented minority (URM) and your MCAT's are, say, below 21, you probably won't have much of a chance. They don't let in everyone who applies and they have to deny somebody (statistically, they reject a little less than 2/3 of applicants).

If it were me, I would take a chance and apply.

-JmE-

Members don't see this ad :)
If your heart is in it I'd say go for it. I've read a lot of stories from people who don't think they can get in getting in, and your experiences show that you know what you can be getting into. If it were me, I'd do it, but I know that it's what I really want to do and it's worth it to me to put it out there.

I'd say look at a variety of schools and their admissions requirements, shadow a DO (if you haven't already) and see what happens!

I hate to be the one to say this. I would take a chance and apply, but you don't have a really good chance of being interviewed, based on what the averages have been.

Two things are hurting you. The fact that your science GPA is under 3.0, and the fact that you just got 2 C's in science courses. Med schools look closely at science GPA's, so having one under 3.0 won't make you very competitive with most applicants that are in the 3.2 to 3.7 range. Your 2 C's in important pre-med classes might be read by adcoms as your burning out. You're only saving grace could be a high MCAT score.

I'm not saying don't apply. I subscribe to the "anything can happen" school of thought, but don't be too optimistic about your chances. However, if you do get an interview, no one will be happier than me (except maybe you and your family). When I decided to return back to school I was in a similar situation, except my overall GPA was worse. I had to spend 3.5 years improving the GPA to a level acceptable enough for med schools.

If you have a few years to kill, I'd suggest using them working on taking science courses to show medical schools you could handle the material.

Good luck!

You'll never know if you don't apply. Just an encouragement to you: While my overall GPA was 3.5 and science GPA was 3.3, I got C's in both semesters of organic and only a 22 on the MCAT. Needless to say I wasn't very optimistic about my chances, but guess what? I was accepted into a DO school and start orientation today. You have a lot of experience in the medical field, a strong letter of rec, and while your science GPA will be your struggling point, there are schools that look past the numbers game and see what you really have to offer as a doctor. If you know for certain that this is what you want to do, go for it. That's what happened to me, so don't give up!

Cricket,
Where are you starting DO school at?

I am attending AZCOM. We started orientation today, and so far I am loving the school. I've heard nothing but great things about it, and everyone seems so friendly and nice. I also thought that it was awesome how they realized that I am more than the sum of my mcat scores and that there's more to being a doctor than just the numbers. I would encourage anyone who's applying to consider AZCOM! I love it.