Should I raise my GPA? - Need Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Got Em

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm pretty new here and need some help. I did a search on this forum and also went through a few Pharm D to MD threads, but none of them really answers my question.

I will be a pharmacist this May and I'm planning to apply for a MD program in the US in 2 years. I have a 3.42 undergrad science GPA with a 3.5 overall gpa. My pharmacy GPA is 3.8, but I know this will not count. I looked at the MCATs and I'm confident that I'll score at least a 32. For ECs, I am the treasurer of student senate, and the president of the personal finance club. I plan to volunteer to give free blood sugar/blood pressure screenings once every month. I'm also involved in another organization for volunteer work. I plan on shadowing 4-5 doctors for a few hours each in the next 2 years. I have no research experience and no other clinical experience.

I'll take one class per semester maximum for 4 semesters. My BCPM will be bumped up to a little above a 3.5. Judging from what I just wrote, should I take a science class every semester while working to boost up my BCPM GPA? Any help regarding how to improve my application will be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

My general advice is to keep boosting your app until you get in somewhere. I'd focus on the MCAT for the next few months and take it in April or May. Apply to schools next cycle and start taking classes over the summer. If you get in great, if not, you are already on your way to improving your app for the next time. You could do all the coursework first, but you may get some bites with your current stats, plus a good MCAT.

Also, don't plan on getting any particular MCAT score until you start taking practice exams. Work hard and you can achieve a good score.:luck:

based on your post, you may not be in the US now? The app competitiveness for US citizens is pretty different than it is for non-US citizens, the MSAR (this can be purchased on the AAMC.ORG web site, or amazon.com) has statistics on this.

in general, a couple thoughts would be to look at more clinical volunteer experience that will show you doctor/patient interactions, shadowing is a good part of this, some med schools do not value shadowing at all, per admissions personnel at schools I've spoken with. To strengthen your app, I'd suggest gaining 100+ clinical volunteer hours that would allow you to observe doctor/patient interaction.

For your undergrad gpa, I'd look at typical GPAs at the schools you're looking at and look to exceed those figures; there are plenty of stats on applicants and matriculants on aamc.org, as well as the MSAR.

Beware the MCAT..most people who apply to med school are fiercely intelligent, test extremely well, have prepared for months for this exam, and know that this test is the make-or-break for being accepted to med school. Yet last I checked, the average test score was around 25 with around a 5 point standard deviation. In my experience, the difference will be how many hours you're willing to commit to this; 2 months 100% and several advanced science courses got me into the low 30's; tack on a couple more months to bump it up to the mid/upper 30's or higher.

I'm actually in Texas right now. I stated that I wanted to apply to a US MD program because I'm not planning on the DO or IMG route. I guess I should clear up some confusions and see what else you guys think. I'm willing to basically study for the MCATs for a year and a half, so this is why I'm sure I'll get at least a 32 on the test. Also, I have all of my pre-reqs already done. I just asked the question of taking classes again just to boost up my GPA. I was going to re-take BIO I and II even though I've made Bs on them. Good points about the clinical work though, I'll try to get at least some of those in.