Do Too Many Credits From Pass/Fail Courses Make It Harder To Raise Your Cumulative GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrBelle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering finishing some nursing courses that I need from a school that does not give grades but do grant credits. It would impact my earning potential greatly in a short period of time otherwise I wouldn't bother.

What I don't understand is this. If the more credits you have, the harder it is to raise your GPA, how would taking these pass/fail courses affect me? Even with no grade, would they hinder my efforts to raise my cum. over the next 2 years?

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think they're calculated with the GPA. Pass/Fail courses don't have a grade for most institutions -- unless you Fail. Check with your institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a few Pass/Fail courses. AMCAS does not factor those credits into your GPA calculations (unless you fail).

so when you calculate your gpa, they do not add those additional credit hours as attempted credits?

so when you calculate your gpa, they do not add those additional credit hours as attempted credits?

They count the credits, but not as GPA hours.

When you enter your coursework there is an option to select pass fail. When they calculate and verify you GPA on the application, your pass/fail coursework will be listed on its own line labeled "Supplemental Hours" along with AP credits, and CLEP credits.

It should make it easier for you to raise your GPA quickly. You may run into other obstacles if all of your credits are pass/fail. Will your science prereqs be graded?

Reactions: 1 user
They count the credits, but not as GPA hours.

When you enter your coursework there is an option to select pass fail. When they calculate and verify you GPA on the application, your pass/fail coursework will be listed on its own line labeled "Supplemental Hours" along with AP credits, and CLEP credits.

It should make it easier for you to raise your GPA quickly. You may run into other obstacles if all of your credits are pass/fail. Will your science prereqs be graded?

Perfect. This is exactly what I wanted to know. THANK YOU

Yes, all science prereqs and my first degree is graded and all gpa repair work will be graded.

My only other concern is while the school only places pass or fail on the transcript for all classes, they do add a memo that states PASS = a grade of B or higher which translates to 3.0.
So while the courses are true pass/fail, I wonder if AMCAS will translate all the classes I pass as a B even though the memo says 3.0 or higher. They will not offer AMCAS any raw grades. I've searched high and low, the instruction manual for 2017, and even called AMCAS. The rep said it will be pass/fail but my experience with the fine print tells me I need to make sure somehow because as someone who is doing GPA repair, the last thing I need is a batch of courses taking my 4.0 work down

Perfect. This is exactly what I wanted to know. THANK YOU

Yes, all science prereqs and my first degree is graded and all gpa repair work will be graded.

My only other concern is while the school only places pass or fail on the transcript for all classes, they do add a memo that states PASS = a grade of B or higher which translates to 3.0.
So while the courses are true pass/fail, I wonder if AMCAS will translate all the classes I pass as a B even though the memo says 3.0 or higher. They will not offer AMCAS any raw grades. I've searched high and low, the instruction manual for 2017, and even called AMCAS. The rep said it will be pass/fail but my experience with the fine print tells me I need to make sure somehow because as someone who is doing GPA repair, the last thing I need is a batch of courses taking my 4.0 work down

No need to worry it will just show pass, they won't attempt to apply any GPA equivalency. I was a heavy GPA repair applicant too, so I understand where you are coming from. Your hard work for those 4.0 grades is safe!

No need to worry it will just show pass, they won't attempt to apply any GPA equivalency. I was a heavy GPA repair applicant too, so I understand where you are coming from. Your hard work for those 4.0 grades is safe!

:-D THANK YOU!!!