Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Should I really consider medical school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Radiostar772, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Radiostar772

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

#1 Radiostar772, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. allantois

5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Go dental if you like the work environment and good with your hands.

Spector1 likes this.
  4. Strudel19

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was in a 5-year BS/PA program for a while and I juggled between whether to go PA or go to med school. For me, I realized I should do medical school once I realized that 1) I really enjoyed research and want to incorporate clinical investigation into my future medical practice and that 2) many years of education during my 20's isn't a sacrifice. Research is a factor in medical school admissions and even more so in residency and fellowship applications. Do you like research enough to keep with it? From what I see, people in their 20s are graduating with heaps of debt, working a crappy 9-5 and struggling to move out of their parents house - minus the engineers. You might as well just study. You're working from 22-62 whether you pursue medicine or not, but in medicine your job for the first ten years is to study.

5. Meeehai

Be very careful about choosing another healthcare route just because medical school is too strenuous. If you say you're not passionate or interested in being a doctor, what makes you more fit to be a dentist, in your opinion? You will still have to commit time to learning and take on the responsibility of being a caretaker - 4 years of school isn't necessarily a short amount of time. Make sure whatever other option you decide on is something you will be happy doing. I would advise against going in any healthcare route if you're just doing it because the pay is decent.

But I totally understand where you're coming from, I had similar thoughts a while back. Do I really want to waste the best years of my life stressed out and dedicating all my free time to studying instead of getting out there and having fun? I think this is a little bit of an over-exaggeration though, a lot of medical students will tell you this: you still can go out, socialize, party and have a fun time while in medical school (or any other professional school), you just have to manage your time well. You won't have the freedom of going out 5 nights a week, but you can definitely squeeze in time to get drunk with your friends at the bar/club occasionally. I would look into shadowing multiple professionals in the field you want to go into first and make sure it's something you want to do. Finding a career you love isn't easy, so maybe you need some time to find something you like, there's nothing wrong with that.

jb94mg, Petrichor1, Goro and 2 others like this.
  6. ac62994

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Sounds like your main goal is to get hitched.

If you've done shadowing/research/etc. and still question the profession, then don't even consider it. Head over to the Pre-Dental Forum and see what their lifestyles are like.

Goro likes this.
  7. genericpremedstudent

Pre-Medical
    If going to the club is a higher priority to you, then don't bother with med school

Goro and avgn like this.
  8. cantankerous

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    PA school sounds like a good fit if you can get all the patient contact hours lol

9. jonnythan

jonnythan Some men play tennis, I erode the human soul
    Physician 5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm only in MS2 right now, but it doesn't sound like medical school is a good choice for you. The prospect of stable salary and job security won't be enough by themselves to sustain the effort required for the next decade, and the prestige is not what it seems.

jb94mg and Goro like this.
  10. bengirlxD

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    Being part of the LGBT community should never stop you from doing what you want to do. Don't worry about the chances of having romantic relationships. There always opportunities even in rural settings. Don't let what you are stop you from what you want to be. You seem like you would be a great medical student. Yes there's a lot of commitment but that doesn't mean you will be 12 feet deep in books all the time.

Goro likes this.
  11. NotYou20

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Most med schools are not rural, not sure why you think you'd go to a rural school. But yeah, do something else. If you decide that you want to go to med school 5-10 years down the road you can. It's much harder to get out of medicine once you're in.

Goro likes this.
  12. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    No passion?

No Medicine. It's calling, like being a fireman or a priest.

13. gothicfoxes

gothicfoxes MD & MPH goals
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Becoming a doctor is about helping the suffering. If you're only in it for the social status and paycheck, this isn't the career for you. x

14. Dr.Sticks

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I went through a phase like that, only I was younger, I wasn't gay and I'm still not gay by the way, and no I wasn't interested in make social calls to the ladies at the local town diner or whatever..
    Anyway.. I questioned if I wanted to be a doctor.. I entertained other careers.. I hated the time requirement, etc.. Problem was I couldn't image not being a doctor..
    So If you can't imagine being outside a hospital, or in scrubs with a mask on your face and gloves on your hand or in a clinic helping the locals or whatever then medicine is for you.
    At least that's how I viewed it.. And I finally chose my destiny..

Also if you're into it for the stable job, etc.. I wouldn't do it. Being a doctor isn't a job, it's a lifestyle.. At least that is what most docs told me..

15. Meeehai

[​IMG]

16. Dr.Sticks

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm not going to elaborate.. Okay slightly
    pishtruoc