Should I reapply this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lotus08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if reapplying in the '09 cycle would even be worth it. I was rejected from every school I applied to this past cycle and I have not done anything worthwhile this year, because I thought I would go to SGU, but have decided to reapply. My stats are as follows (approximately): overall gpa 3.4, Science 3.32, MCAT 29 first time and 24 second time.

SO my questions are:

1) Will an SMP help me at all?
2) Will retaking the MCAT in July and applying this cycle be worth it if i can get above a 30?
3) Since I don't have any new medical experience/ research, do you think I should wait one more year (reapply for 2010)?

I have looked into DO, and am considering it, but don't want to apply unless my heart is fully into it.

Thank you for the help!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if reapplying in the '09 cycle would even be worth it. I was rejected from every school I applied to this past cycle and I have not done anything worthwhile this year, because I thought I would go to SGU, but have decided to reapply. My stats are as follows (approximately): overall gpa 3.4, Science 3.32, MCAT 29 first time and 24 second time.

SO my questions are:

1) Will an SMP help me at all?

Maybe, but your primary problem is that you took the MCAT a second time and took a major nosedive in score. That is really a bad thing to have on your application.

2) Will retaking the MCAT in July and applying this cycle be worth it if i can get above a 30?

Yes, if you can really do it - don't take chances and end up going down another 5 points.

3) Since I don't have any new medical experience/ research, do you think I should wait one more year (reapply for 2010)?

At this point, I don't think medical experience or research is what is holding you back, it's grades and your poor MCAT. I would say taking more classes (an SMP, as you suggested) and raising your MCAT score are far more impt than getting more shadowing hours.

I have looked into DO, and am considering it, but don't want to apply unless my heart is fully into it.

Thank you for the help!!:)

You could probably get into DO school. I know people who have gotten in with MCAT <20. If your heart is fully into being a doctor, then find a way to get your heart into having a DO.

Be very careful if you're thinking about retaking the MCAT - only do so if you've identified the problems during your first retake and fixed them. If you didn't take a prep class before, consider that now. You do NOT want to take the test until you're ready - score significantly lower than 29 again and you're really hurting your chances.

Why are you considering a Caribbean MD before a US DO degree?

Don't discount the DO degree. If you apply again, why not go all out and apply to US MD schools, Carribean schools AND DO schools. That way, you don't end up wasting time and money.

Many people are becoming familiar with the DO degree. Sure you'll have to explain to some people that, "No, I'm not a chiropractor," but most people won't even notice. In fact, in the hospital, patients often have no idea who is a doctor and who isn't, let alone distinguishing between an MD and a DO.