Should I reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDpreMD

Reaction score
Hey!!

I was recently accepted into a DO program close to home and am psyched about an acceptance. That being said, in the past semester I've had a 4.0 in my SMP program and am tempted to pass up the DO acceptance and reapply next year for an MD with my SMP grades. I've spoken to a residency director who I have worked with in the past and he suggested I reapply for MD if I want a shot at a competitive residency in the future. I am so thankful for my acceptance but can't help but want to use my success in the SMP program to help with my application next cycle since my application this cycle did not have those grades.

Members don't see this ad.

No, you take this A and you run, as fast and as hard as you can. Frame that mf and go out and celebrate, because you've won. Congratulations

Reactions: 6 users
Frankly put, it looks like you don't want to be a doctor. If that's the case, please give up your A so the next accomplished, suitable, and grateful applicant can achieve their dream of becoming a physician.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!!

I was recently accepted into a DO program close to home and am psyched about an acceptance. That being said, in the past semester I've had a 4.0 in my SMP program and am tempted to pass up the DO acceptance and reapply next year for an MD with my SMP grades. I've spoken to a residency director who I have worked with in the past and he suggested I reapply for MD if I want a shot at a competitive residency in the future. I am so thankful for my acceptance but can't help but want to use my success in the SMP program to help with my application next cycle since my application this cycle did not have those grades.
It is highly unlikely that anyone will recommend you turn down your only current path to medical school this application cycle in the hopes of more opportunities in a later cycle. Add in that you already deemed your prior odds futile enough to seek out and perform an SMP, and that your current acceptance is to a program close to home--and this idea is just about D.O.A.

But lets entertain it.

What is your:
uGPA
projected SMP GPA
projected cGPA
MCAT history
brief extracurricular synopsis
current age

Reactions: 1 users
I believe if you have an acceptance anywhere and you turn it down to reapply, it's sort of a scarlet letter. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I won't assume that you don't have things planned out already and may eventually be trying to get into a difficult specialty where being at an MD school still gives you a fairly large advantage over being at a DO school. That would be the main reason I would expect someone wanting to try for MD already having a DO acceptance in hand. However, as I stated initially, I think an acceptance is something you should go with regardless of where it is since applying with a turned down acceptance is typically not looked upon favorably by adcoms.

Best of luck and congratulations on the acceptance!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Poor planning to apply DO if you weren't going to take your acceptance.

I agree with this. I believe someone who wants to be an MD should apply ONLY MD the first cycle THEN reapply MD+DO.

However, OP - I had a 3.4 in my SMP (but higher than my 2.9 undergrad) and I got into a good MD school with a below average MCAT (ORM). With that said, given your performance the worst case scenario is that you reapply and only get another DO acceptance. So if you're willing to delay your career by 1 year then it's worth a shot.

MANY of my classmates were in your shoes and chose to forfeit their DO acceptances and are now very happy. From reading these other responses it seems these physicians and even some older medical students have been out of the "game" for too long so to speak. They do not seem to understand the intricacies of the application process. You will not be "banned" and it is not a "scarlet letter". There is absolutely no way for any DO school to know you forfeited an acceptance.

The fact that you asked this question indicates you'd rather be MD (since you're potentially considering a competitive specialty/fellowship). There are hundreds of people each year who forfeit DO and successfully reapply MD but do not make such posts because they are 100% committed.
So many things wrong here… makes me think you‘re just trolling

I agree with this. I believe someone who wants to be an MD should apply ONLY MD the first cycle THEN reapply MD+DO.

However, OP - I had a 3.4 in my SMP (but higher than my 2.9 undergrad) and I got into a good MD school with a below average MCAT (ORM). With that said, given your performance the worst case scenario is that you reapply and only get another DO acceptance. So if you're willing to delay your career by 1 year then it's worth a shot.

MANY of my classmates were in your shoes and chose to forfeit their DO acceptances and are now very happy. From reading these other responses it seems these physicians and even some older medical students have been out of the "game" for too long so to speak. They do not seem to understand the intricacies of the application process. You will not be "banned" and it is not a "scarlet letter". There is absolutely no way for any DO school to know you forfeited an acceptance.

The fact that you asked this question indicates you'd rather be MD (since you're potentially considering a competitive specialty/fellowship). There are hundreds of people each year who forfeit DO and successfully reapply MD but do not make such posts because they are 100% committed.
We know three things about OP:

1) They have completed at least one semester of a SMP
2) They obtained a 4.0 in one semester of that SMP
3) They have an acceptance in-hand to a medical school near their family

That's it.

OP hasn't yet completed their SMP, they haven't revealed their running cGPA, nor have they offered information on their MCAT score(s).

Yet you're confident enough in OP's "performance" to advise them to burn the only bridge they have to medical school. You're literally advising them to make perhaps the biggest decision of their entire life based off of the phasing of a few classes in a SMP at an undisclosed institution.

Did you actually read their post? Are you serious in your recommendation based on the minuscule information provided?

Reactions: 1 user
I love your response... and as a premed. LOL. I have worked with my school's admissions department and my experience from my SMP (a ****ty SMP at that) has taught me a lot

4.0ing in any SMP is no easy feat. Even the most neurotic med students might only manage an 85% average. OP has shown they are WORTHY of an MD acceptance (Whether or not they get one is a different question). If OP can keep up their 4.0 (or >3.8) they have an excellent shot. Like I said, myself and tons of others from my SMP got into MD schools with 3.3-3.6. Of course, many went DO, some got in nowhere, etc. Anyways, OP won't know until they try. There is virtually 0 risk and they WILL get another DO acceptance next cycle, I'm willing to bet my career on it ( I will literally drop out if OP doesn't get another DO A)
I was just checking to be sure your recommendation truly is based on a single semester of SMP. It appears you're able to ascertain a tremendous amount of information from that single datapoint and have exceptional confidence. I would strongly recommend day trading large sums of money whenever you have the opportunity.

If OP wants to be a doctor then they need do nothing but matriculate and study. If instead they're concerned with the letters that follow their name, then they should indeed listen to your advice. It is, however, the only advice that, no matter what you say, does not guarantee their position in medical school during their next cycle.

What is this fascination/obsession with being a "doctor". It's just a 9-5 job and some (specialties) are more tolerable than others. Yes, any specialty is accessible to DOs if they "work hard enough" but it would be a lie to say that the odds are equal to MD.

I personally could not tolerate FM, IM, Path, or Psych. If I was limited to these specialties I would rather drop out and pursue something else. For example, if I barely struggled to pass MS1 I might have just cut my losses there. They all make >200k+ but I simply would rather be a chef than do those specialties.

Yes, even MDs aren't guaranteed to "walk into" rads/gas but when you consider that *on average* they have a much easier time doing so (home programs ranking them high, more connections, perceived prestige, etc) it greatly improves the odds.
I would recommend to anyone who's had the great misfortune of enduring our back and forth to sift the data and look for themselves at the differential NRMP match rates between DO's and MD's. It might be a good idea to begin at 2020, the year GME was fully centralized and to normalize for something known to be heavily influential, such as number of publications--before interpreting the data.

There is truth in what you're saying, however it's important to understand that the intrinsic value you're placing on the letters MD may not rise to more than a few percentage points in match rate for a competitive applicant in a competitive specialty. Likewise, those letters may convey twice the odds under the same circumstances in another competitive residency.

As to how this translates to OP's predicament, nothing has changed. OP has a route to every competitive specialty in hand right now. Your personal experiences lead you to be so certain of a positive outcome that you're willing to bet your career on the fact that they will be able to get an A to another DO school if the MD path doesn't pan out. I think that level of confidence is both remarkable and misplaced because we don't know anything relevant about OP's application, save their one semester of a 4.0 in their SMP.

However, your latest post does, I think, reveal the root cause of this confidence: you couldn't fathom being a doctor if not for specializing, and further, you believe pursuing a DO confers such disadvantageous matching odds that you weigh that heavily in your risk equation when assessing whether or not OP should run towards or away from their current A.

As aforementioned, I would suggest deferring to available data.

If, like you, OP places high risk on becoming a DO = intolerably practicing FM or IM fellowship doc, then perhaps they too should aim at the bush and hope the birds don't all fly away.

Last edited:
Frankly put, it looks like you don't want to be a doctor. If that's the case, please give up your A so the next accomplished, suitable, and grateful applicant can achieve their dream of becoming a physician.
Lolwut. OP had an attending (i.e. someone who has gone through the process, albeit some time ago) give them a piece of advice that they want a second opinion on. If anything, OP is showing a good degree of humility by thinking over this physician's input before discarding it. Obviously outside looking in this advice is not great. But it's a pretty hot take to interpret what OP is saying as, "Hi I'm an ingrate."

Hmm, it seems that AACOM and AAMC might not cross talk in terms of their apps. Thus, MD Schools shouldn't directly know of a turned down DO acceptance.

However, there are apparently secondaries that will ask about prior apps/acceptances. Thus, you might do your best to try to figure out which schools those are and possibly avoid applying to them specifically if you decide to reapply in general.

Last edited:
This is an interesting thread on the topic:

Last edited: