Should I reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keepitup

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,'
I applied to UOP and UCSF and was interviewed at UCSF on 3/3. I just got a denial letter from them. I think the reason was that my gpa was low (2.97 overall, but the last 2 years average was about 3.25). My Science DAT was 21, PAT 19. I didn't apply to others b/c I have family and want to stay in state. Should I reapply this year to all of dental school and what is the chance of being accepted to at least one school. IF any one has a suggestion, please let me know. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

keepitup said:
Hi all,'
I applied to UOP and UCSF and was interviewed at UCSF on 3/3. I just got a denial letter from them. I think the reason was that my gpa was low (2.97 overall, but the last 2 years average was about 3.25). My Science DAT was 21, PAT 19. I didn't apply to others b/c I have family and want to stay in state. Should I reapply this year to all of dental school and what is the chance of being accepted to at least one school. IF any one has a suggestion, please let me know. Thanks

Hey, i think if you apply early, getting into a few schools with your stats isnt uncommon. i would definately apply to more schools, or at least some safety schools. as for family, eh, four years away from family to gain your DDS degree aint bad right? also, if you havent already done so, check www.predent.com. it'l give you an idea of what kindof competition your up against at the schools you choose. gl to you.

keepitup said:
Hi all,'

Your GPA is not very competitive for either of those schools. But, it's still totally possible for you to get into those schools next year. If you're worried about staying close to home, there are plenty of other west coast options like USC, UCLA, Loma Linda, Oregon, UNLV, Washington, Arizona. Apply agian!

Members don't see this ad :)
Tche said:
Your GPA is not very competitive for either of those schools. But, it's still totally possible for you to get into those schools next year. If you're worried about staying close to home, there are plenty of other west coast options like USC, UCLA, Loma Linda, Oregon, UNLV, Washington, Arizona. Apply agian!

University of Washington is not an option for the OP. UW seems to very rarely accept out-of-staters!!!

dat_student said:
University of Washington is not an option for the OP. UW seems to very rarely accept out-of-staters!!!

UW is very competitive, but not impossible for an out-of-stater. I would still apply there if I were you. If you get a secondary the fee is only $35. Not many schools can beat that deal.

Tche said:
UW is very competitive, but not impossible for an out-of-stater. I would still apply there if I were you. If you get a secondary the fee is only $35. Not many schools can beat that deal.

UW is a competitive public school. 2.97 and 3.2 may be too low for an out-of-stater.

UW accepts 2 out of staters.

Definitely reapply, but make sure to do something to improve your application. Take some more classes, improve your GPA, get a better DAT score, apply earlier, get some more volunteer or research experience, etc. They've turned you down once, so unless you show you're a better candidate the next time around, what's to keep them from denying you again? Also, if you're really dedicated to becoming a dentist, you'll have to apply to schools outside of SF as well to improve your chances.

keepitup said:
Hi all,'

i agree with the previous respondent. i think the important thing is to anylize why your application failed to gain you admission

1) your gpa is weak-i assume that you have already or are now graduating college. if you are in your last semester, do whatever you can to increase your gpa. you don't state your science gpa, and i assume that it is no better than your overall gpa. starting this summer, i would start taking science (bcp) courses at a suitable grad school. i would work like i never worked before to raise your gpa-the grades that you get this summer will help, and the grades that you get over the next year or two, if neccesary, will bring your bcp gpa up to around 3.4-3.5.

2)your science dat is fine, but not high enough to make up for your weak gpa. you don't state your academic average dat. i would attempt to increase your dat's-the lower your gpa, the higher that you are going to have to get your dat's. i would say that during this cycle, 23/23/19 would have been a minimum to compensate for your gpa.

3)apply early, and remember that each cycle for the next few years may be more competitive than the preceeding cycle.

4) i certainly do believe that your dream is a good possibility-you are just going to have to work a bit harder for it, but if you do, i think that you will get it. you are going to have to repair the weak parts of your application, and convert it into a strong application. i wish you luck.

dat_student said:
UW is a competitive public school. 2.97 and 3.2 may be too low for an out-of-stater.

I agree with this post. UW rarely accepts out-of-staters so don't waste your money there. Unless the OP has some amazing personal background coupled with at least a 3.7 sci GPA, it's pretty much a hopeless cause.

crazy_sherm said:
Definitely reapply, but make sure to do something to improve your application. Take some more classes, improve your GPA, get a better DAT score, apply earlier, get some more volunteer or research experience, etc. They've turned you down once, so unless you show you're a better candidate the next time around, what's to keep them from denying you again? Also, if you're really dedicated to becoming a dentist, you'll have to apply to schools outside of SF as well to improve your chances.
Hi crazy_sherm,
I really like UOP and my whole family are their patients. It is my clinical experience as their patient that motivated me to be a dentist. Since you are soon to be UOP grad, can you tell me some tips and ways to definitely get accepted into your school. If I work in research iinstitute like VA-UCSF, do they like that? or they just look at the stats? Thanks

1. Schedule an appointment with the Dean of Admission and ask him what you can do to elevate your chance to be matriculated for the next year.

2. Ask your UOP dentist to be your mentor and write you a recommendation letter.

3. Donate a lot of money to UOP

4. Retake your DAT and aim for 23 on PAT