Should I retake a 509 if I had a 512 FL average?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnanimousUnity

Reaction score
My FL average was 512, and It has a strong upward trend with a high point of 516. I was honestly expecting to score somewhere between 514 and 518 on the real deal (About 90th percentile).

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to sleep much the night before my exam, and I was very nervous throughout. Due to this, my score dropped to 509 (75th percentile) (128/125/128/128). My CARS score is usually a 127-128 and my P/S is around 129-130. I think I can do better on the test, and potentially get a 512-514 with another month of review and studying. I have scheduled an exam for May 27th just in case.

My question is, do I need to retake my exam?

I'm a CA ORM with a 3.99 GPA, and I have good ECs, etc. I think my MCAT score will hold me back, and I should retake it.

Members don't see this ad.

Given your FL avg, your score is close enough to the confidence band a retake would only be beneficial if you were to score much higher on your practice exams (preferably not doing repeat exams as those would be inflated).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I would not suggest to. The difference is pretty much to the confidence band

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not suggest to. The difference is pretty much to the confidence band
My FL trend during the last month went like:
509 (127,127,127,128)
510 (129,127,127,127)
516 (129,127,130,130)
513 (128,128,128,129)
Ending up with a 509 was a big letdown for me since I knew I could score higher. I had never scored a 125 on CARS as I did on the real exam. I think if I retake the exam, I can manage at least a 127 on CARS and perhaps improve my score by 3-5 points with a P/S improvement.

The difference is huge in my eyes since it goes from the 75th percentile to the 90th percentile.

Scoring a 513-514 would even put my confidence band at a 511-512 minimum rather than a 507-511.

Is this a good enough reason for a retake?

My FL trend during the last month went like:
509 (127,127,127,128)
510 (129,127,127,127)
516 (129,127,130,130)
513 (128,128,128,129)
Ending up with a 509 was a big letdown for me since I knew I could score higher. I had never scored a 125 on CARS as I did on the real exam. I think if I retake the exam, I can manage at least a 127 on CARS and perhaps improve my score by 3-5 points with a P/S improvement.

The difference is huge in my eyes since it goes from the 75th percentile to the 90th percentile.

Scoring a 513-514 would even put my confidence band at a 511-512 minimum rather than a 507-511.

Is this a good enough reason for a retake?
Based on this, then probably would not be a terrible idea but please be aware that is still a bet and if you get the same score you may hurt yourself.
Best of luck

Def study more and retake imo

Based on this, then probably would not be a terrible idea but please be aware that is still a bet and if you get the same score you may hurt yourself.
Best of luck
I think I'll retake FL1 and see how I do. Yeah, it'll probably be inflated a little bit, but I can see if It's worth a retake.

My FL average was 512, and It has a strong upward trend with a high point of 516. I was honestly expecting to score somewhere between 514 and 518 on the real deal (About 90th percentile).

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to sleep much the night before my exam, and I was very nervous throughout. Due to this, my score dropped to 509 (75th percentile) (128/125/128/128). My CARS score is usually a 127-128 and my P/S is around 129-130. I think I can do better on the test, and potentially get a 512-514 with another month of review and studying. I have scheduled an exam for May 27th just in case.

My question is, do I need to retake my exam?

I'm a CA ORM with a 3.99 GPA, and I have good ECs, etc. I think my MCAT score will hold me back, and I should retake it.
The trouble is that in batting practice, everybody hits over .300.

It's a different story when you actually face a 95mph fastball.

A 509 is a good score, and is competitive for many med schools.

Reactions: 3 users
A 509 in and of itself is not a bad score. I think a 125 on CARS may hurt you though. I was in a similar situation and retook and got a better score. I was advised to retake because I got a 126 CARS. This was risky though.

OP: I was exactly you 3 years ago (CA, ORM, stats, and ECs). I was able to hit a 512 on my retake (CAR 125) with 3 months of full time studying (8 hours/day and 5 days/week). I did not have a single hook what so ever, and being a way ORM from CA, I had more of an anchor than a hook. Not trying to brag because I just wanted you to know what I did and the results of my decision to retake. I applied to 25 schools, received 11 II, attended 8 and got 5 As (two from T-30). I was not special. I did not have a life story to tell. I grew up privileged. Maybe it was my writing, charisma and good looks. ha ha. Interviews were inperson so this can be an advantage over zoom interviews.

Ginven your current stats/metrics. I would 100% go for the retake. GL.

Reactions: 1 users
OP: I was exactly you 3 years ago (CA, ORM, stats, and ECs). I was able to hit a 512 on my retake (CAR 125) with 3 months of full time studying (8 hours/day and 5 days/week). I did not have a single hook what so ever, and being a way ORM from CA, I had more of an anchor than a hook. Not trying to brag because I just wanted you to know what I did and the results of my decision to retake. I applied to 25 schools, received 11 II, attended 8 and got 5 As (two from T-30). I was not special. I did not have a life story to tell. I grew up privileged. Maybe it was my writing, charisma and good looks. ha ha. Interviews were inperson so this can be an advantage over zoom interviews.

Ginven your current stats/metrics. I would 100% go for the retake. GL.
Thank you for sharing this! I did end up retaking even though I didn't have time to study full-time. I'm awaiting my score right now. If it isn't what I had hoped for, I might not apply or get ready to apply next year with one last MCAT retake.

Would you mind sharing the school list you applied to 3 years ago? I'd love to reference it against mine to see if I'm missing any schools I should be applying to.

Thank you again!

Thank you for sharing this! I did end up retaking even though I didn't have time to study full-time. I'm awaiting my score right now. If it isn't what I had hoped for, I might not apply or get ready to apply next year with one last MCAT retake.

Would you mind sharing the school list you applied to 3 years ago? I'd love to reference it against mine to see if I'm missing any schools I should be applying to.

Thank you again!
I PM you my list. GL

I’m rooting for you! Let us know how it turns out.
I PM you my list. GL
A 509 in and of itself is not a bad score. I think a 125 on CARS may hurt you though. I was in a similar situation and retook and got a better score. I was advised to retake because I got a 126 CARS. This was risky though.
The trouble is that in batting practice, everybody hits over .300.

It's a different story when you actually face a 95mph fastball.

A 509 is a good score, and is competitive for many med schools.
Def study more and retake imo
Best of luck
Given your FL avg, your score is close enough to the confidence band a retake would only be beneficial if you were to score much higher on your practice exams (preferably not doing repeat exams as those would be inflated).

I wanted to give a little update. I have just checked my score and I scored a 516! (130/127/130/129). I wanted to thank all of you for your responses. Thanks to you, I didn't VOID my score and went through with my retake with minimal practice. I can confirm that if you feel like you bombed the MCAT, you actually did well.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Hell yeah

Proud of u bro

Bravo!! Amazing :))

legend! pays to take risks sometimes - glad it worked out for you OP! go crush this cycle :)

I wanted to give a little update. I have just checked my score and I scored a 516! (130/127/130/129). I wanted to thank all of you for your responses. Thanks to you, I didn't VOID my score and went through with my retake with minimal practice. I can confirm that if you feel like you bombed the MCAT, you actually did well.
Congrats!!!