Should I Retake? Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

streetcoat

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my MCAT Score back last week and scored a 510 (128/125/127/130). This was about a 3-4 point drop from my FL average(s) and I was wondering if I should retake to even have a chance this upcoming cycle. Have a 3.98 GPA and 3.95 Science. I'm from Michigan and considered an ORM. Advice needed.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are dead set on attending a prestigious school, a retake will boost your chances of that happening.

If you want to be a doctor, apply broadly and you should land somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
+/- 3 points from your FL average is expected, and since you're within that range, a retake could be risky.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my MCAT Score back last week and scored a 510 (128/125/127/130). This was about a 3-4 point drop from my FL average(s) and I was wondering if I should retake to even have a chance this upcoming cycle. Have a 3.98 GPA and 3.95 Science. I'm from Michigan and considered an ORM. Advice needed.
your GPA tells a lot. Spend your time between now and app working on PS, and continuing your medically related ECs.

all your subscores are 125 and above. It’s fine.

I know that you’re concerned because you’re an ORM, but you need to focus on having an impactful PS and and impactful descriptions for your activities.

ORM here. Scored a 511 my first time around (FL average around 516), took 3 months to re-prep, then got a 516 on my retake. Will start at a T20 this Fall.

I took the risk and felt much more confident entering my app cycle. But this is just my experience, so take it with a grain of salt. Best of luck.

If you want to apply this cycle, I would recommend not to. 510 is not too far off from your FL average. To have a good shot at improving your score, you'd have to basically restudy and improve your FL average. See above: Hopingforsnacks re-prepped for 3-months, which is time you could be using to write your PS, prewrite secondaries, etc.

Keep your head up :)

If you want to apply this cycle, I would recommend not to. 510 is not too far off from your FL average. To have a good shot at improving your score, you'd have to basically restudy and improve your FL average. See above: Hopingforsnacks re-prepped for 3-months, which is time you could be using to write your PS, prewrite secondaries, etc.

Keep your head up :)
I like this advice. While it might not be this way for everyone (people have bad days on test days and what not), it's hard to expect a decent score jump without a decent change of prep plans.

I self studied as an undergrad, got my score (29 old scoring). Self studied again a year later and got 1 point higher. I went to grad school. I took a Kaplan course and studied intently for about 3 or 4 months. I made a 7 point jump after that.

I would suggest you DON'T retake it. There is a chance of a lower score and you're not too far away from your average on the practice tests. Apply to a lot of medical schools and I believe you have a chance to get in somewhere.

If you are dead set on attending a prestigious school, a retake will boost your chances of that happening.

If you want to be a doctor, apply broadly and you should land somewhere.
I also didn’t add, but I’m open to going to DO schools as well since I’m hoping to go into primary care. Would this score be competitive for most DO?

I also didn’t add, but I’m open to going to DO schools as well since I’m hoping to go into primary care. Would this score be competitive for most DO?
ABSOLUTELY yes. You're competitive for ALL DO schools and a lot of mid/low tier MD.
it won't be your score that hold you back too much if you make everything else good. There are plenty of high stat ppl that don't get anything, and it's not due to their scores.

BTW, don't under-estimate the personal statement and essays. They ABSOLUTELY make or break. WRITE NARRITAVE STYLE. Don't make it sound like a scientific publication.

You're in a good position actually.

Apply to 20 DO (Mid to high tier) and 40 MD (low to mid) and you should get something.