Should I retake calculus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I took Calculus I as a freshman and ended up with a B in the course. Because this class was 5 credits, it is currently holding back my science gpa quite a bit even though I will be a junior this fall. I can either retake the course at community college or at the university. My only concern with retaking at the university is that I am not positive if I can get an A. We do have a grade replacement program where if you retake a course the old grade gets completely replaced in gpa calculation, though I know only AMCAS gpa matters anyway. What are your thoughts? Should I retake or just leave the grade as is? I also need calculus II for my major and I have not taken that as yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't bother. Take a new science class if you wanna raise your GPA, or just do well in Calc II (easier said than done, I know).

Don't bother. Take a new science class if you wanna raise your GPA, or just do well in Calc II (easier said than done, I know).

That's what I seem to be hearing but won't they ask me why I did so poorly in a core premed class? If I just take it again and get an A, then wouldn't it confirm that I am competent in calculus.