Should I Retake DAT? 19AA 20TS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikkithomas143

Reaction score
I recently took my DAT over this past summer and do not really know if my scores are good enough to apply for the 2021 cycle or if I should retake

PAT: 20
RC: 20
QR: 16 (worried about this one)
BIO: 18 (also kinda worried about this one)
GC: 20
OC: 21
TS:20
AA: 19

I am not applying until 2021 so I still have the chance to retake I just don't want to go through the hassle of studying again if I don't need to. My GPA at the moment is a 3.67. Let me know what you guys think

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Imo it depends what caliber of school you want to get into. Solely based off of your gpa and dat scores and assuming every other part of your application is on par, I would say that your gpa is good enough to get into UPenn, Columbia, and your state school, but your dat will hold you back to a degree higher than I'd personally risk. Now if you're just aiming for something private like BU, Lecom, etc. then you'll probably be just fine (still a slight risk, but not too much). I'm applying this cycle so I'm no expert, just my two cents

It’s not impossible to get in with that DAT, but I’d humbly opine that it will be difficult. Some schools have cut offs for individual DAT sections, and usually it’s 17 from what I’ve seen. So the 16 might hold you back.

If I were you, I’d give it another go and aim for at least a 20AA :)

If your application is really good (volunteering, shadowing hours, leadership, ect), I think you can get into a dental school with that GPA and that DAT score. Definitely apply early next cycle! Have the application ready with personal statement and letter's of req all in at the time the application opens and I think you'll be good to go!