Should I retake DAT for better options or just enroll into NYU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hawt damn the amount of 3.8+ GPAS posted here is kind of unsettling. :(

I should have partied less and tried harder in undergrad.
already planned a summer vacation to europe right before dental school

Complains about unfair treatment in the admissions process and about his deposit to NYU, people. Not saying there's anything wrong with taking a summer vacation to Europe. I'm gonna go bare bones on a one week trip to Iceland and with Airbnb, flight, car rental, and food I'm gonna come out at around $1,100 which is a steal, but you don't hear me complaining about the price of my deposit. Perhaps you could reallocate some of the money for your European getaway to your education and your future?

I also took 2 gap years (graduated in 2014) but thats because I was choosing between med and dentistry and really wanted to solidify my decision to become a dentist.

Did you ever, just ever, stop to think that the reason you didn't get into Stony Brook, Rutgers, or Buffalo had anything to do with this. Perhaps you were unsuccessful in conveying your commitment to choosing dentistry? Did black people secretly edit your essay? Is that why you're mad at them for not getting in?

his amazing 2.6 gpa is head and shoulders above my pathetic 3.6. How did I even dare to question his abilities? In fact I might as well withdraw my applications and acceptance. I'm clearly not cut out for it
just took DAT yesterday: 21AA and 21PAT. also 3.45 gpa, stellar essays and LORs
no interview invite yet. aadsas was mailed out 9/11/15 and my stats are decent for tufts (3.45 gpa/ 21 AA 23 PAT)

getting nervous :(
So tell us lazyindy, is your GPA a 3.45 or a "pathetic 3.6"? 23 PAT or 21 PAT? Did you forget what your GPA and DAT scores were or did you decide to embellish to make a point?

Listen, I don't think affirmative action in admissions is fair the way it is right now. It gives an unfair advantage to affluent URMs and doesn't properly take into account the struggles of poor ORMs and their inability to pay their admissions deposits because they choose to go on vacation to Europe. I personally believe that it should be based on socioeconomic status, which can largely be determined by the public schools one attended growing up. We agree on more than you think, and your assumptions about people being too afraid to say anything not PC are asinine and stupid. None of this post is PC. Watch me get banned for not being PC.

State schools know their individual state's socioeconomic profile much better than others, and they would be best equipped to make this determination. Oh wait, they already do! Not saying your gripes about the admissions process are without any basis in reality, because you're right that skin color shouldn't put somebody above somebody else when socioeconomic status is a much more fair and pertinent metric. It's your attitude and lack of accountability and responsibility that are why Stony Brook, Buffalo, and Rutgers don't want to spend four years with you.

I was once listening to a podcast where Tony Robbins was speaking to a group of people. He asked any of them if they had ever failed. At first, nobody raised their hand. After he asked again, saying that everybody has failed and surely they had too, answers started to come out. "I didn't have enough start up capital", "my partners betrayed me". One man in the back raised his hand and said "I didn't have enough Supreme Court Justices in 2000." It was Al Gore. Tony Robbins said something along the lines of "you didn't fail because you didn't have enough Supreme Court Justices, you failed because you let it get to the Supreme Court. Had you won Florida's electoral votes outright you would have been elected, but you failed to inspire enough people".

You didn't fail because URMs took your spots at Stony Brook, Buffalo, and Rutgers. You failed because you didn't convince those adcoms to take you. That's on you, and nobody else. You want to complain about people playing the victim card? Stop doing it yourself. With the amount of time and energy you've spent railing against the admissions process, I refuse to believe you haven't known about this for awhile. If you know that you're held to a higher standard than URMs, regardless of whether or not it is fair, you have two options. Option 1: ball out, and leave no doubt in the minds of adcoms that whether you're purple, green, or pink that you're a good fit for your their school. Option 2: don't do everything you can to get into your top choice, and accept your fate at a different school.

There is no Option 3: Complain about circumstances that are completely within my control and not a surprise at all. Blame others for my shortcomings when the reality of the situation is that I failed to hold up my end of the bargain.

The next time you complain about a URM taking your spot, take a good long look in the mirror. If you're on an admissions committee, would you rather have a URM with terrible stats who is respectful, responsible, accountable, and truly committed to the field, or would you rather have you? I know if the decision is up to me, I take the URM every time.

Get over yourself and stop complaining.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
just wondering if you were accepted at Howard as well?

Thanks for the comment. I was not accepted to Howard unfortunately. I will be in the class of 2020 at NYU Dental. It is a very exciting time for all of us, including my family right now. I understand my stats were not stellar. For those of you that did not get accepted with similar numbers, I encourage you all to raise your GPA and DAT by taking additional classes and spending more time with preparation. There is no such thing as "it's hopeless." When I started getting B+ and A's closer to graduation, I tightened my circle of friends at school and spent a lot more time with my studies. I also started exercising instead of messing around and got rid of my asthma after some time. Even if you already have a bachelor's degree with a low GPA or a low DAT, retake those courses and the test by finding your own way of studying. Everyone is not the same. I truly believe honest and hard work, while being respectful to humanity and the environment will help us all. I know some practicing dentists are not the most honest people, so we as future dentists should do what is possible to be an ethical and respectful group.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the comment. I was not accepted to Howard unfortunately. I will be in the class of 2020 at NYU Dental. It is a very exciting time for all of us, including my family right now. I understand my stats were not stellar. For those of you that did not get accepted with similar numbers, I encourage you all to raise your GPA and DAT by taking additional classes and spending more time with preparation. There is no such thing as "it's hopeless." When I started getting B+ and A's closer to graduation, I tightened my circle of friends at school and spent a lot more time with my studies. I also started exercising instead of messing around and got rid of my asthma after some time. Even if you already have a bachelor's degree with a low GPA or a low DAT, retake those courses and the test by finding your own way of studying. Everyone is not the same. I truly believe honest and hard work, while being respectful to humanity and the environment will help us all. I know some practicing dentists are not the most honest people, so we as future dentists should do what is possible to be an ethical and respectful group.
Congrats man. Take advantage of the opportunity!

@Scumbag_Steve

obviously I'm not going to post my real GPA on a forum in risk of identification. It's between 3.4-3.6, and the 3.45 was just a low ball to set my expectations low for the cycle because I'm a pessimist. I don't remember my entire DAT score report, just that my AA was 21. Haven't even looked at it after applying, mustve gotten the 23 mixed up between PAT and reading. Heres a screenshot of the score from AADSAS:

edit: it was 22 reading. Just posted this so I don't get called a "liar" and for the sake of discussion

Last edited:
The next time you complain about a URM taking your spot, take a good long look in the mirror. If you're on an admissions committee, would you rather have a URM with terrible stats who is respectful, responsible, accountable, and truly committed to the field, or would you rather have you? I know if the decision is up to me, I take the URM every time.

Get over yourself and stop complaining.

Again just like @hellofuturedentists you're just making sweeping generalizations about me just because I criticized affirmative action and it opposes your views on it. I'm all up for a healthy debate but don't make assumptions about my personal qualities as a retort. I didn't blame the OP for taking my spot but was rather criticizing the admissions process and affirmative action in general.

Oh and where did you learn that Buffalo rejected me? last I checked, I was on the waitlist. I e-submitted my application late august and was mailed out early september which is considered late. Yet I have an NYU acceptance and a waitlist at UB (which hopefully turns into an acceptance). Clearly I did something right to convey my commitment to dentistry despite the fact that my application was late and that ORMs are held to a higher standard.

You don't know me personally dude so don't be quick to generalize. When I decided to switch from med to dentistry my parents stopped supporting me because they were upset that their son wasn't going to be a "doctor" (it's an indian thing, I know its stupid). Took me months to find a job well into 2015 to finance all the application fees and DAT prep materials. Thus, the reason for my late application.

Anyway, I don't care for this topic any further. Just had to let my anger out against a 2.6 gpa being accepted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Again just like @hellofuturedentists you're just making sweeping generalizations about me just because I criticized affirmative action and it opposes your views on it. I'm all up for a healthy debate but don't make assumptions about my personal qualities as a retort.

Again, I'm not blaming URM's for taking my spot but rather criticizing the admissions process as a whole that favor applicants based on skin color.
Are you joking? Did you read my post? I AGREE with you an affirmative action. Did you somehow miss that part? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt of mixing up your PAT and not using your GPA for anonymity's sake but you didn't just make a generalization about my views on affirmative action, you falsely characterized my stated views, in addition to completely failing to address the rest of my post. I don't need to make assumptions or generalizations about you your posting history says more than any insult I could ever throw at you. Being against affirmative action and not being responsible for your actions are mutually exclusive

Reactions: 1 users
@Scumbag_Steve

obviously I'm not going to post my real GPA on a forum in risk of identification. It's between 3.4-3.6, and the 3.45 was just a low ball to set my expectations low for the cycle because I'm a pessimist. I don't remember my entire DAT score report, just that my AA was 21. Haven't even looked at it after applying, mustve gotten the 23 mixed up between PAT and reading. Heres a screenshot of the score from AADSAS:

View attachment 201947
edit: it was 22 reading. Just posted this so I don't get called a "liar" and for the sake of discussion

I think maybe one thing that might have resulted in you not getting in was your late DAT test date (8/14/15 per your own report). It is likely that your application was not reviewed until September.

Again just like @hellofuturedentists you're just making sweeping generalizations about me just because I criticized affirmative action and it opposes your views on it. I'm all up for a healthy debate but don't make assumptions about my personal qualities as a retort.

Again, I'm not blaming URM's for taking my spot but rather criticizing the admissions process as a whole that favor applicants based on skin color.
They don't actually favor URMs. I'm pretty sure @Advance posted an excel sheet showing how few URMs are actually accepted... Additionally, did you read the pdf I posted for you? It explains why the process is like this. Here's another one from the ADEA http://www.adea.org/GoDental/Dentistry_101/Need_for_diversity.aspx
Not saying I necessarily I agree. Just for information.
It's good you're not blaming people for taking your spot. But when you post so angrily, it's hard to not assume that

I think maybe one thing that might have resulted in you not getting in was your late DAT test date (8/14/15 per your own report). It is likely that your application was not reviewed until September.
This was one of the money things he's posted I was gonna bring up but there was so much to quote I gave up before putting this in. Maybe the admissions process unfairly discriminates against people who don't do things on time. They're punctuality-ists I tell ya!

Reactions: 2 users
This was one of the money things he's posted I was gonna bring up but there was so much to quote I gave up before putting this in. Maybe the admissions process unfairly discriminates against people who don't do things on time. They're punctuality-ists I tell ya!
If we're being real though, it probably discriminates against the sheer volume of NYers who want to pay less for dental school than NYU allows. But the same could be said for people in most states I guess

and also to answer @Scumbag_Steve

When I decided to switch from med to dentistry my parents stopped supporting me because they were upset that their son wasn't going to be a "doctor" (it's an indian thing, I know its stupid). Took me months to find a job well into 2015 to finance all the application fees and DAT prep materials. Thus, the reason for my late application. But I still have an acceptance to NYU and waitlist at buffalo (which hopefully turns into an acceptance)

and also to answer @Scumbag_Steve

When I decided to switch from med to dentistry my parents stopped supporting me because they were upset that their son wasn't going to be a "doctor" (it's an indian thing, I know its stupid). Took me months to find a job well into 2015 to finance all the application fees and DAT prep materials. Thus, the reason for my late application. But I still have an acceptance to NYU and waitlist at buffalo (which hopefully turns into an acceptance)
You don't know anything about me "dude", so don't generalize and assume I didn't work full time while studying for the DAT or finance my own prep materials.

I wish you the best of luck getting in off Buffalo's wait list because I wouldn't wish NYU's tuition even on you.

Not saying you haven't faced any hardships, but you literally responded to my post with more excuses, which was exactly the point I was trying to make. Rather than answer to what I said, you said you had a hard time getting the finances together in time and then said you don't care to talk about this any further. Do you notice a pattern?

Members don't see this ad :)
Again just like @hellofuturedentists When I decided to switch from med to dentistry my parents stopped supporting me because they were upset that their son wasn't going to be a "doctor" (it's an indian thing, I know its stupid)..

dude i feel ya, desi parents are terrible.

I disagree with the whole late testing thing , if you get a good score it won't affect you , I took it August 20 and got into plenty of schools anyway

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You don't know anything about me "dude", so don't generalize and assume I didn't work full time while studying for the DAT or finance my own prep materials.

I wish you the best of luck getting in off Buffalo's wait list because I wouldn't wish NYU's tuition even on you.

Not saying you haven't faced any hardships, but you literally responded to my post with more excuses, which was exactly the point I was trying to make. Rather than answer to what I said, you said you had a hard time getting the finances together in time and then said you don't care to talk about this any further. Do you notice a pattern?

Where in my previous post did I claim that you didn't finance your own prep materials? I feel like you are basically looking for ways to antagonize me at this point. I explained the reason for my late application and you are still claiming that I'm making excuses. Do you want to speak to my parents who didn't support me when I needed them for further proof now?

The "I dont care about this any further" remark was regarding the topic of discussion at hand, which is the OP getting into dental school with extremely low stats and about affirmative action in general.

end of discussion

Where in my previous post did I claim that you didn't finance your own prep materials? I feel like you are basically looking for ways to antagonize me at this point. I explained the reason for my late application and you are still claiming that I'm making excuses. Do you want to speak to my parents who didn't support me when I needed them for further proof now?

The "I dont care about this any further" remark was regarding the topic of discussion at hand, which is the OP getting into dental school with extremely low stats and about affirmative action in general.

end of discussion
That's exactly the point. Everyone experiences hardships, like falling out with their parents. I believe you. I'm not accusing you of lying, in pointing out that instead of saying "I admit I wasn't a strong enough applicant and didn't submit my DAT on time", you're blaming it on the relationship with your parents. Of course in going to claim you're making excuses. What else would you call that?

Again, I wish you the best of luck getting into Buffalo. I hope you're getting along better with your parents. I hope you have a long and rewarding career. But if you make excuses I'm going to call you out. It's just that simple. I have nothing against you, I just have something against people that name a laundry list of things to blame rather than admitting their shortcomings. For instance, I was rejected from UNC and Harvard, most likely due to my GPA. Was it my professor's fault for making tests too difficult? Was it the DAT for being too difficult? Was it my LOR writers I being late? Was it my relationship with my parents? Was my undergrad not prestigious enough? No. My GPA wa too low because I didn't do what I needed to do to make it higher.

Both of our failures, and everyone else's for that matter, are on us and only us. This is the bigger picture message I'm trying to convey

I disagree with the whole late testing thing , if you get a good score it won't affect you , I took it August 20 and got into plenty of schools anyway

Some schools interview and choose really early. I called up Umich to inquire about my rejection and the lady told me that my application being late was the biggest factor, otherwise my stats were on par with the average of the students they interviewed according to her.

typical SDN melodrama day.

a user of a 2.8 GPA and 17AA telling everyone to take more classes to pull GPA up

an Indian user faced family rejection problem for switching from med to dent. btw, student loans are readily available. living with ur parents for that long you should know well to anticipate how they will respond. I mean you could calculate ahead to take out loan to cover for this expense while you were in school.

my parents stopped supporting me when I switch too but knowing them well enough I took out 6k from undergrad student loan last year and it covered my application cycle.

a user of a 2.8 GPA and 17AA telling everyone to take more classes to pull GPA up

an Indian user faced family rejection problem for switching from med to dent. btw, student loans are readily available. living with ur parents for that long you should know well to anticipate how they will respond. I mean you could calculate ahead to take out loan to cover for this expense while you were in school.

my parents stopped supporting me when I switch too but knowing them well enough I took out 6k from undergrad student loan last year and it covered my application cycle.

can you take out from a federal loan though? I didn't know of this.

Some schools interview and choose really early. I called up Umich to inquire about my rejection and the lady told me that my application being late was the biggest factor, otherwise my stats were on par with the average of the students they interviewed according to her.
Oh I gotcha , although it's silly , as some of the best applicants come later on , at least that's how my school approaches it , everyone gets a fair shot regardless of when their app came in I believe

can you take out from a federal loan though? I didn't know of this.

yes, its part of financial aid package. if your parents make too much, you probably only qualify for unsubsidized federal loans in undergrad (5-6k) thats enough for your application. anyways whats done is done and I understand your frustration

while it is not fair for someone with a 2.8 gpa and 17 DAT to get into dental school, there is no need to berate him for trying to encourage others. i am an ORM (white male) and sometimes feel sad that i need to work harder than my URM competitors. but we don't know the entire facts or his applications. numbers only tell a part of the story, and perhaps at the interview the faculty saw him as someone compassionate and willing to help his neighborhood. so when he tries to help others and encourage, we should all try to do the same.

Sorry about Howard but excited to meet you next fall! ;) Don't let these lowlives get to you.

People tend to stay in their comfort zones:

Lots of ORMs that grew up in suburbia apply to dental school, graduate, and saturate said suburbia with dental practices.

Folks who grew up rural may likely go back and practice rural.

People from major metro areas feel comfortable there and would want to stay in the big city.

I've been in the military for a while, so that's where I would like to practice.

URMs from difficult socioeconomic situations are provided the opportunity to become doctors and they may go back to those communities to serve, alleviating some undeserved areas.

I understand that this is a generalization, but in my opinion I don't think it's too far-fetched.

while it is not fair for someone with a 2.8 gpa and 17 DAT to get into dental school, there is no need to berate him for trying to encourage others. i am an ORM (white male) and sometimes feel sad that i need to work harder than my URM competitors. but we don't know the entire facts or his applications. numbers only tell a part of the story, and perhaps at the interview the faculty saw him as someone compassionate and willing to help his neighborhood. so when he tries to help others and encourage, we should all try to do the same.

Not a minority, but your point still stands haha

since when caucasians are considered a minority to begin with and then to be considered overrepresented minority.
Caucasian is just listed as caucasian.

Sorry But I find your explanation inside the parenthesis for ORM to be extremely funny. I didn't know that many people want to board the minority train to wonderland.

since when caucasians are considered a minority to begin with and then to be considered overrepresented minority.

Sorry But I find your explanation inside the parenthesis for ORM to be extremely funny. I didn't know that many people want to board the minority train to wonderland.
I believe he meant over represented majority (ORM)

Wow so much negativity on these post. Cant wait to meet whoever you are with your hateful words here at Baylor. I am a current DS1 here now and we DO NOT condone such acts or negativity at our school. Please PLEASE i suggest you be careful on here for you never know who you may offend. over 20% of our class are URM (and many professors too) and worked just like everyone did to get here. We are proud of our school to have a place where everyone gets along regardless of their "status" or "race". if you have any questions PM and i can gladly educate you on this topic. Otherwise, hold off on the hostility and DO NOT bring that attitude to our school. Im sure its easy for you to say all this behind a keyboard of course (thats where most cowards feel their opinions matter most.) I will gladly give you my name and see you in August so we can talk about all you have to say. enjoy your summer.

P.S. Im sure if i ask around on who took 3 cycles to get here it'll narrow down who you are on campus :)

What exactly did Advance say that was so negative and offensive? He was just defining the acronym "ORM" as overrepresented minority.

Last edited:
What exactly did Advance say that was so negative and offensive? He was just defining the acronym "ORM" as overrepresented minority.
Lol what is going on right now.

If you want to repay me, claim me as your dependent so that I can get Texas residency and in-state tuition for dental school, and not end up a bajillion dollars in debt ;)

If you want to repay me, claim me as your dependent so that I can get Texas residency and in-state tuition for dental school, and not end up a bajillion dollars in debt ;)
Deal. Does that mean I would be your step-father?

Yes. A very, very young step-father.
Dreams do come true!:soexcited:
Make sure you get accepted to Baylor so I can introduce you to everyone as "Advance Jr."

Lol at the guy who calls someone a coward, then FROM BEHIND A KEYBOARD pretty much says "you and me at the playground, 3 o'clock. I'll bring my bigger friends."
Lol don't worry about it. Not exactly sure how a DS1 attends UTHSCSA and Baylor but, clearly they're confused.

As a first year student at UTHSCSA dental this is FALSE information. please don't go off what you "hear or heard" unless you ask someone that actually goes there. we practice on cadavers first just like Houston because it saves money AND you also have many new modules the school has put in place to practice as close to the real thing as possible before you enter clinical 3rd year.

Also the gym membership for the Gold's on campus is $250 so about ~$20/month. (which is a DEAL) the school ENCOURAGES us to have a balanced lifestyle and to de-stress and exercise while we are in dental school. Many DS1 and other students of classes participate in intramural teams Gold's puts together just for our school. As far as the Laptops go we have all our books, exams, and software installed on them that the school gives us.

LASTLY, UTHSCSA is NOT controlling. I know for our class we have a strict gunner-free zone. Meaning everyone shares everything and wants each other to do well because we are all in this together!

if you have any questions about San Antonio please feel free to ask, I only give the honest truth.

it was a mistake in "semantics" if u will. and im not riding any train to wonderland lol

These schools have a quota for URMs like you, and quite frankly with those horrible stats consider yourself lucky to be even accepted. While it is possible that you can do a masters and aim for a less expensive school next year, save that seat for someone better qualified please.

Also no offense, but with a 3.0 BCP gpa why do you think you'll be competitive for an OMFS residency?

I wonder if residency placement also favors URM and takes social disadvantage into account when you apply?

I wonder if residency placement also favors URM and takes social disadvantage into account when you apply?

I don't care. can we please close this thread? everytime I look at it I begin to lose my temper.

when you apply for residency I believe they require you to state your ethnicity and provide them with a photo of yourself, not sure if this really gives an advantage though.

I don't care. can we please close this thread? everytime I look at it I begin to lose my temper.
Sense of entitlement?

Anyway this thread makes him lose his temper, so it should TOTALLY be closed. He doesn't deserve that. He shouldn't have to be subjected to this.

Sense of entitlement?

Anyway this thread makes him lose his temper, so it should TOTALLY be closed. He doesn't deserve that. He shouldn't have to be subjected to this.
Thread should probably be closed, though. It's been very derailed from "should OP retake the DAT or just go to NYU?"

Status
Not open for further replies.