Should I retake it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rajpatel2001

Reaction score
I got a 506 on my MCAT. 125 C/P, 127 CARS, 128 B/B, 126 P/S. If I wanna go to an allo school should I retake?

Members don't see this ad.

If/when you think you could score 10 points higher on your overall score.
Thanks! I was scoring 127-128 on C/P on P-Exams so I don't know what happened on test day for that and psych I also don't know where I went wrong so I can deff get those up. All the MCAT stuff is still pretty fresh in my head so if I felt confident say in 2 months and take it in late April, is that a decent plan?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I was scoring 127-128 on C/P on P-Exams so I don't know what happened on test day for that and psych I also don't know where I went wrong so I can deff get those up. All the MCAT stuff is still pretty fresh in my head so if I felt confident say in 2 months and take it in late April, is that a decent plan?
Just don't end up like this person

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I agree only retake if you're confident that you can improve your score but as someone who's proud of her 506, took the chance and applied and now I'm in my first year. Don't forgot about the other aspects of your application that'll make you shine as an applicant! Good luck friend

N=1, I took a chance and applied this cycle with the same score and nearly identical distribution, and thankfully got into 1 MD school. Imo, my score held back an otherwise decent application. Was gearing up to retake a couple weeks ago, but stopped after I received my A. (CA ORM LM 61)

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I got a 506 on my MCAT. 125 C/P, 127 CARS, 128 B/B, 126 P/S. If I wanna go to an allo school should I retake?
If you (realistically) think you can improve your score, then yes retake. Otherwise, consider DO programs.

Your MCAT score is one piece to the puzzle. Granted, a large piece. However, if the rest of your application is pretty well off (GPA, experience, etc.), you could put your cards out there and see how you do in the upcoming cycle with both MD and DO applications.

If you’re dead set on a retake due to various reasons or your application is maybe not as strong, then I would begin making a plan for how you would actually improve your score. Two scores at the same range or less, won’t help you.

Last edited:
AAMC: 508 127 C/P|125 CARS|128 B/B|128 P/S
KAPLAN: FL3 505, FL2 502, FL1 497
Was 508 your best AAMC FL or was it the only AAMC FL that you took?

The reason I ask is because it's generally a good idea to take all the AAMC FL's before taking the real MCAT. If you didn't take all the AAMC FL's and/or if you positively believe you can raise your score with a couple months of study, then by all means try again! This time around be sure to work through all the practice resources the AAMC offers, including FLs, QPacks, and the CARS Diagnostic. And remember to review your practice passages -- try to figure out exactly where you went wrong on each question (was there a gap in your content knowledge, were you confused by the passage, etc.). Then once you've diagnosed the issue, take action to fix it (review a concept, decide on a strategy to help you read better, etc). This cycle of "practice-review-practice-review" is ultimately the best way to improve at the MCAT, at least IMO.

Alternatively, if you think that the 506-508 range is pretty predictive of your potential, you could go ahead and apply to MD programs without retaking. That said, if you choose this route, I would definitely make sure to apply to DO schools as well, just to maximize your chances of getting in somewhere.

Of course, this decision also depends on a hundred other non-MCAT factors, factors only you are aware of. So get some advice from family, friends, this forum, and then... go with you gut. There probably is no "right" answer here, so just view your decision and its outcomes as learning process.

Good luck!

Diversity is a major factor.

Last edited:
  • Dislike