Should I retake MCAT or nah?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tacoshellman

Reaction score
MCAT: 511: 128-124-132-127 (one attempt only)
GPA: 3.95 cGPA (sGPA 3.9+)

Heart is set on MD, don't really want to apply DO

Members don't see this ad.

depends on how much risk you want to take. If you want to play it safe, you should retake and get ~515 or above

Reactions: 1 user
Im confused... if I want to play it safe, I should retake?

is a 511 not safe? isn't it average MD MCAT?

I mean, the lower the mcat, the lower the odds of you being accepted. I believe that a 511 is on the lower side. I presume that state schools bring down the National average, but not 100% sure.

So if you apply w a 511, you have a lower chance of getting accepted than if you had a 515. If you think you could raise that score, then I’d do it

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, the lower the mcat, the lower the odds of you being accepted. I believe that a 511 is on the lower side. I presume that state schools bring down the National average, but not 100% sure.

So if you apply w a 511, you have a lower chance of getting accepted than if you had a 515. If you think you could raise that score, then I’d do it

Disagree. 512 is the median for matriculants.

Reactions: 3 users
MCAT: 511: 128-124-132-127 (one attempt only)
GPA: 3.95 cGPA (sGPA 3.9+)

Heart is set on MD, don't really want to apply DO

Depends on your risk tolerance. You could probably find a nice collection of MD schools with those numbers if the rest of your resume is solid and without red flags. If you must go to a Top 10 school you might have to retake or blow away with the rest of your resume. Keep in mind you can do the same or worse on a retake, and that is a tough pill to swallow.

You should be fine though.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Depends on your risk tolerance. You could probably find a nice collection of MD schools with those numbers if the rest of your resume is solid and without red flags. If you must go to a Top 10 school you might have to retake or blow away with the rest of your resume. Keep in mind you can do the same or worse on a retake, and that is a tough pill to swallow.

You should be fine though.

Med School Tutors
Appreciate the advice David!! I'll probably apply to a few T10s just because why not hahah... but yeah I'm really aiming for like a T50, I have a few dream schools in mind which mostly fall in like the 30-50 range.

Appreciate the advice David!! I'll probably apply to a few T10s just because why not hahah... but yeah I'm really aiming for like a T50, I have a few dream schools in mind which mostly fall in like the 30-50 range.
The question is, which of those schools have medians below 511, and what in your application (other than your GPA) is so extraordinary as to compensate for your being below the median?? If the answer is none and nothing, that's going to be an issue! :) I really think successful applicants with stats below the median for a given school have to have really outstanding ECs, etc., as compared to the merely outstanding ones all successful candidates have.

The question is, which of those schools have medians below 511, and what in your application (other than your GPA) is so extraordinary as to compensate for your being below the median?? If the answer is none and nothing, that's going to be an issue! :) I really think successful applicants with stats below the median for a given school have to have really outstanding ECs, etc., as compared to the merely outstanding ones all successful candidates have.
I'm in the inter-quartile range (25-75th percentile) for most of the T30-T50 schools, and paired with a phenomenal GPA, I should be good (I think my ECs are solid)

but yeah I agree with you, as long as your stats are fairly competitive, then it's more about ECs at that point to distinguish you from other applicants

My LM is like 72 I think, so I'm in a pretty competitive area, but I totally agree that now I have to do more than just this if I really want to be a good applicant. Appreciate it dude!

if you dont mind me asking are you posting this thread cause you havent gotten any MD interview invites yet? I have a 511 128/124/130/129 and a 3.86 with average EC and havent gotten one interview invite yet from MD schools. Debating if I should retake too at this point. :(

What is your state of residence? This matters a lot because if it is Mississippi, then you’ll be fine since their median MCAT is like a 505. But if it is California, Massachusetts, etc where schools tend to be pretty competitive, then you are on the lower end for sure- especially if you are ORM. That gpa is nice, but that 124 in CARS will be hard to overcome at top 30-50 schools. That’s a whole separate problem. Schools may look at you and say, “he had months to study and couldn’t score higher than a 124 on CARS”? Once again the 132 in BB is nice, but you can’t be too cocky. A 511 is good if you are URM or in a non-competitive state. It is below average if you are ORM or in a competitive state. Don’t underestimate how competitive this process is. I would try a cycle, but if you don’t get in, I would definitely try retaking the MCAT. That being said, plenty of DO schools are reputable and match well. I think anyone with a sub-515 MCAT score or sub-3.7 gpa should apply DO because that is a true “safety” school for you.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm in the inter-quartile range (25-75th percentile) for most of the T30-T50 schools, and paired with a phenomenal GPA, I should be good (I think my ECs are solid)

but yeah I agree with you, as long as your stats are fairly competitive, then it's more about ECs at that point to distinguish you from other applicants

My LM is like 72 I think, so I'm in a pretty competitive area, but I totally agree that now I have to do more than just this if I really want to be a good applicant. Appreciate it dude!
The standard advice is not to retake a decent score, but your score is just borderline decent and your GPA is so off the charts that I can't help but wonder whether that advice should apply to you, Was there any deficiency in your MCAT prep that you could address on a retake, or is it all about CARS, and is there no fixing it? By the way, the 124 might cause you to be auto screened out at some schools.

If it were me, and I thought I had a reasonable shot at a 515 or better, I'd try a retake with a 3.9+.

if you dont mind me asking are you posting this thread cause you havent gotten any MD interview invites yet? I have a 511 128/124/130/129 and a 3.86 with average EC and havent gotten one interview invite yet from MD schools. Debating if I should retake too at this point. :(
No I'm not applying this cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your state of residence? This matters a lot because if it is Mississippi, then you’ll be fine since their median MCAT is like a 505. But if it is California, Massachusetts, etc where schools tend to be pretty competitive, then you are on the lower end for sure- especially if you are ORM. That gpa is nice, but that 124 in CARS will be hard to overcome at top 30-50 schools. That’s a whole separate problem. Schools may look at you and say, “he had months to study and couldn’t score higher than a 124 on CARS”? Once again the 132 in BB is nice, but you can’t be too cocky. A 511 is good if you are URM or in a non-competitive state. It is below average if you are ORM or in a competitive state. Don’t underestimate how competitive this process is. I would try a cycle, but if you don’t get in, I would definitely try retaking the MCAT. That being said, plenty of DO schools are reputable and match well. I think anyone with a sub-515 MCAT score or sub-3.7 gpa should apply DO because that is a true “safety” school for you.
Hey thanks! I won't get too cocky with the 132 BB haha don't worry... I have like 84th percentile MCAT and solid GPA... I'm trying to focus on ECs a ton now.... I think my stats are good

The standard advice is not to retake a decent score, but your score is just borderline decent and your GPA is so off the charts that I can't help but wonder whether that advice should apply to you, Was there any deficiency in your MCAT prep that you could address on a retake, or is it all about CARS, and is there no fixing it? By the way, the 124 might cause you to be auto screened out at some schools.

If it were me, and I thought I had a reasonable shot at a 515 or better, I'd try a retake with a 3.9+.
Nah no deficiency in MCAT prep... just CARS... I'm not a reader hahaha. averaged 129 on sciences, not sure if I can replicate that lol... so I'l run with it

A few things.

Actually, your LizzyM is 70.4. With your GPA, a LM 72 would be closer to a 513-14. If you look in the threads regarding people without II, many of them fall in that same LM range.

Now to the next point, define "fairly competitive".

Your MCAT score doesn't fall in the IQR for most private schools in the 30-50 range. It does for OOS publics, but they often have bad chances for OOS (e.g. UAB interviews 175/4000 OOS vs~40% of IS). They aren't realistic targets for most people, unless you have very high stats, ties to the state, or something phenomenal on your app.

For most people I know, myself included, who are ORM, "fairly competitive" means MCAT and GPA at or above the school's medians.

Stats matter. A lot. They're not just a "once you get in a certain range, it's all your app". If you don't believe me, I've talked to admission committee members during the cycle.

If you're aiming for a T50 as an ORM, I wouldn't expect a lot of success with a 511, unless your EC's are well above average.

On the lower end of the IQR (~25-35th percentile), you really need something to stand out. There will be at many of the schools you apply to, thousands of applicants with similar or higher stats. Many of them will also have research, service, clinical experience, etc.

"Solid" may not be good enough. If you don't have a hook (athlete, URM, research fellowship, unique experience that no one else is going to have, etc.), at schools with 8000 plus applications, it's not easy to just stand out. Especially if you're on the lower end statistically.

I don't say any of this to be mean, but to give you a realistic idea of what to expect and so that you don't feel disappointed later if it doesn't work out. I've seen plenty of people with LM 70-71 not get any interviews, or get a few interviews and not receive acceptances.

If you do retake and score a 514-515, you would be far more competitive for the T50 with your GPA.

A few things.

Actually, your LizzyM is 70.4. With your GPA, a LM 72 would be closer to a 513-14. If you look in the threads regarding people without II, many of them fall in that same LM range.

Your MCAT score doesn't fall in the IQR for most private schools in the 30-50 range. It does for OOS publics, but they often have bad chances for OOS (e.g. UAB interviews 175/4000 OOS vs~40% of IS). They aren't realistic targets for most people, unless you have very high stats, ties to the state, or something phenomenal on your app.

For most people I know, myself included, who are ORM, "fairly competitive" means MCAT and GPA at or above the school's medians.

Stats matter. A lot. They're not just a "once you get in a certain range, it's all your app". If you don't believe me, I've talked to admission committee members during the cycle.

If you're aiming for a T50 as an ORM, I wouldn't expect a lot of success with a 511, unless your EC's are well above average.

"Solid" may not be good enough. If you don't have a hook (athlete, URM, research fellowship, unique experience that no one else is going to have, etc.), at schools with 8000 plus applications, it's not easy to just stand out. Especially if you're on the lower end statistically.

If you do retake and score a 514-515, you would be far more competitive for the T50 with your GPA.

Would you recommend someone with a 511 (126,126, 129, 130)/URM (Mexican, from California, Spanish as First Language) to retake the MCAT, seeing EC are fairly well (publications/Fulbright)? Applying next cycle!

Dude lmao OP should NOT retake a 511. Absolutely not-he/she runs the risk of a score drop. Just take the 511 and run with it it is good enough unless you want top tier like Harvard Stanford type schools

All you premeds are brainwashed by SDN. No one should be retaking a 511 mcat who isnt applying to top tier schools. if you also have above a 3.7 applied broadly and didnt get in anywhere you need interview practice, need to improve your ECs or work on your PS

Reactions: 3 users
^^^, thank you! idk why he was saying 511 is on the lower side? 511.4 is literally the median hahah

idk what exactly the avg is. When I was looking around Msar, it seemed like state schools generally have lower averages than private schools, so they might bring down the national average.

OP can surely apply w a 511. It’s not a bad score whatsoever. But if your not getting interviews come winter, you may regret not having retook the exam. I had similar stats and great ECs first time I applied and people in person and on sdn said I had a good shot if I applied broadly. Didn’t get a single interview. Just my 2 cents

also, yeah true what the other dude said about the score drop risk

Last edited:

Hey, shoot your shot! The application cycle is weird. I got no love from Cooper in Camden as a Jersey native but got an interview to Dartmouth. Nobody knows why things happen.

That being said, what is your motivation for wanting T10/50? Not that it is bad at all to aim high, but do you want a competitive specialty or big research apparatus? If so, then you are doing it for the right reason. Do you think that a T50 will give you a better education? That is not evidence based. Heart block at Harvard is heart block at your local state school.

As an ER resident, the only time anyone asks me what med school I went to is to make conversation. Nobody cares that I went to a state school in Florida.

Med School Tutors

A few things.

On the lower end of the IQR (~25-35th percentile), you really need something to stand out. There will be at many of the schools you apply to, thousands of applicants with similar or higher stats. Many of them will also have research, service, clinical experience, etc.

I don't say any of this to be mean, but to give you a realistic idea of what to expect and so that you don't feel disappointed later if it doesn't work out. I've seen plenty of people with LM 70-71 not get any interviews, or get a few interviews and not receive acceptances.

clinical hours: 800
nonclinical: 200

clinical hours: 800
nonclinical: 200

Again nothing wrong with those hours, but nothing special about that either. I worked 1500 hours at my clinical job before applying, but it certainly isn’t why I got interviews.

Like I said, either consider retaking or be ready to aim a bit lower.

Have you shown initiative? Have you published? Have you taken on a substantial leadership role or founded an organization? Have you received a prestigious fellowship. Again, I don’t see how those hours make you “stand out”.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Again nothing wrong with those hours, but nothing special about that either. I worked 1500 hours at my clinical job before applying, but it certainly isn’t why I got interviews.

Have you shown initiative? Have you published? Have you taken on a substantial leadership role or founded an organization? Have you received a prestigious fellowship. Again, I don’t see how those hours make you “stand out”.
these were all volunteer hours, not paid jobs.

and yeah I see what ur getting at for sure bro

but also... I have 3 pubs from my clinical research lab, would that help a lot?

these were all volunteer hours, not paid jobs.

and yeah I see what ur getting at for sure bro

but also... I have 3 pubs from my clinical research lab, would that help a lot?

It will make you stand out more for research oriented schools, but those tend to be higher stat. Whether or not you want to apply to and receive acceptances to these schools depends on how much you’re willing to consider a retake.

100% depends on what you want though and what you’re aiming for. Good luck!

Thank you so much for posting. I have been in such a funk (depression?) over my application. I have a 516 (132/122/132/130) and 3.54 with average ECs and I have yet to sniff an interview as well. I know my GPA is on the low side, but I thought at least one school would send some love. I really don't want to repeat and risk going down in my sciences. But I know CARS is killing me. My GPA could break 3.6 by next application cycle, but I just don't know how to raise my CARS score.

I would vote no to retaking it; I am a reapplicant with success this cycle. My first cycle I applied with a 510 MCAT and 3.77 GPA but very average EC. I took 2 gap years (currently in my second gap year) and retook the MCAT secondary to my first attempt being kind of out dated (would have been about 2 years old at the time of application), I prepared well but was nervous about a potential score drop (I’m a good test taker but cmon you’re competing with super smart people across the entire country) and I ended up with a 511. Anyways throughout this whole process I really believe the application cycle is holistic; there is not one defining feature of an application that committee’s look for, it’s the whole package. I would definitely work on the EC and personal statement/secondaries rather than worry about retaking the MCAT. I feel the increase in depth of my ECs helped me this cycle. If you have any questions lmk!

Edit: I got a 131 CP my first attempt and got a 128 CP on my second attempt; so no sub score is guaranteed on future retakes (obviously, but you understand my point)

Last edited:

You have a solid MCAT but some schools might be screening you out because of CARS.

Walter is that you?

• Haha
New Years was my deadline and while I'm going to do everything I can to make this application cycle work out, I cannot make anyone give me an interview. So it's time to initiate my backup plan.

I think I have to take the MCAT again and I am afraid I will go down in my three science scores. Despite being a huge advocate of self study and how well it worked for me the first time, I've decided to take an MCAT class this time. I spent around $1700 on self study last time and do not cherish dropping another $2000 for a class. But I'm biting the bullet and signing up tomorrow. Wish me luck,

New Years was my deadline and while I'm going to do everything I can to make this application cycle work out, I cannot make anyone give me an interview. So it's time to initiate my backup plan.

I think I have to take the MCAT again and I am afraid I will go down in my three science scores. Despite being a huge advocate of self study and how well it worked for me the first time, I've decided to take an MCAT class this time. I spent around $1700 on self study last time and do not cherish dropping another $2000 for a class. But I'm biting the bullet and signing up tomorrow. Wish me luck,
Good luck!!! I'm so sorry to hear this. I found your posts very helpful in deciding on how to attack the MCAT, and, as you know, your score is off the charts excellent other than CARS. Why do you think $2,000 and the structure of a class is going to help with CARS? Do they have tricks the Internet doesn't know about?

I was under the impression that a class was useful for someone lacking the discipline to stick to a self study regime, but otherwise useless or even counterproductive, since the structure of a class will force you to waste time on review you don't need, since it teaches to the class as a whole, not each student individually.

I would seek out the advice of the wise adcoms in a separate thread before I dropped the $2K. I'd hate to see you go through this, get your 125 in CARS while you score basically stays the same, and have you find you have the same issues due to your GPA and ECs in the next cycle. Why not see what they say before going forward? Also, I really think you could hit your CARS number with more practice without a course, since you've already proven you have the ability to master the test without one.

Good luck!!! I'm so sorry to hear this. I found your posts very helpful in deciding on how to attack the MCAT, and, as you know, your score is off the charts excellent other than CARS. Why do you think $2,000 and the structure of a class is going to help with CARS? Do they have tricks the Internet doesn't know about?

I was under the impression that a class was useful for someone lacking the discipline to stick to a self study regime, but otherwise useless or even counterproductive, since the structure of a class will force you to waste time on review you don't need, since it teaches to the class as a whole, not each student individually.

I would seek out the advice of the wise adcoms in a separate thread before I dropped the $2K. I'd hate to see you go through this, get your 125 in CARS while you score basically stays the same, and have you find you have the same issues due to your GPA and ECs in the next cycle. Why not see what they say before going forward? Also, I really think you could hit your CARS number with more practice without a course, since you've already proven you have the ability to master the test without one.

yeah maybe a CARS specific class like Jack Westin or Testing Solutions might be better

Thanks for your good luck wish, I'll need it. I don't know if I'm overreacting, but I'm super worried I might go down in the three sections I did well in. I'm hoping I can go up 4 points in CARS but am scared I'll drop more than 4 total in the other sections. The first time I took the MCAT I had literally just finished physics and orgo, so they were fresh in my head. I'm hoping a class will help bring that back faster.

I was worried about exactly what you're saying that a class will drag on with too much of the basics. I felt a whole lot better about my class when I learned that they have videos for the basics that they ask everyone to watch before certain classes so that the teacher can go into more applications in the classes themselves. I actually sat in on two lectures back before I took the MCAT the first time and if it wasn't for the weekday commute, I would have taken it. I think (and pray) this was good choice. I start class this Friday, so I'll let you know how it is.

I did get a PM from an advisor here and I spoke to my mentor, and both suggested that a class could be useful. Also, and this was a cool surprise, I got $100 off through my volunteer experience and another $280 off because I bought the books already. It's still a lot of money but I'm closer to $1500 now than $2000. I'm worried about the problem being my GPA too, but all I can do is get it above 3.6 by June and improve my CARS and pray for better luck. In an ideal world I'll get invited for an interview and not have to worry about any of this. Maybe I'm justifying a little here, but with how much I spent preparing last time and how much the application costs, taking a class with the author of the books I recommend and getting application assistance on top of the class is worth $1700.

yeah maybe a CARS specific class like Jack Westin or Testing Solutions might be better

I'm still considering that. I want to see how my class goes for now and see if their CARS one-on-one helps me. If I'm not improving with this class, then I'll take JW.

Thanks for your good luck wish, I'll need it. I don't know if I'm overreacting, but I'm super worried I might go down in the three sections I did well in. I'm hoping I can go up 4 points in CARS but am scared I'll drop more than 4 total in the other sections. The first time I took the MCAT I had literally just finished physics and orgo, so they were fresh in my head. I'm hoping a class will help bring that back faster.

I was worried about exactly what you're saying that a class will drag on with too much of the basics. I felt a whole lot better about my class when I learned that they have videos for the basics that they ask everyone to watch before certain classes so that the teacher can go into more applications in the classes themselves. I actually sat in on two lectures back before I took the MCAT the first time and if it wasn't for the weekday commute, I would have taken it. I think (and pray) this was good choice. I start class this Friday, so I'll let you know how it is.

I did get a PM from an advisor here and I spoke to my mentor, and both suggested that a class could be useful. Also, and this was a cool surprise, I got $100 off through my volunteer experience and another $280 off because I bought the books already. It's still a lot of money but I'm closer to $1500 now than $2000. I'm worried about the problem being my GPA too, but all I can do is get it above 3.6 by June and improve my CARS and pray for better luck. In an ideal world I'll get invited for an interview and not have to worry about any of this. Maybe I'm justifying a little here, but with how much I spent preparing last time and how much the application costs, taking a class with the author of the books I recommend and getting application assistance on top of the class is worth $1700.
It sounds like you know what you are doing, and you don't need to justify anything. I agree that $2K, or $1,500, is a drop in the bucket in the scheme of things, so if you think it will help even a little bit, it's worth it. I'm rooting for you!! :)