should I retake my calculus classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ricklee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I transferred to UC from community college last summer, and I am going to graduate in two quarters.
I have a low community college, 3.02 for 112 Units. I have an F and a D on my calculus II and calculus III class. Both were retaken in community college and got B. I also have a C in physics for engineer major. Then I retook a year physics for bio major, ended up with A in first half and B in second half. Besides those, I have a C in college writing (second half for one year requirement); and a C in linear algebra. All poor grades are from my community college, most of them were before I consider medical school.
Currently I have 3.92 UC gpa with only one B+ and two A-. Straight A for o-chem and lower division bio classes. Hopefully I can graduate from UC with 3.9+ GPA. But I will still have 3.3-3.4 overall gpa and science GPA.

I have very solid research. One co-author on Nature, another (second or third author) on molecular cancer (going to submit soon). Volunteer and EC are also ok.
My question is, should I retake calculus and writing class in my UC's summer school? I plan to go to SMP as well, but there is no way to prove my ability in math class and writing.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're willing to do DO then yes I'd retake. MD will only average your retakes so your GPA will still be low.

I will apply both MD and DO, but my point is should I retake those math and writing course to prove my math and writing ability? I know my gpa will still be the same, I just want to show my ability in those courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well no offense, but with all those bad grades even if you retook it and got an A you probably won't seem to have a good math and writing ability. To get an F and a D in two different math classes shows that you aren't too good at math; anybody given enough retakes can get an A eventually.

However, I am not an adcom so don't take my word as gospel.

Well no offense, but with all those bad grades even if you retook it and got an A you probably won't seem to have a good math and writing ability. To get an F and a D in two different math classes shows that you aren't too good at math; anybody given enough retakes can get an A eventually.

However, I am not an adcom so don't take my word as gospel.

This post is fairly true, bad performance never really goes away. That always causes concern, and I think you should retake. That will help your GPA and also it will prove your ability. Otherwise, some schools make you fill in your pre-requisite grades on secondaries and the more As the better IMHO