Medical Should I Retake My Classes or Apply for a SMP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All.
So I decided that I want to go to med schools months after finishing my undergrad degree in neuroscience. I got a 3.2 as my cumulative and a 3.0 in science. I got a C- in both orgs, C+ in both chems and a C in Physics 1 and I never took Biochem.. I am being told to either do a formal post bacc (Chem, Orgo, Physics, and Biochem) of my under grad classes or a SMP (which I feel like I would be rejected from considering some of my low science grades. And I also feel like I have to remediate those grades for myself so I can do well on the MCAT. I have been told if I get a 3.7 and above when I retake all these classes again, I should be fine. I will be applying to DO schools when I do apply.
Bio 1/2: B+/B+
Chem 1/2: C+/C+
Orgo1/2: C-/C-
Physics 1: C
Upper Levels:
Microbio: A-
Anatomy 1/2: B-
I think you are on the right track. Take a year or so to retake all the courses you did poorly in and have at least a year of amazing grades to show you have changed and can handle the courses.

You also are going to need the knowledge from these courses for the MCAT which you also need to do well on.

Take this process seriously as a few low grades and/or a low MCAT could be the end of your chances. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I recommend definitely retaking the ones where you got C- or below since you can not get into medical school with those. That being said, if you're going to do a formal post bacc over the course of 2 years, they may want you to retake those, and if the linkage to a medical school is good, I would do whatever they want you to do course-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.