Should I retake my MCAT - 510 (127/124/128/131)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bzzz813

Reaction score
Ok so exactly like the title sounds… wondering if I should retake my MCAT.

For context, I got a 510 (127/124/128/131) in May, so not a bad score AT ALL. In fact, I’m actually pretty proud of it. There are a few reasons I’m considering a retake:
1. I’m from Florida and a lot of public schools here average around a 515 to matriculate.
2. 510 is the lowest I got on any of the AAMC full lengths with 515 being the highest. I’m pretty sure I was averaging around a 513?
3. The 124 for my CARS is making me REALLY nervous. I just really do not want to have to pay OOS tuition if I don’t have to.
4. My subsection scores were all lower than I got on any of the full lengths, not by a significant point difference but enough to make a difference on my overall score, with the exception of P/S (don’t ask me how i got that 131, I didn’t get above a 128 on any of the AAMC FLs lol). On the other hand, my CARS was way lower, I got a 129 on every FL minus one which I got a 127 I think.
5. I genuinely feel like the last month I really figured out how to study for the MCAT & I feel that if I study that way for 3-4 months I can significantly improve my overall score, but I might just be cocky… idk. I do credit my P/S score to that change in study habits during that last month though.
6. Research is important to me, and if I have the choice I would like to go to a research heavy institution, which usually have higher average MCAT score matriculants.

There are a couple considerations here. When I took my MCAT I was doing way too much & not focusing on it the way I should have been (which is why I’m surprised I even banged out a 510 lol). I was working 25 hours a week, doing research for 10-15 hours a week, and taking a full course load (15 credit hours & got a 4.0 yay!) I was also going out a good chunk of time. I also think that because I gave myself 6 months to study I didn’t actually take it seriously until maybe the last 2 or so months.

Here’s where it gets tricky though, this upcoming semester I will again be working about 15-20 hours a week and doing 10 hours of research a week. I am only taking 2 classes though. If I were to retake, my goal would be a 515+, which I think is doable if I can increase my C/P & obviously my CARS score. So, what are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

The general rule is that you should not repeat unless you are confident you will see a three-point increase. That doesn't fit every situation, but it seems to fit here.

Your situation is one that is very familiar to me (from TBR). We saw plenty of 128-129 in C/P and 127-128 in B/B coupled with 123-124 in CARS and who knows what in P/S when we ran a class. Over the years, countless students (literally thousands) using our books got your CARS score or lower, and many of them got in somewhere (buoyed by their C/P score or maybe B/B score). But as you accurately say, they didn't get into their affordable state school.

First make sure that MSAR is your source when considering the matriculation scores for your state schools. 515 is an amazingly high score for a state school, higher than some top twenty schools in fact. Make sure you have solid information and if possible, try to find out what your age, gender, and ethnicity averages are (hard to find that data, but possible).

If it ends up that you really are in a situation where all of your state schools have matriculation numbers on par with Harvard, UCSF, etc..., then you have to repeat the exam and make sure you get at least 126 in CARS. If you can do that with CARS, it seems like your chances go up substantially. I have seen a notable number students change their CARS approach and improve from the 122, 123, or 124. Granted, they got their first score using our books and you likely used something else, but it's still doable.

The general rule is that you should not repeat unless you are confident you will see a three-point increase. That doesn't fit every situation, but it seems to fit here.

Your situation is one that is very familiar to me (from TBR). We saw plenty of 128-129 in C/P and 127-128 in B/B coupled with 123-124 in CARS and who knows what in P/S when we ran a class. Over the years, countless students (literally thousands) using our books got your CARS score or lower, and many of them got in somewhere (buoyed by their C/P score or maybe B/B score). But as you accurately say, they didn't get into their affordable state school.

First make sure that MSAR is your source when considering the matriculation scores for your state schools. 515 is an amazingly high score for a state school, higher than some top twenty schools in fact. Make sure you have solid information and if possible, try to find out what your age, gender, and ethnicity averages are (hard to find that data, but possible).

If it ends up that you really are in a situation where all of your state schools have matriculation numbers on par with Harvard, UCSF, etc..., then you have to repeat the exam and make sure you get at least 126 in CARS. If you can do that with CARS, it seems like your chances go up substantially. I have seen a notable number students change their CARS approach and improve from the 122, 123, or 124. Granted, they got their first score using our books and you likely used something else, but it's still doable.
Hi! Thank you for your response, it's super helpful & I really appreciate your input!

As for the high state school averages, unfortunately yes, those medians are from MSAR :( In my post, I was specifically referencing UF, UCF, & USF in Florida which all list their medians +/- a few points from that 515 I mentioned, hence the impulsive retake considerations. At this current moment in time, I feel as though my application itself is pretty strong, I have a solid GPA and have worked really hard on my extracurriculars. Because of that, I just do not want to close any doors due to an exam score, just sucks that I felt as though I already got a pretty solid score but it is what it is!

I really appreciate your take on trying to shoot for a 126 on CARS, I definitely think that is a very achievable goal. Again, thank you so much for your response, your kindness & suggestions are greatly appreciated!