Should I retake the ACT for BS/MD/DO programs?

Xelb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'll admit I'm not all that familiar with these programs, but if you don't think that you'll be able to improve on your score, then there's no point taking the ACT again, right? I would go ahead and apply to those programs that you are interested in and have a shot at getting into (maybe a pie-in-the-sky school or two as well), and additionally I would apply to some universities just aiming for a 4 year BS in something. You can always apply to medschool after 4 years of undergrad, and the ACT will have nothing to do with your application then. One benefit of the latter is that you have four more years to decide whether this path is the right one for you. That's four more years of shadowing physicians, volunteering at hospitals, research, exploring other options etc. Going the traditional route is by no means putting you at a disadvantage.

According to the MSAR, most bs/md programs require an ACT of 30.... some of them even require a 34 act. And even if you have the ACT score, there are rigorous course requirements that you have to meet.