Should I Retake the GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringDoctor9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hihi guys,

I just took my GRE today, and I'm a bit worried about my score. I got 490V, 740M. Is the 490 too low for MPH (I was hoping for 500)? Should I retake? Lemme know what you think.

Members don't see this ad.

AspiringDoctor9 said:
Hihi guys,

I just took my GRE today, and I'm a bit worried about my score. I got 490V, 740M. Is the 490 too low for MPH (I was hoping for 500)? Should I retake? Lemme know what you think.

hello
most univs state that 1000+ is needed score.
Only some places need scores in verbal above 500.
So u can go thro the places ur planning 2 apply n see the univ reqs.
I personally feel that ur scores not all that bad 2 retake it.
Univs also see overall credentials not just GRE u see.
Bye

Doesn't the GRE have 3 sections? or did I just take it a really long time ago?

Members don't see this ad :)
brownman24 said:
Doesn't the GRE have 3 sections? or did I just take it a really long time ago?

Hihi,

Yes, it does have 3 sections, but nowadays the 3rd section is a writing section that takes 2 weeks to be graded - so I don't know what my score is on that yet. I'm pretty sure it'll be pretty high though...

AspiringDoc,

You're quant score is absolutely amazing, but I will be honest, I think that you should aim to at least get the verbal above a 500 (with your quant, maybe you'd want to aim for a 550, which is totally achievable with a little elbow grease :) ). I know that some people have gotten in with less than that, and MPH admissions aren't all about scores and rely on a total package. However, even with a stellar application, I would still take the exam again, just to get the verbal score up. Even if your quant goes down, I think that most schools would either average the scores out or take the higher of your exam scores. This is just MHO, and I'd generally take what people say with a grain of salt. However, just to be sure, I'd contact the schools you're planning on applying to and ask them directly about the scores and your chances of acceptance. If it doesn't matter, then don't bother to retake. However, I think that some places will advise you to get that verbal up.

Best,
H&T

Heal&Teach said:
AspiringDoc,

You're quant score is absolutely amazing, but I will be honest, I think that you should aim to at least get the verbal above a 500 (with your quant, maybe you'd want to aim for a 550, which is totally achievable with a little elbow grease :) ). I know that some people have gotten in with less than that, and MPH admissions aren't all about scores and rely on a total package. However, even with a stellar application, I would still take the exam again, just to get the verbal score up. Even if your quant goes down, I think that most schools would either average the scores out or take the higher of your exam scores. This is just MHO, and I'd generally take what people say with a grain of salt. However, just to be sure, I'd contact the schools you're planning on applying to and ask them directly about the scores and your chances of acceptance. If it doesn't matter, then don't bother to retake. However, I think that some places will advise you to get that verbal up.

Best,
H&T

Hihi H&T!

When you say the total package, you mean LoRs, GPA, work experience, etc? I'm honestly hoping me GPA will help me out a bit (GPA - 3.6), and I do have 2.5 years work experience in a public-health related area. Do you think that will be enough? I'm not too picky about schools - as long as I get into at least one of the ones I'm applying to, I'll be happy. I asked the schools I'm applying to about my GRE, and they said exactly that - there is no minimum GRE and they look at everything. I'm wondering if I should take that with a grain of salt too... what do you think?

Hi AspiringDoc!

I would still take what some schools say with a grain of salt, but the decision to retake the exam is ultimately up to you. The "total package" that you referred to is exactly what I meant - GREs, GPA, and experience. It sounds like you've got a great resume, but I would still consider trying to get that verbal score up. Again, take any advice with a grain of salt, do what feels right for YOU.

H&T

Heal&Teach said:
Hi AspiringDoc!

I would still take what some schools say with a grain of salt, but the decision to retake the exam is ultimately up to you. The "total package" that you referred to is exactly what I meant - GREs, GPA, and experience. It sounds like you've got a great resume, but I would still consider trying to get that verbal score up. Again, take any advice with a grain of salt, do what feels right for YOU.

H&T
hey...heal and teach...
I got 540 v and 650 q........and plan to apply for spring for MPH.........i have a GPA of 3.85.......what do ya think ????
see ay

meetlife,

My apologies for not returning your PMs - the first few weeks of med school has been very busy, as I'm sure that you can understand. Your stats sound pretty good. Is English your second language? If so, the verbal score over 500 puts you in a pretty safe range. However, just as I told AD, take people's opinions with a grain of salt. Contact the schools that you'll be applying to, talk to the admissions folks, and have them tell you whether your stats are sufficient for entry (which I'd assume are A-okay). :)

Best,
H&T

Heal&Teach said:
meetlife,

My apologies for not returning your PMs - the first few weeks of med school has been very busy, as I'm sure that you can understand. Your stats sound pretty good. Is English your second language? If so, the verbal score over 500 puts you in a pretty safe range. However, just as I told AD, take people's opinions with a grain of salt. Contact the schools that you'll be applying to, talk to the admissions folks, and have them tell you whether your stats are sufficient for entry (which I'd assume are A-okay). :)

Best,
H&T
hi..thanks a lot for reply...hmmnnn PMs......never mind........
see ya