Quantcast

MD & DO Should I retake the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knightdoc2022

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I just got my MCAT score today, and was not entirely pleased with it.

Overall: 507
Breakdown: 123/127/130/128

After the test I definitely had a feeling physical sciences went poorly...and it really bothered me because I felt like a lot of the questions were nothing like AAMC practice material. excuses aside, it really did shock me, seeing as my FL 1 was a 513 and my FL2 was a 512, and my other sections stayed true to my FL scores.

Current stats:
undergrad cGPA: 3.2
undergrad sGPA: 3.0
Master's GPA: 3.9
MCAT: 507

Extracurriculars:
100 medical volunteering hours
200 non medical volunteering hours
EMT certification/EMT full time job this upcoming year (so over 1,000 patient contact hours during my gap year)
200 hours shadowing (family practice, ortho, ER)
President of my fraternity
community service director of my fraternity
60-75 hours of research
I'm an URM also, idk if that helps much or not.

My ultimate goal is to end up at UCF (I did my undergraduate there). I am completely open to DO and out of state MD/DO too, but I would love to end up at UCF.

Waiting a year is not an option, and I will go DO if that's what it takes to get in this cycle.

My main concern is with my MCAT being below the median for UCF (510), should I retake it in August, or is the risk too high seeing as it's only 1 section that brought my score down.

Last edited:

Faha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Your chances for a MD acceptance are low, not because of your MCAT but rather your low GPA. You could receive an interview or two at your Florida MD schools but concentrate on a DO application and apply broadly to at least 15 DO schools and include many of the newer schools.

Toutie

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Your MCAT is okay. Your GPA would hurt you more than your MCAT. What URM are you? If you apply both MD and DO, you should be okay with that MCAT and GPA.

knightdoc2022

Reaction score
Your MCAT is okay. Your GPA would hurt you more than your MCAT. What URM are you? If you apply both MD and DO, you should be okay with that MCAT and GPA.

I'm Mexican-American. Also my master's is an SMP at USF specifically because of my GPA in undergrad. The actual Master's is the Master's in Medical Sciences.

I have also decided to retake the MCAT August 11th, so i'm not sure how that will affect anything.

Faha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
You are competitive for many DO schools so apply to at least 15 and you should receive interviews. For MD you could add schools such as GW, Georgetown, NYMC, Creighton, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin.