Should I retake the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothless rufus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Ok, so I got a 28P (10V 9BS 9PS) the first time I took the MCAT last year, and was entertaining the idea of retaking the MCAT for this application cycle in August. I can probably do a little better, but I really don't want to go through the whole intense studying, as I work full-time and will be doing about 25hrs of research a week over the summer. I feel a little guilty not doing everything that I absolutely can to improve my app this cycle, but my heart is just not in it, and time is an issue. I would also rather devote the $210 to applying to more schools. I am applying to only DO. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

toothless rufus said:
Hello! Ok, so I got a 28P (10V 9BS 9PS) the first time I took the MCAT last year, and was entertaining the idea of retaking the MCAT for this application cycle in August. I can probably do a little better, but I really don't want to go through the whole intense studying, as I work full-time and will be doing about 25hrs of research a week over the summer. I feel a little guilty not doing everything that I absolutely can to improve my app this cycle, but my heart is just not in it, and time is an issue. Thanks!
For starters, you got the magic 8 or better in each category - some schools will have a cut-off for lower sub-scores. A 28 will get you into schools when backed up with a good GPA (3.5, 3.6 +), but it won't get you into very competitive schools nor turn many heads without other things to pique an ADCOM's interest. As always, apply to many schools. I'm not saying it's impossible to get in with your score, but it won't be the thing that make ADCOMs say 'wow' about you.

toothless rufus said:
Hello! Ok, so I got a 28P (10V 9BS 9PS) the first time I took the MCAT last year, and was entertaining the idea of retaking the MCAT for this application cycle in August. I can probably do a little better, but I really don't want to go through the whole intense studying, as I work full-time and will be doing about 25hrs of research a week over the summer. I feel a little guilty not doing everything that I absolutely can to improve my app this cycle, but my heart is just not in it, and time is an issue. I would also rather devote the $210 to applying to more schools. I am applying to only DO. Thanks!

i applied this cycle with a 28 (10, 10, 8) and got into 1 osteopathic school. i am waitlisted at 1 osteopathic school and 1 allopathic. the rest are rejections. i think if you're definitely going DO, 28 is fine. but if you want to get into allopathic you will have a very hard time getting in, even with a good gpa. people told me i had a shot of getting in allopathic with a 28, but so far they have been wrong.