Should I retake the MCAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MzAllie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little about me...I'm 24, B.S. and M.S. in biology, currently adjunct faculty for anatomy and physiology...

My MCAT is 25P...science GPA 3.2 overall GPA 3.7.

I've been dreaming of getting into a DO program forever...I'm excited about finishing my application but a mentor of mine told me it's unlikely I'll get any interviews because of my MCAT!! I'm thinking my app looks pretty good....should I retake my MCAT??

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted with a 25O MCAT, 3.2cGPA, and 3.4sGPA--if your MCAT score is balanced and you apply early, you'll be fine :)

Thanks! Is it too late to apply this year?? I'm waiting on my letters of recommendations....LECOM is one of my top choices.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine with that score.

Thanks! Is it too late to apply this year?? I'm waiting on my letters of recommendations....LECOM is one of my top choices.

LORs aren't an excuse!

1. You can knock out AACOMAS in a day (assuming your personal statement is ready).
2. 2-4 weeks processing
3. a week to receive secondaries
4. two weeks to return secondaries
5. send in LORs

You're looking at the earliest a month before the LORs are even needed. By that time, it will be getting late in the cycle, but that does not mean you will not get an acceptance. Don't let your lateness affect the schools you apply to either (a mistake my good friend made). You don't want to choose a school you don't want to go to and that be the only acceptance you get.

Last edited:
LORs aren't an excuse!

1. You can knock out AACOMAS in a day.
2. 2-4 weeks processing
3. a week to receive secondaries
4. two weeks to return secondaries
5. send in LORs

You're looking at the earliest a month before the LORs are even needed. By that time, it will be getting late in the cycle, but that does not mean you will not get an acceptance. Don't let your lateness affect the schools you apply to either (a mistake my good friend made). You don't want to choose a school you don't want to go to and that be the only acceptance you get.

He's right. Apply now. LECOM doesn't even require letters unless you are selected for an interview, and it takes weeks for them to review the secondary. The letters are due anytime before the interview, which at this point will probably be January or February. So the letters are no reason to wait.

If money isn't an issue, it can't hurt you to try this cycle. LECOM's secondary is essay-free, so if it's a top choice for you, you should be able to get it turned around pretty quick (although they are later in the cycle than most other schools having started interviewing at the beginning of August.) The waitlist at LECOM tends to move quite a bit though, so even if you get waitlisted, you could still stand a pretty good chance of getting in.

A little about me...I'm 24, B.S. and M.S. in biology, currently adjunct faculty for anatomy and physiology...

My MCAT is 25P...science GPA 3.2 overall GPA 3.7.

I've been dreaming of getting into a DO program forever...I'm excited about finishing my application but a mentor of mine told me it's unlikely I'll get any interviews because of my MCAT!! I'm thinking my app looks pretty good....should I retake my MCAT??

Thank you!!

Well, Im sure someone with a lot more knowledge about this than I will chime in, but until then, here are my .02

With a science GPA on the lower side, it is recommended that you do well on the MCAT to show that you can handle the material. Is a 25 a great score? No. Does it show that you have a handle on the material, probably. I might be mistaken, but the average MCAT for all DO schools is like 26 or 27. So im sure a 25 will get you some interviews somewhere. Just apply early

You'll be fine with that score.

You'll have to decide if you want to apply this year. If you're only applying to a few schools then I would say go for it. If you're motivated enough to apply this year than finish that primary right now and get the ball rolling.

Well, Im sure someone with a lot more knowledge about this than I will chime in, but until then, here are my .02

With a science GPA on the lower side, it is recommended that you do well on the MCAT to show that you can handle the material. Is a 25 a great score? No. Does it show that you have a handle on the material, probably. I might be mistaken, but the average MCAT for all DO schools is like 26 or 27. So im sure a 25 will get you some interviews somewhere. Just apply early

I think I'm a well-rounded applicant, but you're right that my lower sGPA and MCAT could make some schools wonder about my science background....but doesn't my master's in biology show that I know probably MORE than most other applicants? (at least in bio) plus prove that I can handle graduate coursework? Or is it too much to hope that my MS will "carry" my app....

Also, thanks to everyone who answered for their help!! It's great to know that people still care about...well, people! :cool:

I would advise you to retake and apply early this next cycle. You might be able to get in somewhere, but you want to put the best possible application forth.