Should I retake the PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorCuadrado

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hi, im currently from Puerto Rico. I was a P1 student in ETSU, but I had to go back to Puerto Rico, due a medical condition the first month I started the P1. The first time I took the PCAT I scored a very low PCAT 5% composite. The second time this was my PCAT scores:

Chemistry: 82%
Quantitative Reasoning (Math): 82%
Biology: 63%
Critical Reading: 11% (English is not my first Language)
Composite: 58%

Biology B.S GPA: 3.76 (PharmCAS calculate)
Associate degree in pharmacy GPA: 3.97

Experience like pharmacy technician in pharmacy of Veterans affairs Hospital.
Papers
ACS member
Be the match member
Researchs
A great essay

I applied to NSU Puerto Rico Campus but I’m afraid, because I applied on January and I did not receive any call yet. I talked with friends in NSU and they told me NSU PR campus take MONTHS to call the candidates. And when I call them they told me “Your application is under review” and I applied in January 21.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your time

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unless the job outlook in Puerto Rico is better than in the US, I recommend with your stellar GPA to explore other healthcare fields. Also, unless the tuition at NSU doesn't cost you an arm and leg otherwise the amount of debt you will accumulate from studying pharmacy is scary and not practical nowadays. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Unless the job outlook in Puerto Rico is better than in the US, I recommend with your stellar GPA to explore other healthcare fields. Also, unless the tuition at NSU doesn't cost you an arm and leg otherwise the amount of debt you will accumulate from studying pharmacy is scary and not practical nowadays. Good luck!

It must suck to hear this from a pharmacist with a supercar.

Reactions: 1 user
It must suck to hear this from a pharmacist with a supercar.
Why do you ALWAYS talk **** about pharmacy profession? I think you are the tipical guy who was not accepted in PharmD program and now is mad with the world. I see frustration in all your comments.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you ALWAYS talk **** about pharmacy profession? I think you are the tipical guy who was not accepted in PharmD program and now is mad with the world. I see frustration in all your comments.

There is no need for insults and name calling. Everything I've said it's true.

I've been a pharmacist for 6 years. I actually have a great unicorn job right now due to connections and good timing, but opportunities like mine do not exist for new grads in 2020 or beyond.

Which brings me back to my original response. Pharmacists who have been working for years, like the guy with the Porsche, have it good. But the ship has sailed long ago.

I've been a pharmacist for 6 years. I actually have a great unicorn job right now due to connections and good timing, but opportunities like mine do not exist for new grads in 2020 or beyond.

Which brings me back to my original response. Pharmacists who have been working for years, like the guy with the Porsche, have it good. But the ship has sailed long ago.

Ignore the troll. They’ve been copying and pasting the same message in every thread every time we say something negative about the profession.

im gonna explain you the situation here in Puerto Rico, when need about 6,200 pharmacists to cover all the pharmacies and hospitals around the island. We only have 1,300 registered. The doctors in medicine (My wife) is psychiatrist we have an office and we charges $55 dollars per visits. Every visits take 1 hour. Plus we have to pay: secretary, power, water and rental. we don’t take any medical insurance, due THEY DON’T PAY.

Now the PharmD the salary is $50-$60 dollars per hour with benefits. Some places (comunnity pharmacies) pay $80/hr without benefits. And the pharmacist does not need pay power, secretary, water, etc. Now you make the simple calculation.

PS: my uncle is doctor in medicine too (generalist) and he only charges $15-$20 dollar per visit or if the insurance wants to pay $10.

All our friends are pharmacist here in PR and they really love the job here. Btw my best friend took the NAPLEX 3 months ago and today he has 7 offers of jobs.

Last edited:
Ignore the troll. They’ve been copying and pasting the same message in every thread every time we say something negative about the profession.
im gonna explain you the situation here in Puerto Rico, when need about 6,200 pharmacists to cover all the pharmacies and hospitals around the island. We only have 1,300 registered. The doctors in medicine (My wife) is psychiatrist we have an office and we charges $55 dollars per visits. Every visits take 1 hour. Plus we have to pay: secretary, power, water and rental. we don’t take any medical insurance, due THEY DON’T PAY.

Now the PharmD the salary is $50-$60 dollars per hour with benefits. Some places (comunnity pharmacies) pay $80/hr without benefits. And the pharmacist does not need pay power, secretary, water, etc. Now you make the simple calculation.

PS: my uncle is doctor in medicine too (generalist) and he only charges $15-$20 dollar per visit or if the insurance wants to pay $10.

All our friends are pharmacist here in PR and they really love the job here. Btw my best friend took the NAPLEX 3 months ago and today he has 7 offers of jobs.

Btw: I don’t really think your are “pharmacist”. The real pharmacist don’t have time to stay in the social medias in EVERY POST talking **** about the profession. They work about 12 hours per day and the other hours goes to the gym or enjoy the time with the family. Do you have family? Do you go to the GYM? I don’t think so. You have all the time of the world to stay here.

Btw: I don’t really think your are “pharmacist”. The real pharmacist don’t have time to stay in the social medias in EVERY POST talking **** about the profession. They work about 12 hours per day and the other hours goes to the gym or enjoy the time with the family. Do you have family? Do you go to the GYM? I don’t think so. You have all the time of the world to stay here.

Yes I have a wonderful wife and toddler.

Well considering all gyms are closed right now, I don't think anyone is going to the GYM.

I post on my downtime at work. You can believe what you want. Good luck getting accepted to pharmacy school!

So you're saying there's 4900 pharmacist openings paying $50-60/hr?

How is it that a pre-pharm knows so much more about the job market than pharmacists in the field now?

How is it that a pre-pharm knows so much more about the job market than pharmacists in the field now?
Because I am pharmacy technician till my 18 years old. Sow I have a lot experience in the campus. I talk about this issues with many pharmacist and the health secretary of Puerto Rico,I worked for VA Hospital in tha pharmacy for 4 years and I work actually with the DEA.

Yes, im saying today March 24, 2020 there‘s about 4,900 pharm entry level jobs opens. You can move here to PR and live like a king if you really are “pharmacist”

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

and tell me... where did you study? “doctorrrr in pharmacy”? Hahahahaha

Because I am pharmacy technician till my 18 years old. Sow I have a lot experience in the campus. I talk about this issues with many pharmacist and the health secretary of Puerto Rico,I worked for VA Hospital in tha pharmacy for 4 years and I work actually with the DEA.

Yes, im saying today March 24, 2020 there‘s about 4,900 pharm entry level jobs opens. You can move here to PR and live like a king if you really are “pharmacist”

No thanks, I have no desire to live there. I'm happy up here in New England.

Well, take care “doctor in pharmacy” LOL

Thanks buddy. Why is "Doctor" in your name? I thought you were a pharmacy tech applying for pharmacy school? Are you applying for medical school to become a doctor?

Last edited:
Thanks buddy. Why is "Doctor" in your name? I thought you were a pharmacy tech applying for pharmacy school? Are you applying for medical school to become a doctor?
Hey dude! Is just a NICK NAME HAHAHAHAHAHA I don’t put in my bio or something that im “Pharmacist” is a NICK NAME! Or you don’t know the definition of “Nick Name”......
“Doctor mentos”

PharmD Mentos

• Haha
Hey dude! Is just a NICK NAME HAHAHAHAHAHA I don’t put in my bio or something that im “Pharmacist” is a NICK NAME! Or you don’t know the definition of “Nick Name”......
“Doctor mentos”

PharmD Mentos

Don't call me doctor, I'm a pharmacist.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Hi, im currently from Puerto Rico. I was a P1 student in ETSU, but I had to go back to Puerto Rico, due a medical condition the first month I started the P1. The first time I took the PCAT I scored a very low PCAT 5% composite. The second time this was my PCAT scores:

Chemistry: 82%
Quantitative Reasoning (Math): 82%
Biology: 63%
Critical Reading: 11% (English is not my first Language)
Composite: 58%

Biology B.S GPA: 3.76 (PharmCAS calculate)
Associate degree in pharmacy GPA: 3.97

Experience like pharmacy technician in pharmacy of Veterans affairs Hospital.
Papers
ACS member
Be the match member
Researchs
A great essay

I applied to NSU Puerto Rico Campus but I’m afraid, because I applied on January and I did not receive any call yet. I talked with friends in NSU and they told me NSU PR campus take MONTHS to call the candidates. And when I call them they told me “Your application is under review” and I applied in January 21.

Any suggestions? Thanks for your time
Dude, I am a new grad. I can say from experience in the job search that it is tough to find a job in a desirable city and now it is tough to find a job in a rural America. According to BLS, pharmacy job growth is 0% in 30 years. And this pandemic COVID19 has increased the process of cutting retail pharmacist hours, and clinical pharmacist hours.

With your stellar GPA, have you considered USMD school or PA school or Nursing school+ a top NP school? Those are the professions that are in demand now and will be in demand during the COVID19 crisis

Dude, I am a new grad. I can say from experience in the job search that it is tough to find a job in a desirable city and now it is tough to find a job in a rural America. According to BLS, pharmacy job growth is 0% in 30 years. And this pandemic COVID19 has increased the process of cutting retail pharmacist hours, and clinical pharmacist hours.

With your stellar GPA, have you considered USMD school or PA school or Nursing school+ a top NP school? Those are the professions that are in demand now and will be in demand during the COVID19 crisis
Hi, did you read the last posted? I really don’t have any desire of move to US, I will be honest I hate the life style there. Here in Puerto Rico doesn’t exist PA profession and NP. Nurse is OVER OVER SATURATE here and the pay is $8/hr. MD is $50/hr. And PharmD is $50-$60. Now you can understand me? :/ It’s hard because I really like MD Program but I will not gonna study for 4-6 years to receive $55 per hour or per visit.

Hi, did you read the last posted? I really don’t have any desire of move to US, I will be honest I hate the life style there. Here in Puerto Rico doesn’t exist PA profession and NP. Nurse is OVER OVER SATURATE here and the pay is $8/hr. MD is $50/hr. And PharmD is $50-$60. Now you can understand me? :/ It’s hard because I really like MD Program but I will not gonna study for 4-6 years to receive $55 per hour or per visit.
What do you plan to do once you get a pharmacy degree? Become a clinical pharmacist? There is no way a clinical pharmacist makes more than a physician, if money is what you are interested in. Clinical pharmacist do not generate any revenue for a hospital, and are expensive overhead. If money is what you are mainly interested in rather than the clinical, you could do hospital administration or hospital management. Also, there are not many jobs even in Puerto Rico. I am sure as a physician, you will find more job postings in Puerto Rico than a pharmacist

Don't call me doctor, I'm a pharmacist.
Dude, you really need a psychiatrist. You have a very low self-esteem with your profession and you personality. Find the definition of “doctor” in Google, since I see that you don't even know that. I will make you a proposal, I will talk to my wife to take care of you, she can assess you and send you the medications via E-prescribing to a CVS or Walgreens nearby anywhere in the United States. The best of all is that we will not charge you. It’s free for you! What do you think? ”Doctor...”

What do you plan to do once you get a pharmacy degree? Become a clinical pharmacist? There is no way a clinical pharmacist makes more than a physician, if money is what you are interested in. Clinical pharmacist do not generate any revenue for a hospital, and are expensive overhead. If money is what you are mainly interested in rather than the clinical, you could do hospital administration or hospital management. Also, there are not many jobs even in Puerto Rico. I am sure as a physician, you will find more job postings in Puerto Rico than a pharmacist
Yes, Clinic pharmacist. Oh ok, yes make sanse here in PR the clinical pharmacist practically does not exist. Just at VA Hospital. I’m thinking take the MBA with the PharmD, due I have business plans here in Puerto Rico (open specialty pharmacy).

I really think this depend on where do you want to live for the rest of your live. Because the physician here not make good money and they go to US. You can find on glassdoor the average of physician vs pharmacist here in Puerto Rico. Trust me, you will Surprise.

Many community pharmacies offer pharmacists up to $ 100 / hr. Because there is no pharmacist. I tell you because I have worked with several and I have seen it. Not to mention that they pay cash and under the table.

Dude, you really need a psychiatrist. You have a very low self-esteem with your profession and you personality. Find the definition of “doctor” in Google, since I see that you don't even know that. I will make you a proposal, I will talk to my wife to take care of you, she can assess you and send you the medications via E-prescribing to a CVS or Walgreens nearby anywhere in the United States. The best of all is that we will not charge you. It’s free for you! What do you think? ”Doctor...”

A pharmacist is not a doctor. If you want to be called doctor, then go to medical school and become a real doctor.

:Yells insults at stranger on anonymous forum:

:Tells anonymous stranger he has low self esteem and needs to see psychiatrist:

• Haha
A pharmacist is not a doctor. If you want to be called doctor, then go to medical school and become a real doctor.

:Yells insults at stranger on anonymous forum:

:Tells anonymous stranger he has low self esteem and needs to see psychiatrist:
Now say it with out crying! LOL if SDN ban me I just will create another account! ‍♂️ And I have all the time of the world until august! LOL

I really think this depend on where do you want to live for the rest of your live. Because the physician here not make good money and they go to US. You can find on glassdoor the average of physician vs pharmacist here in Puerto Rico. Trust me, you will Surprise.
That maybe true. But, I assure you that you will find more job postings as a physician compared to a pharmacist. Last time I did a google search, Puerto Rico only had two pharmacy openings

• Haha
That maybe true. But, I assure you that you will find more job postings as a physician compared to a pharmacist. Last time I did a google search, Puerto Rico only had two pharmacy openings

According to him, there are 4900 pharmacists needed in Puerto Rico.

• Haha