Should I retake PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dorl618

Reaction score
Hi,
I took PCAT in July and my scores are
BIO 73
Reading 65
QR 89
CHEM 86
Writing 3.5
Composite 83

I think my PCAT score itself is not too bad, but my GPA is low, like between 2.9-3.0 (on 4.0 scale).
Should I retake PCAT in September?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

No, anything above 70 is an indication that you would pass the NAPLEX if you study the same amount you did for the PCAT. Just apply with that. If you don’t get in, thank your lucky stars you avoided a bad situation. If you do get in, I wish you lots of luck. I am pretty sure you will get in somewhere though. I don’t think many people with good GPAs are applying to pharmacy school since the potential to get a job after graduation doesn’t look too good anymore.

Do you think it's still competitive for the schools like University of Buffalo and Maryland? I might have to aim for like 90th percentile or above for those schools?
Kiddo...do yourself a favor and forget the pharmacy biz...At best it is high speed drudgery...at worst..you won't even get hired to be a drudge...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think it's still competitive for the schools like University of Buffalo and Maryland? I might have to aim for like 90th percentile or above for those schools?

I don't know those schools, I'm in California. Look at their average acceptance stats then. To be fair, overall right now, 90% of applicants get into pharmacy school that's why people are so against going to pharmacy school. Your chances of not getting into a school is pretty low...haha

Hi,
BIO 73
Reading 65
QR 89
CHEM 86
Writing 3.5
Composite 83

I think my PCAT score itself is not too bad, but my GPA is low, like between 2.9-3.0 (on 4.0 scale).
Thank you!

I would advise AGAINST applying to pharm school at all costs

Your grades are good enough to get into any of the new schools. Good luck in 4 years.
OP should not aim for a new school. If they are going to go in to pharmacy, they need to go to a school that will provide them top networking opportunities and the best chance to match in to a residency at the end of their 4th year.

Hi,
BIO 73
Reading 65
QR 89
CHEM 86
Writing 3.5
Composite 83

Thank you!
Since your GPA is definitely on the lower end for top schools, I would recommend you take it again to get a 90+ composite. The newer schools are really nothing but scams. We are getting to the point with the saturation that it does matter where you went to school in terms of getting a residency or landing a job.

OP should not aim for a new school. If they are going to go in to pharmacy, they need to go to a school that will provide them top networking opportunities and the best chance to match in to a residency at the end of their 4th year.

Does going to a older, established school make much of a difference when there are no jobs? And all the excess grads will take lower pay. I know plenty of recent grads from good programs, USC, UCSF in California that are still jobless from 2019.

Even now the better schools still average around a 3.4-3.5 GPA to get in. Much lower than back in the day but still not at the 3.0 level. BUT 3.0 gets you into pharmacy school since the acceptance rate is 85%, so why stress out now and retake the test when he doesn't need to.

Does going to a older, established school make much of a difference when there are no jobs? And all the excess grads will take lower pay. I know plenty of recent grads from good programs, USC, UCSF in California that are still jobless from 2019.

Even now the better schools still average around a 3.4-3.5 GPA to get in. Much lower than back in the day but still not at the 3.0 level. BUT 3.0 gets you into pharmacy school since the acceptance rate is 85%, so why stress out now and retake the test when he doesn't need to.

The job market is saturated for sure, but it isn't to the point where there are absolutely no jobs, at least in my area (Michigan). The worst of the schools in my area had about a 25% unemployment rate last year, which don't get me wrong is horrible, but still 75% found some sort of job. The idea is that if you go to an institution that is considered to be top 5 or top 10 in the nation, those openings, however rare they may be, are more likely to go to you. Going beyond jobs right after graduation, where we are stand today, a residency is becoming increasingly important to pursue and that is something that is definitely affected by the institution you attend.