Should I retake these classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeremmed77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am graduating in a year with a 3.6 gpa and will be taking the mcat after finishing up the prerequisites at a community college (I know this is looked down upon but I cannot afford to stay at the university). So far I have a D in an upper level English course (Took this at the same community college), a C in an upper level psychology class, and another C in General Chemistry two.

Since I cannot fit any of these classes into my schedule for the next year, I decided to retake the English class (Which is only offered at the community college) and the Chemistry (Which I took at a four year university) before I apply. I want to retake the chemistry class at the community college instead of the university. I have a couple of questions regarding this situation.

1.) Would DO schools replace the Chemistry grade if it was originally taken at a four year university, but retaken at a community college?

2.) Would it be better to retake the D I got in English versus the C I got in Chemistry?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

IMO... retaking C's is not the beneficial. Meets the cut off for most schools pre-reqs.

Re-taking the D in English can benefit you at schools that require a C in a pre-req.

Just retake them and ace them, this will improve your already decent GPA. And yes to your first question, doesn't matter where you take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 to what Codblue said.

Taking upper level courses may be better than simply taking the same course again, especially if you passed the course.