frenzysword

2+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I took DAT in 2019 and scored

AA20/TS21
Bio: 21 OC:21 GC:20 RC:21 QR:19 PAT:19

I am a New York resident currently 24 years old now and trying to apply NYU dental school (my top choice) this year. My GPA is 3.74.

I really thought my score is OK, but I have seen more people getting score+23, and my friend got 27. She is recommending me retake DAT, any thoughts or advice?

I am not really sure where I will end up with.

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
Non-Student
You have a great GPA and good scores, you should not have a problem with acceptances, but your best bet is to contact NYU is that is your top choice and discuss you stats with them, if you are in the local area you can even go in person. The school will be able to give you the best advice.

Nancy

OP
F

frenzysword

2+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
You have a great GPA and good scores, you should not have a problem with acceptances, but your best bet is to contact NYU is that is your top choice and discuss you stats with them, if you are in the local area you can even go in person. The school will be able to give you the best advice.

Nancy
Wow! Thank you for the reply! I was really worried about it and thinking about retaking XD, but feeling much better now. I will concentrate on the other parts of my applications. Thanks again!

Reactions: orgoman22
About the Ads
OP
F

frenzysword

2+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical

Nancy
And thanks for the advise, I live in Brooklyn, so it is close to NYU. I will go there when I get a chance and ask them about the admission.

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
Non-Student
And thanks for the advise, I live in Brooklyn, so it is close to NYU. I will go there when I get a chance and ask them about the admission.
Dress for success when you go in, and you will get advice from the people who know the answers, but IMO, you have a great chance. Make sure the rest of your application is strong and includes a strong personal statement.

Keep us posted!

Nancy

Kenshin_Med

2+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2015
Status
Dental Student

AA20/TS21

I am a New York resident currently 24 years old now and trying to apply NYU dental school (my top choice) this year. My GPA is 3.74.

I really thought my score is OK, but I have seen more people getting score+23, and my friend got 27. She is recommending me retake DAT, any thoughts or advice?

Can I ask you why NYU is your top choice?

Jan 27, 2019

AA20/TS21

Greats stats but NYU should never be anyone's top choice even if you currently live a throwing distance from it. Just my opinion.

Reactions: artist2022

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
Non-Student
Greats stats but NYU should never be anyone's top choice even if you currently live a throwing distance from it. Just my opinion.
Many of my students in the NYC area like NYU which is a great dental school. Also many students have a parent/relative that attended NYU dental and like to keep the family tradition. Depending on the culture some families prefer their children stay in the NYC area and close to home. Sometimes if students live close enough to the dental school that can live at home and commute to class making the total cost lower. Just my 2 cents but perhaps the OP will have a different reason.

Nancy

Reactions: frenzysword
Jan 27, 2019
Many of my students in the NYC area like NYU which is a great dental school. Also many students have a parent/relative that attended NYU dental and like to keep the family tradition. Depending on the culture some families prefer their children stay in the NYC area and close to home. Sometimes if students live close enough to the dental school that can live at home and commute to class making the total cost lower. Just my 2 cents but perhaps the OP will have a different reason.

Nancy
I completely understand this but I think students should think deep and hard about the consequences of their decisions and should put aside preference due to tradition, emotional attachment, prestige, family dependency (people refusing to grow up). Dental school is the place you go to get a license, period. To satisfy any of these factors is a luxury that only a few dental students can enjoy without serious financial consequences. Yes, people should try to go somewhere where they have social support but be careful, if that’s the sole reason someone is choosing a school, they’ll probably continue to enjoy living in their parents’ basement for years following graduation cause that’s all they can afford.

OP
F

frenzysword

2+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
The biggest reason is I have not done much researches about dental schools. The only school that comes right top of head is NYU for now because it is really really close, so I want to make sure that I can get in. But, definitely, I will apply broadly when the application starts like at least 8 schools, by the time I will have done more researches.

To answer the question, there are several reasons why I would like to pick NYU is my first choice (for now). I think the biggest reason is the convenience. It takes about around 40 minutes from my home to school by trains, so ultimately I will decrease the cost for living expenses. The second reason is because of the affiliation and future plan. I really want to live in a noisy and crowd city such as NYC where I can see a lot of people walking around. So after I graduate from dental school, I will stay and work there. If I go to other states where less population, I probably will leave eventually... The third reason is personal... I am an Asian male 24, and almost have been single since I was born...I guess I am not very attractive, and there are less Asian population in other states except NYC and California...so yeah!

• Love
Reactions: orgoman22
OP
F

frenzysword

2+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
There are some schools in my list now: NYU, Upen, Boston U, Buffalo U, Tufts, UCLA, Columbia (I am not sure I should apply cuz my stats below the average, but guess I will give a shot). I am happy and thanksful if anyone can give me advice by adding to or removing from the list.

Jan 27, 2019
The biggest reason is I have not done much researches about dental schools. The only school that comes right top of head is NYU for now because it is really really close, so I want to make sure that I can get in. But, definitely, I will apply broadly when the application starts like at least 8 schools, by the time I will have done more researches.

To answer the question, there are several reasons why I would like to pick NYU is my first choice (for now). I think the biggest reason is the convenience. It takes about around 40 minutes from my home to school by trains, so ultimately I will decrease the cost for living expenses. The second reason is because of the affiliation and future plan. I really want to live in a noisy and crowd city such as NYC where I can see a lot of people walking around. So after I graduate from dental school, I will stay and work there. If I go to other states where less population, I probably will leave eventually... The third reason is personal... I am an Asian male 24, and almost have been single since I was born...I guess I am not very attractive, and there are less Asian population in other states except NYC and California...so yeah!
Am 30 yo middle eastern and I met the woman I married when I was 28 and she didn't even live in my state lol. You'll be fine I promise. If you go to a cheaper school you'll have more money in your pocket after graduation that could definitely improve your dating game cause there's nothing worse than trying to date while broke!!

About the Ads