Should I Retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inked01

Reaction score
26A40CF4-71F6-400D-8CFF-8072E703FC26.jpeg

Hi everyone,
I am looking at a particular school and it says “admissions committee prefers this course be taken with 5 years of application date”.

In Fall 2012, I got a B in Gen Chem 1 and A- in Gen Chem I Lab. In Summer 2013, I got a B- in Physics 1 and A- in Physics 1 Lab.

Should I retake them? I know it’s been about 10 years, but to me “preferred” does not mean required. Also, looking at a time/money standpoint. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Best.

Members don't see this ad.

View attachment 359327

Hi everyone,
I am looking at a particular school and it says “admissions committee prefers this course be taken with 5 years of application date”.

In Fall 2012, I got a B in Gen Chem 1 and A- in Gen Chem I Lab. In Summer 2013, I got a B- in Physics 1 and A- in Physics 1 Lab.

Should I retake them? I know it’s been about 10 years, but to me “preferred” does not mean required. Also, looking at a time/money standpoint. Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Best.
Preferred means that people who have done what they want will be in better standing than those who don't.

Have you taken the MCAT yet? Ten years is a long time and knowledge decay is real.

Note that this is one of the few times I disagree with my learned colleague!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Preferred means that people who have done what they want will be in better standing than those who don't.

Have you taken the MCAT yet? Ten years is a long time and knowledge decay is real.

I agree with @Goro, I'd need to see your MCAT score before considering retaking courses if you are on a budget.

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro @Mr.Smile12 @GoSpursGo — Thank you for your responses. I have not completed all my pre-reqs yet. I am a nontraditional student. I still need to take physics 2 & lab, organic chemistry 1 & 2 with labs and potentially biochemistry.

Therefore, I haven’t taken the MCAT yet

I think we are likely more or less aligned when taking into account the MCAT/remaining pre-reqs question, and I was probably a little more flippant than I normally would be. I think if they complete the remaining pre-reqs and then take the MCAT and get a 510, that will demonstrate mastery of the material. I struggle to imagine a school questioning gen chem 1 knowledge if she got an "A" in O chem. However, one can reasonably question whether that is a likely outcome if the material hasn't been seen in 10 years. It really depends on how confident the OP feels in her retention of the material.

To @Goro 's point, OP, don't try and cut corners in the name of saving a couple thousand dollars in the short term. If you don't remember the material, you would do much better to retake the classes rather than to jump in and dig yourself a hole by performing poorly in a class like O chem that you're not ready for. That would be a much more expensive mistake in the long run.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users