Should I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

scottydsntkno

Scottydoesntknow
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes I know there is a thread for this, but it is absolutely dead right now and I have been very stressed.

I took the July 7th mcat (biggest mistake ever apparently) and received a 10/10/10.

My averages were 34-36 on aamcs and I never get less than 12 on the sciences. On the exam, I felt really good on the sciences (even Better than on practice exams) finished with plenty of time, double checked - the whole nine yards. Basically, I don't feel like my score is my own, but enough of a rant because it this point there isn't muchi can do about it.

I have a 3.98 gpa and went from thinking I was competitive at top 20s to scared I won't get into my state school (ct res). I know I can score higher but it's too late at this point to sign up for a retake.

Should I hold off a year and retake or spend a year desperately trying to get into an average school, despite the fact I know I can do better.

God i just don't understand how an mcat could have gone so awry... This should scare future mcat takers.
 
Few people will be sympathetic to your plight, which is why you are getting zero replies. You're complaining about having a good chance of getting into an "average" school (and 3.98/30 MCAT is a good set of numbers to have), while some people are fighting for the chance to get into any school at all. The prevailing opinion on these forums: don't be too picky. If the rest of your application looks good, don't waste a year trying to (maybe) boost your MCAT. If your resume sucks (i.e. no research, no volunteering, very little clinical), then you might be justified in taking a gap year to study for the MCAT/retake/boost your resume.
 
Will you be comfortable attending an "average" school? What's more valuable to you, attending a prestigious/competitive school like you wanted to, or a year's time and the effort to retake?

Suppose it was more extreme: AAMC average of 37+ and I score a 30. Would I retake? Yes. That said, I would have taken the exam early enough in the year to allow time for a retake for the same cycle. Had I taken it too late to allow a retake, would I take a year to retake? Actually, yeah, I probably would. If I thought my application wasn't representative of my qualifications, I wouldn't apply with it. Just me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree. I am also a CT resident with a 3.98. I just re-took the MCAT to boost my score from 25 into the (probably) high 20s to low 30s range. I would be thrilled to get into UCONN, but may end up in New York, Maine, or Virginia. But, to each his own. If you are dead-set on a top 20 school (call me naive, but I don't understand what their draw is- many of them have sub-par campus locations, and none of them can guarantee better student life or career outlook) retake the MCAT and get a 38. Then, you still might not get in where you want.

If you'd rather not spend a year boosting your resume, own your application, and trust that you can turn any acceptance into a first-rate medical education.
 
I really appreciate your advice everyone. And pan, you are very correct I'm sorry to put others down by saying I'm not satisfied with my scores. I just feel I wasnt able to demonstrate my abilities, and I spent 3 months studying for this test.

For more info, I have good ecs, well rounded and long term - inc. research, clinical exp. etc.

Do I have a chance at nyu or bu? They have always been dream schools for me.
 
I think you have a really balanced score, which is a really good thing.

Yes, it would be nice to have a higher total. But I would think that a balanced, although a bit lower total, score is much better than a higher total but really unbalanced score. And I, myself, am an example of this. I scored 32Q in my first actual test but my score is very uneven (14/8/10).

HOWEVER, if you think you have the potential to improve, if you're willing to put in the time, then I would say definitely go for it.

You know yourself better than anyone. So if you think that you can do better and are confident, then you should re-take.