should I rewrite personal statement???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medready

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im reapplying (DO & MD) and I have a question that need answering so here goes

Could I reuse the same personal statement I used last cycle? ok maybe not exactly the same but one with minor changes addressing why im applying again and what Ive done the past year. It took me weeks to finish my PS and I really want to apply as early as possible. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

sorry, could a MOD move this into the reapplying MD/DO board. thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Im reapplying (DO & MD) and I have a question that need answering so here goes

Could I reuse the same personal statement I used last cycle? ok maybe not exactly the same but one with minor changes addressing why im applying again and what Ive done the past year. It took me weeks to finish my PS and I really want to apply as early as possible. thanks

I would totally start from scratch. Its hard to make drastic changes on your app in just a year and the PS is one of the places where you can. I think having some of the same sentences spread throughout would be ok, but I would not simply cut and paste paragraphs. There are a couple of good books out there with a lot of good PS's from sucessful applicants, read them for inspiration!

Rewrite it completely. Absolutely.

Definitely rewrite it, but I don't know if I'd go so far as the previous posters have mentioned and rewrite the entire thing.

I'm a re-applicant, and what I did was simply take passages that I liked from my previous personal statement and re-organize them, rewriting transitions and some other elements to make my story more cohesive.

Unless you feel that your PS was the specific reason that you weren't accepted anywhere, there's no reason to completely rewrite it, considering that your reasons and evidence for applying to medical school probably are going to remain largely the same (aside from the additional updated activities you've done in the past year or two). Salvage what good parts you can, unless the entire thing was crap.

Doing this resulted in me going from one interview last cycle to nine interviews this cycle, so at least it wasn't much of a negative.

I think that most schools keep your previous applications on file. Therefore they will have your old personal statement already. That said, you might apply to new schools, so you will probably have to keep some of your old personal statement in there (sure the major reasons why you want to be a doctor hasn't changed). Just make sure to add new and recent information to it.

Thanks guys for your responses. I had read somewhere that schools keep files of students and I didnt want to come across as lazy by resubmitting the same PS from a past cycle. I dont think my PS was bad and I'll rewrite certain sections. BTW do you guys think I should address why I'm applying again or should I leave that for my secondaries?

Yes. The medical school will keep your application from last year and they will compare it to the one that you submit this year. Don't make the mistake of not taking this application seriously and showing how you have changed throughout this year.

Make a new personal statement and re-write your EC's.

About the reapplying.. Leave that for your secondaries.

Last edited:
As a reapplicant, you want to improve is as many areas as possible. You may want to keep some of the general ideas, but I would rewrite it.

Think of it this way, it didn't help you get in anywhere so maybe it can be improved along with the rest of your app.

Agreed with most of the posts above. I developed my PS from a few of the same core concepts, but reworked it in a completely different way. Make sure you get several people to look over it as well.

I adressed reapplying in my secondaries and interview when appropriate.

What do you guys think about having the same letters of rec sent for re-apps? Since they have our PS already, will they want new letters as well?

Is it normal to have the same people send the same letters?

I would totally start from scratch. Its hard to make drastic changes on your app in just a year and the PS is one of the places where you can. I think having some of the same sentences spread throughout would be ok, but I would not simply cut and paste paragraphs. There are a couple of good books out there with a lot of good PS's from sucessful applicants, read them for inspiration!

Can you suggest a few books for reference please? I look forward to your reply. Hopefully very soon. :)

Thanks in advance!

What do you guys think about having the same letters of rec sent for re-apps? Since they have our PS already, will they want new letters as well?

Is it normal to have the same people send the same letters?

I hope ADCOM don't expect a new set of LOR. It was a pain in the ***** to get these :laugh::laugh:. I plan on resending the same LOR only cause I cant really go back to my old school and track down my old prof.

I hope ADCOM don't expect a new set of LOR. It was a pain in the ***** to get these :laugh::laugh:. I plan on resending the same LOR only cause I cant really go back to my old school and track down my old prof.

Mee too! Hey did you keep a copy of the LORs to send them again yourself? Or are u just going to contact the professors to send the same one again?

You can actually forward some your letters to your current application. But, I would make your application look different. They don't want to find the same application in their hands. You should really retake the mcat, something drastic to enhance your chances of getting accepted.

Mee too! Hey did you keep a copy of the LORs to send them again yourself? Or are u just going to contact the professors to send the same one again?

My undergrad school has a Health professional letter service which sends out my LOR. I'll be bothering them again this year :laugh: