should I say my sister has schizophrenia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mucha

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I write this in my personal statement, as I see that psych has helped a great deal my sister.
Or should I avoid it?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

it's basically a crap shoot. i just don't know that it will keep you out of your program. do you want your program to know this? that's the question. including this is disclosing information that they don't need to know. it's not that it will be detrimental; but do you want them to know? if this is one of the reasons you chose the field, let them know. they won't discrimate, i don't think. :rolleyes:

I have seen how psych helped my sister and it is one of the reasons I want to do psych. There are other reasons too.
I just didn't want them to discriminate, or to think I am at increased risk in the future because of mental family history .
Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad :)
mucha said:
I have seen how psych helped my sister and it is one of the reasons I want to do psych. There are other reasons too.
I just didn't want them to discriminate, or to think I am at increased risk in the future because of mental family history .
Thanks for your input!

to be honest, at my interview at the program i'm at currently, the program director asked me so many questions about my past that i was unable to conceal any of it. it worked out well, and i got into a fairly competitive program.

so do not worry about honesty. i'm a cautious person, but it turns out that honesty worked well for me.

good luck to you. :)

Thanks, I'm reassured!